Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The ranchers certainly want tighter and better border patrols, but not necessarily a wall.

Here is one article from several years ago. There are plenty of others. Google is your friend.

Border Fence Plan Worries Texas Ranchers

I will also note that while a person may be against a 2,000 mile long wall (of which some 700 miles have been built), it does not follow that said person is for the border to remain 'wide open'. It is simplistic reasoning.

I guess I could reason that since you desire to spend any amount of money on a wall, then it must follow that you 1) desire your income tax to go up to pay for the wall; 2) you care not about the national debt going up; and 3) you do not want to have those that employ illegals subjected to heavy fines for employing the illegals.
No, there is no 700 mile fence. You're referring to the Secure Fence Act that was intended to fund and construct that wall. Only about 30 miles of it were built because Democrats in congress defunded it.

Here's an easy way to pay for the wall without raising taxes on US workers:

Illegals regularly use services like Western Union to send money back home. From now on we should ask for a valid green card each time they do this. If they don't have one... Charge illegals a huge fee for each electronic remittance they send south of the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 03:42 PM

23,626 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems Canada deals with its illegal immigrant demographic in an expedient manner and deports them when illegal aliens are discovered,whereas the USA lets its illegal demographic have free access to all manner of American social programs then never stops complaining about it and instead of prosecuting its illegals to the fullest extent of the law they come up with dumb ideas like spending a billion on building a wall in the mistaken belief its going to solve the problem.Until the USA takes the problem of immigration seriously you will always have the poor central American demographic gravitating to the richer opportunities America has to offer. I dont understand why Canada can take care of its illegal immigrant population but America fails on the issue.
That's easy to say when Canada only receives a small fraction of illegals with numbers in the thousands and not in the millions as with the US, and the majority of illegals in Canada are probably those who overstay visas compared to the border hoppers. But then Canada doesn't have a border with a country like Mexico. If Canada also bordered Mexico, or a similar country, then Canada would probably also be dealing with millions of illegals instead of just a few thousand.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:02 PM

23,626 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
No, there is no 700 mile fence. You're referring to the Secure Fence Act that was intended to fund and construct that wall. Only about 30 miles of it were built because Democrats in congress defunded it.

Here's an easy way to pay for the wall without raising taxes on US workers:

Illegals regularly use services like Western Union to send money back home. From now on we should ask for a valid green card each time they do this. If they don't have one... Charge illegals a huge fee for each electronic remittance they send south of the border.
By 2012 about 650 miles of fencing had been built on the border.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:31 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
By 2012 about 650 miles of fencing had been built on the border.

Fencing is not a wall.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,095,371 times
I really don't get the point of these threads...is it that illegals are the only people that commit crimes or that only Americans can hurt other Americans? The wall is a dumb idea. It would be a lot easier to go after the companies that hire illegals and punish them. Make every company E-Verify every employee on their payroll. As for the drugs, they have tunnels, subs, speed boats, and mask it through in trucks. Sure some might carry drugs over the border, but it's a miniscule amount.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:03 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Illegal immigrants will find a way to get in even if the Wall is built.

A wall didn't stop all those folks from the Dominican Republic or Haiti or Cuba or Jamaica ...

They'll fly to Canada and cross that border. They swim or take boats. They'll tunnel under the Wall.

In my view the only really effective way is to penalize any employer or landlord or property own with the strictest punitive penalties for employing or housing an illegal. The country would have to enact a zero tolerance policy against illegals.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Illegal immigrants will find a way to get in even if the Wall is built.

A wall didn't stop all those folks from the Dominican Republic or Haiti or Cuba or Jamaica ...

They'll fly to Canada and cross that border. They swim or take boats. They'll tunnel under the Wall.

In my view the only really effective way is to penalize any employer or landlord or property own with the strictest punitive penalties for employing or housing an illegal. The country would have to enact a zero tolerance policy against illegals.

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

Now just how is penalizing the employers going to stop criminals and terrorists? They aren't looking for work.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Fencing is not a wall.
How will a wall (not a fence) handle drainage patterns and streams?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:19 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Now just how is penalizing the employers going to stop criminals and terrorists? They aren't looking for work.
Well, first of all, I am under the impression that the vast majority of the illegals are not career criminals and terrorists. They are just poor folks looking for a job or a better life. The professional career criminals and terrorists will find a way. They guys who hijacked the planes on 9/11 would not have been stopped by a wall.

I also mentioned housing. Nearly everyone entering the country needs housing. Personally I am a landlord and the laws are very weak concerning requiring me to check the legal status of my tenants.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Well, first of all, I am under the impression that the vast majority of the illegals are not career criminals and terrorists. They are just poor folks looking for a job or a better life. The professional career criminals and terrorists will find a way. They guys who hijacked the planes on 9/11 would not have been stopped by a wall.

I also mentioned housing. Nearly everyone entering the country needs housing. Personally I am a landlord and the laws are very weak concerning requiring me to check the legal status of my tenants.

Doesn't matter, one criminal or terrorist gaining entry into our country by one of our borders illegally is one too many. The hi-jackers didn't enter our country illegally. Those seeking a better life are creating a worse life for Americans. No one has a right to a better life by violating laws and harming others. Here I'll post this again for you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections