Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, you would rather the border remain wide open. That way anyone can walk in unchalleged. Whatever it costs to build that wall, it will be money well spent. Illegals cost taxpayers billions of dollars per year. Don't believe it? Google is your friend. Whatever it costs to build that wall, it's money well spent.

The ranchers have been begging for a wall for years. Illegals have made their lives hell. Again, Google is your friend.

As for your mention of the lake---With the wall in place, the Border Patrol can shift resources to places like that. No one said that the entire border will have a wall. It's for the most porous places.

The ranchers certainly want tighter and better border patrols, but not necessarily a wall.

Here is one article from several years ago. There are plenty of others. Google is your friend.

Border Fence Plan Worries Texas Ranchers

I will also note that while a person may be against a 2,000 mile long wall (of which some 700 miles have been built), it does not follow that said person is for the border to remain 'wide open'. It is simplistic reasoning.

I guess I could reason that since you desire to spend any amount of money on a wall, then it must follow that you 1) desire your income tax to go up to pay for the wall; 2) you care not about the national debt going up; and 3) you do not want to have those that employ illegals subjected to heavy fines for employing the illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:26 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
50' ladders Ken ? And with Border Patrol agents shooting at you ?
Go to the Home Depot and try to lift a 50' ladder, let alone carrying it on your shoulder for miles in the desert. What a straw man argument.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:41 AM

The way illegal immigration will eventually end is for the Mexican government to step in and control their border. They can shut it down in a day if they want to the same way they are controlling their southern border. What Trump needs to do is to incentivize them and he has $50B a year to work with. Come up with a plan that Mexico buys into. Send those "horrible human beings" he knows so well to do the negotiation. Otherwise, a wall that is constantly breached and attacked is not enough. You have to man the wall, protect it and repair it. Do we have the manpower?

Old 04-10-2016, 11:47 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The ranchers certainly want tighter and better border patrols, but not necessarily a wall.

Here is one article from several years ago. There are plenty of others. Google is your friend.

Border Fence Plan Worries Texas Ranchers

I will also note that while a person may be against a 2,000 mile long wall (of which some 700 miles have been built), it does not follow that said person is for the border to remain 'wide open'. It is simplistic reasoning.

I guess I could reason that since you desire to spend any amount of money on a wall, then it must follow that you 1) desire your income tax to go up to pay for the wall; 2) you care not about the national debt going up; and 3) you do not want to have those that employ illegals subjected to heavy fines for employing the illegals.
So, a few ranchers are "worried". Then don't fence off their ranches. Meanwhile, their neighbors will have fences. The ones with no fence/wall will have all the illegals going through their property.

No one has talked about a 2,000 mile wall. The 700 mile wall will be placed on the most porous parts of the border. Some areas, no fence is necessary because crossing through them is just about insurmountable.

As for taxes going up --- it's worth it! Illegals have been bleeding us dry to the tune of millions a year (as I already mentioned). Anyway, how do you know it will make taxes go up? There are other ways to pay for it.

Then you make the ridiculous comment about me not wanting employers of illegals to be fined. You know, it's not an all or nothing proposition. The wall, along with enforcing existing laws about hiring illegals will drastically reduce the numbers.

You, apparently, want those areas left wide open because you want drug mules and OTMs who come here looking to harm us to keep coming in.

BTW, you are naive if you think there are enough Border Patrol agents to properly patrol the border. I'll give you a clue --- our daughter and son-in-law went to a Border Patrol job fair a few years back. The agent they talked to didn't mince words. They were told that if they got hired, they would be on the graveyard shift and would be the only agent around for 70 miles. If they needed back-up, it wouldn't get there any time soon.

I would gladly pay more taxes not only for the wall (if extra taxes are even necessary) and to beef up the Border Patrol. It's a shame that you would rather see the border unprotected than paying your fair share.

Oh, BTW --- when you leave your house, do you lock the doors and windows? Or do you leave your door wide open? If it is the former, then why bother? If someone wanted to break into your house, they can break a window or if you have a crawl space, tunnel into your home.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Typically, Republicans aren't dumb enough to build walls with footholds. Obviously, the one you picture was built by someone of Hank Johnson's IQ. Just showing it as an anti-illegal immigrant device is pretty low on the IQ pole.
Uuuh, a significant portion of that fence was built during Bush's tenure. He was a republican was he not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico...States_barrier

McCain presided over a state over run with illegals for years, he was a republican was he not?

It would even be entirely relevant to speculate with some accuracy that Trump would likely employ illegals to build the stupid thing. Now that would be an irony, eh?

I would submit the I/Q deficit is shown by any of those folks proclaiming an actual wall as being a solution to your southern border security.

All that proves is you'd like to go back to wooden wheels because tires with air in them can leak.

Last edited by BruSan; 04-10-2016 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:08 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Otherwise, a wall that is constantly breached and attacked is not enough. You have to man the wall, protect it and repair it. Do we have the manpower?
No, you can outfit it with moton detection and infrared, surveillance/alert,
electric shock and many other automated pest removal systems.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:10 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Uuuh, a significant portion of that fence was built during Bush's tenure. He was a republican was he not?

McCain presided over a state over run with illegals for years, he was a republican was he not?

I would submit the I/Q deficit is shown by any of those folks proclaiming an actual wall as being a solution to your southern border security.

All that proves is you'd like to go back to wooden wheels because tires with air in them can leak.
So, you insult the intelligence of anyone who wants a border wall.

Walls do work. I just posted this link today, but you didn't take the time to read it. Perhaps you should have done so:

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR

Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
No, you can outfit it with moton detection and infrared, surveillance/alert,
electric shock and many other automated pest removal systems.
If that worked why don't we do it today? Why do you need a wall? Just fly drones and cameras. Fact is you can have all the bells and whistles and alarms but someone has to show up in a timely manner, like minutes, to make an arrest. You'll never have that kind of manpower. Even armies don't have it. That's why you have minefields. I am not advocating it but that is the reality.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:47 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, you insult the intelligence of anyone who wants a border wall.

Walls do work. I just posted this link today, but you didn't take the time to read it. Perhaps you should have done so:

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR
Perhaps you should have as well, if you had you'd know they merely go somewhere easier to cross over. Net gain is zero. The link also mentions that now that it's tougher the crossers STAY and bring their families with them instead of returning to Mexico with their ill gotten gains.

I responded to someone insulting my I/Q for posting a link showing a youtube of an easy to climb section of fence.

Trump.......that's an I/Q illustrator right there in thinking the guy employing hundreds of them while yakking about building the wall is in any way serious about getting rid of the 12 to 20 already rooting in your vegetable patch.

Here's a link for you:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...8c9_story.html

Old 04-10-2016, 01:55 PM

35,708 posts, read 21,070,199 times
this whole thing is about consumption- work and money- the employers making out like bandits- the drug users stay happy and you all are semi-happy because the TAXES you would have to pay to hold that barrier- would break you!

NOW--- why not make the employers build it-- they are the ones making the millions and use the addicts for construction work silly huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections