Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:34 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Working class voters are supporting Trump because the Democrats have abandoned them, plain, and simple.
Working class Whites are the fastest shrinking electoral demographic ... why should Democrats (or any political party for that matter) waste time with them when they could be attracting the votes of demographics that are actually growing (such as Asians, Hispanics, and college educated Millennials)?

This is the problem with the GOP. We have zero appeal beyond angry old White people stuck in the 1950s in a nation that is increasingly diverse and doesent really care for guns, Bibles, and fear of Brown people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 08:35 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Globalization and automation. There will always be someplace cheaper than the US for factories and the like. We cannot punish businesses to stay in the US.

At any rate people should strive for achieving higher education. Even just an Associates Degree from a 2 year community college will go further than a high school diploma.
This is nothing new ... anyone should strive to make themselves more marketable, but there will always be middle-class mail carriers, plumbers, electricians, landscapers, restaurant managers, etc.

If unbridled legal and illegal immigration continues, there will come a point where the working population will far exceed the number of available jobs. I'm not saying globalization of jobs should stop, but we should be trying to retain businesses and protect our own citizens rather than ship/outsource everything overseas. We should also stop importing H-1B workers at the expense of American citizens. The path we're on will just lead to more government dependence, but I suspect that's exactly what some want.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:41 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Working class Whites are the fastest shrinking electoral demographic ... why should Democrats (or any political party for that matter) waste time with them when they could be attracting the votes of demographics that are actually growing (such as Asians, Hispanics, and college educated Millennials)?

This is the problem with the GOP. We have zero appeal beyond angry old White people stuck in the 1950s in a nation that is increasingly diverse and doesent really care for guns, Bibles, and fear of Brown people.

I thought that the Democrats represented the working class? I mean, they have been saying that for decades. Are you saying that the Democrats represent the working class, just not white working class people?

So you are saying that the Democrats are racist.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:44 PM

61 posts, read 48,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Dude, you just got annihilated, give it up.

Trump has already stated that he makes no apologies for have his ties made over seas. He's a businessman, he works within the rules, like everyone else. At least he's willing to address the problem.

Working class voters are supporting Trump because the Democrats have abandoned them, plain, and simple.
Right. It's fine for Trump to be a hypocrite because he's a businessman.

If Trump so anti-shipping jobs overseas, he would make his suits in the United States. Period. He's just pretending like he cares because he knows dupes like you will fall for it.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:06 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
It has to do with Washington fleecing the American people. They rather listen to special interests and lobbyists instead of what problems the American people have, unemployment, stagnant wages, higher cost of living and medical costs going through the roof.

Reasons for that ... jobs going overseas and to mexico, stagnant wages due to illegals taking jobs in all sectors, including white collar industry.. our states are giving free college to illegals.. higher cost of living, food costs go up with free food giving to too many people.. supply and demand.. people on food stamps pay any price for food because it is free.

Medical costs higher because included in everyones bill is the cost of illegals who get medical care free and the paying people have to pay more to cover the free cost so the high medical bills we get can keep the hospital doors open and pay their costs for free bees.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
I've thought about why some people see Trump as a solution to our (their) problems, and I think it boils down to a few factors:

1) Trump is wealthy, and some people feel his success in business will make him a good manager of our country. They feel "He got rich by being smart and running the country can't be much different from running a company."

2) Trump is a good salesman. He knows what hot buttons to push.........."We need to stop foreigners from coming here and blowing us up." "We need to build a wall so illegal aliens can't come in and take our jobs." "We need to stop giving all our money to other countries....keep our workers here working."

3) Trump is LOUDER than the other candidates. He is super enthusiastic and the other candidates look pretty lame in that regard.......they do not evoke excitement and power the way he does.

All of those things appeal to Joe Lunchbucket. He/she see a rich man and think he got there by being smart and that will trickle down to us." They see their factories closing and think it is because our jobs have gone overseas and to Mexico.........he is saying that will stop, so we will get our jobs back. Finally, his loudness and brash attitude come across as being as angry as they are, and he "says what he thinks." Lots of people secretly (and not so secretly) dislike people from other countries, and someone saying he will keep them out echos what they are thinking themselves.

Me, I don't buy a damn thing he is saying or any of his ideas. That "wall" he is proposing has to rank right up there with one of the dumbest ideas anyone has ever come up with. Even if it could be constructed, who would pay for such a huge white elephant ? And that is just one of his "brainstorms" that is beyond idiotic. (Plus, it would take the Mexican illegals about a week to start tunneling under it or catapulting over it !)

Don

Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 PM

15,533 posts, read 10,507,413 times
" Why do non-college and blue collar white men have such an affinity for Trump? "

Why do male college graduates do well with Trump? Look at the exit polls, he does well with them too. I think a lot of people use the online tax calculators. I did best with Trump, not so good with Bernie.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Me, I don't buy a damn thing he is saying or any of his ideas. That "wall" he is proposing has to rank right up there with one of the dumbest ideas anyone has ever come up with. Even if it could be constructed, who would pay for such a huge white elephant ? And that is just one of his "brainstorms" that is beyond idiotic. (Plus, it would take the Mexican illegals about a week to start tunneling under it or catapulting over it !)

Don
Good for you ... as far as the wall, Mexico will pay some of it for sure either in a reduced trade deficit or cash. How about we take some of that $150 billion we paid Iran and put it toward securing our own country ? What do you suggest Don for border security as what we have today ain't working ?

And as for Joe Lunchbucket ... he and his wife make up the majority of American voters so the candidates had better be listening. The government is a business and should be run that way. IMO, Trump is the man to run the business and broker bipartisan deals with the establishment.

Let's hear some of your ideas to fix what's wrong ... at least Trump has some.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
" Why do non-college and blue collar white men have such an affinity for Trump? "

Why do male college graduates do well with Trump? Look at the exit polls, he does well with them too. I think a lot of people use the online tax calculators. I did best with Trump, not so good with Bernie.
I don't need an online calculator to see that everyone but Trump wants more of the same. I'd even be willing to pay more to see the border secured, trade deficits reduced, the national debt reduced, cheaper health care, manufacturing jobs return to the U.S., and ISIS annihilated.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:32 PM

617 posts, read 349,313 times
"Why do non-college and blue collar white men have such an affinity for Trump?"

Because they have more common sense than the average college grad.

And what does white have to do with anything other than making you look foolish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections