Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:42 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
Trump....has surfed a wave of free media to the mistaken conclusion that winning a nomination involves no more forethought than he gives to policy. He thinks he can fly in, stroke a crowd's ideological erogenous zones, then fly away.
Worked for Obama.

Last edited by dechatelet; 04-07-2016 at 05:55 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
George Will is an old, grumpy man.
His columns have always been musty, long-winded, directionless, and boring.

They're like him -- pale, shriveled up and myopic.

You practically have to brush the cobwebs off as you read him.

All in all, an impotent blabber mouth.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:53 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Worked for Obama.
I guess those who've continually whined about Obama for 7+ years who now support Trump are hellbent on confirming Einstein's definition of insanity then, eh?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:07 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The saddest bit of all though, is the fact that his supporters know all this but still don't care. They are a cult of personality. The most truthful comment Trump has made so far is when he said, he could "stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody" and wouldn't lose votes.
The saddest bit of it all is that people think that George Will is relevant or correct. Will is stuck in 1964.

He's been wrong about Trump since day 1 of the campaign.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I guess those who've continually whined about Obama for 7+ years who now support Trump are hellbent on confirming Einstein's definition of insanity then, eh?
Trump's just doing what he needs to do in order to get elected.

And it seems to be working so far -- he's way ahead of his opponents.

As I said, it worked for Obama.

In fact, all politicians are vague and speak in superficial sound bites.

But Trump is different in that 1) he doesn't use speech writers and teleprompters, and 2) he isn't being told what to say by Wall Street, unions, and other special interests.

If George Will weren't so blinded by his hatred of Trump, he wouldn't show himself to be so transparently guilty of subscribing to a double-standard by condemning Trump for doing the very same things all other politicians do.

George Will and the Republican Establishment hate Trump for one reason and one reason only -- they can't control him.

And that's fine with me, considering the lousy job they've done for the last 30 years.

Last edited by dechatelet; 04-07-2016 at 11:40 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 11:21 PM

952 posts, read 518,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Looks like the anti-Trump crowd are out in force after Wisconsin. Chill out! Nothing has changed. Cruz was behind before Wisconsin, he is behind after Wisconsin. Now, he is standing on the deck of his ship looking at the monstrous storm gathering ahead. His ship is dead in the water and his navigator has no clue how to sail around the storm. Good luck, Ted.
In what universe is the fact that you can make Ted Cruz look bad a cause for back slapping and high fives?

Cruz does his own good job of that and you all want to cheer some beers, yip and holler and take credit for it?

Old 04-08-2016, 12:07 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
Quote:
Attached is a link to the article by the Washington Post columnist.

Brief excerpt: Regarding policy, he is flummoxed by predictable abortion questions because he has been pro-life for only 15 minutes, and because he has lived almost seven decades without giving a scintilla of thought to any serious policy question. Regarding process, Trump, who recently took a week-long vacation from campaigning, has surfed a wave of free media to the mistaken conclusion that winning a nomination involves no more forethought than he gives to policy. He thinks he can fly in, stroke a crowd's ideological erogenous zones, then fly away. He knows nothing about the art of the political deal.

George F. Will: Cruz' surge, Trump's slide is by design - San Jose Mercury News
And this is why he'd be such a horrible president. He's clueless on the political part of the process.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:56 AM

953 posts, read 843,381 times
Quote:
... George Will and the Republican Establishment hate Trump for one reason and one reason only -- they can't control him.
Nor can anyone else. That is undeniably true but there is a far more ominous message that should be paid attention to. People are looking closely at the numbers after the Wisconsin primary revealing that 63% of those voters acknowledged that they would be either concerned or scared of a possible Trump presidency. That troubling percentage is almost guaranteed to head in only one direction ... higher.

These are the words that doomed Barry Goldwater at the 1964 Republican convention: “I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

We all know how well that election turned out for the Republican party. Once a person is painted as being on the fringe and out of the mainstream, it is hard to reverse course. Should Trump emerge as the nominee, we may see a slight variation in the political commercials that will air ad nauseam throughout the summer until the election. There may be one of those unflattering pictures of an angry, agitated Trump with this caption above it: "In your heart you know he's wrong."

Quote:
And that's fine with me, considering the lousy job they've done for the last 30 years.
It is hard for me to be effusively praiseworthy concerning any administration, but espousing extremism and inflexibility in a far more dangerous and complex world is a prescription for failure.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:10 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I do enjoy Will's baseball expertise, but that's where it ends.
Yes. I got my husband his Men at Work (many years ago), and he liked it.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Nor can anyone else. That is undeniably true but there is a far more ominous message that should be paid attention to. People are looking closely at the numbers after the Wisconsin primary revealing that 63% of those voters acknowledged that they would be either concerned or scared of a possible Trump presidency. That troubling percentage is almost guaranteed to head in only one direction ... higher.

These are the words that doomed Barry Goldwater at the 1964 Republican convention: “I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

We all know how well that election turned out for the Republican party. Once a person is painted as being on the fringe and out of the mainstream, it is hard to reverse course. Should Trump emerge as the nominee, we may see a slight variation in the political commercials that will air ad nauseam throughout the summer until the election. There may be one of those unflattering pictures of an angry, agitated Trump with this caption above it: "In your heart you know he's wrong."

It is hard for me to be effusively praiseworthy concerning any administration, but espousing extremism and inflexibility in a far more dangerous and complex world is a prescription for failure.
The Republican Party has already failed.

Like Trump or not, his policies are the correct ones for this country -- securing our borders, not letting in Muslims we can't vet, not off-shoring jobs, not flooding this country with cheap immigrant labor when Americans don't have jobs, not playing world policeman.

Trump wants to clean up the mess our politicians have created.

But we're supposed to be afraid of Trump instead of those politicians.

How absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections