Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:14 AM

23,627 posts, read 12,553,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Looks like your argument has run out of gas if this line of thought has now surfaced.
Nope, but go ahead and think that if you wish.

Quote:
I dont remember any forum rules stating opinions and viewpoints are only open to American participants of this "discussion" forum.
There are no rules to that extent, just like there are no rules where I can't voice my opinion - that you're griping about.

Quote:
I read on all manner of American media hysterical and obsessive whining about Americas illegal immigrant population
If you think when someone says we want our country back that they are being hysterical or whining then I don't know what to tell you, since your 'opinion' or 'viewpoint' on that is completely overboard, more than likely due to a complete lack of understanding of the situation.

Quote:
but no one seems to do anything about it except bellyache a lot on forums and dream of a big wall which wont do a thing to curb the flow of illegals.
And what would you suggest a regular citizen do, hmm? Oh yeah, you mentioned killing them on site [sic] . Are you suggesting that the citizens should become vigilantes and start hauling illegals out, or just shoot them? Then it would be the citizens who are breaking the law. It's up to the government to follow the immigration laws and they are falling down on the job, in fact it appears that they are bending over backwards to avoid following the law. Out of all of the Presidential candidates there is only one who is not pro-illegal - and that is the one I'm voting for (though not for that reason alone, but it is a major factor)

Quote:
What would Canada do if 2% of our population were illegals? we;d certainly apply our immigration laws to the fullest extent rather than making all manner of welfare programs available to these illegals.
Giving these illegals Section 8 housing,drivers licenses, health care,the right to vote,education,safe cities, etc is an absurd course of action if the goal is to rid the nation of illegals.
Of course it is absurd, but you don't think it's absurd enough for the citizens to become angry and frustrated.

Let me ask you a serious question (and I hope you truly think about it and give an honest answer instead of ignoring it or giving a glib answer) .. what would you do if the Canadian government suddenly decides to open the borders and let eleven+ million illegals sneak in, your government decides to ignore the immigration laws and refuses to "apply the immigration laws to the fullest extent", your government gives the illegals all of those freebies on your dime, Canadian citizens lose their jobs to the illegals, etc., etc.? What exactly would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 04:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

And what would you suggest a regular citizen do, hmm? Oh yeah, you mentioned killing them on site [sic] . Are you suggesting that the citizens should become vigilantes and start hauling illegals out, or just shoot them? Then it would be the citizens who are breaking the law. It's up to the government to follow the immigration laws and they are falling down on the job,
Let me ask you a serious question (and I hope you truly think about it and give an honest answer instead of ignoring it or giving a glib answer) .. what would you do if the Canadian government suddenly decides to open the borders and let eleven+ million illegals sneak in, your government decides to ignore the immigration laws and refuses to "apply the immigration laws to the fullest extent", your government gives the illegals all of those freebies on your dime, Canadian citizens lose their jobs to the illegals, etc., etc.? What exactly would you do?
I guess you missed the sarcasm of that statement.
As for 2% of our Canadian population being illegal and the government not only doing nothing about it but actually catering to the illegals you're darn right i'd be irritated and vote for those in favor of solving the problem, but the problem isnt in Canada its in the USA and if the best an American politician can come up with to deal with the problem is to build a big wall you are going to be very disappointed at the results this wall will have on your illegal demographic as there are just so many other ways a person dedicated to going to America can circumvent that wall.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 AM

23,627 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I guess you missed the sarcasm of that statement.
As for 2% of our Canadian population being illegal and the government not only doing nothing about it but actually catering to the illegals you're darn right i'd be irritated and vote for those in favor of solving the problem, but the problem isnt in Canada its in the USA and if the best an American politician can come up with to deal with the problem is to build a big wall you are going to be very disappointed at the results this wall will have on your illegal demographic as there are just so many other ways a person dedicated to going to America can circumvent that wall.
Once again - it's not just about the wall !! I don't know how many times I have to state in here that just having a wall and doing nothing else will not have great results, just having e-verify and doing nothing else will not have great results, just cutting the freebies and doing nothing else will not have great results, etc., etc., etc. But enforce each individual plan together then there will be major results. (and yes I realize that it's not going to be 100% effective, no matter what is done some illegals will slip through the cracks, but it will be highly effective)

Read this...
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...gration-reform

Old 04-15-2016, 05:34 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
You wall huggers have absolutely no idea how ridiculous this "build a wall" idea of Trump's is in reality ! What do you think we do, just order some concrete and begin backing up the dump trucks ?

First all, a lot of the land it would need to be built on does not belong to the government, it is privately owned. That means buying the land. Next would be the problem of permits and environmental impact. There would also be a problem with design and engineering such a huge undertaking. And finally, how big would it even have to be to keep people from going over (or under) it ?

Forget this stupid idea ! It is never going to happen and should not ever happen. This ain't King Arthur's era, it is 2016, and building such a monstrosity would be impossible, and ineffective, to say the least. Why don't we include a moat with alligators ?

Trumps "wall" idea should be followed with the expression "Here, hold my beer and watch this !"

Don

Old 04-15-2016, 05:45 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You wall huggers have absolutely no idea how ridiculous this "build a wall" idea of Trump's is in reality ! What do you think we do, just order some concrete and begin backing up the dump trucks ?

First all, a lot of the land it would need to be built on does not belong to the government, it is privately owned. That means buying the land. Next would be the problem of permits and environmental impact. There would also be a problem with design and engineering such a huge undertaking. And finally, how big would it even have to be to keep people from going over (or under) it ?

Forget this stupid idea ! It is never going to happen and should not ever happen. This ain't King Arthur's era, it is 2016, and building such a monstrosity would be impossible, and ineffective, to say the least. Why don't we include a moat with alligators ?

Trumps "wall" idea should be followed with the expression "Here, hold my beer and watch this !"

Don
You're just one more person that can't see the forest from the trees. There are dozens of posts in this thread explaining that the wall is not going to be a huge concrete monstrosity but you and others just keep going back to that. Trying to explain this to you and other anti wall people is like trying to get blood out of a rock. You have a closed mind that's not willing to admit that the "wall" is different things in different places combined with enforcing current immigration laws, hiring additional border patrol where they are needed, and using the highest technology available.
As far as private land goes, the vast majority of that land is owned by ranchers that would love nothing more than to build something and add more border patrol to keep illegals off their land. But again, you don't get that either.
When you ignore all these facts, one must conclude that you have no interest in this whatsoever except how it affects your personal political agenda.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You're just one more person that can't see the forest from the trees. There are dozens of posts in this thread explaining that the wall is not going to be a huge concrete monstrosity but you and others just keep going back to that. Trying to explain this to you and other anti wall people is like trying to get blood out of a rock. You have a closed mind that's not willing to admit that the "wall" is different things in different places combined with enforcing current immigration laws, hiring additional border patrol where they are needed, and using the highest technology available.
As far as private land goes, the vast majority of that land is owned by ranchers that would love nothing more than to build something and add more border patrol to keep illegals off their land. But again, you don't get that either.
When you ignore all these facts, one must conclude that you have no interest in this whatsoever except how it affects your personal political agenda.
Some of them are easy to ignore because they're simply not factual.

Ranchers don't want any freak'n wall making even more of their land unusable. They want enforcement, simple and effective enforcement not a wall in any shape or form.

The technology exists to spot these cretins moving through the scrub before they're anywhere near the border. It has even been used before for years. You can fly helicopters over major cities 24/7 but cannot seem to garner the willpower to have those patrolling the border 24/7? They've even used balloons with infra-red camera/sensors they crank up at night. Very tall boom trucks with a cabinet at the end of the boom with cameras/sensors. Those were used extensively for a time but now seem to be gone.

You cannot build a wall down the center of the Rio Grande River and in some spots they simply swim across to disappear into the nearby cities where they are sent through rallying points in rental houses to then get shipped further north.

Talk to the guy who owns Retama Village near Mission and ask him how many he's seen while taking folks on a tour of his land in his huge lifted swamp buggy. He makes routine calls to the LEOs only to have them ignored while they beat feet into the nearby city.

EVERYBODY knows this goes on from the snowbirding RV'ers who watch them scuttle through their RV parks under their very noses stealing bicycles and anything else of value as they go through, to the local cops who simply keep driving when they see a group of them coming out of a field without reason to be there.

I have seen this first hand and marvelled at how so much currency is attached to this problem ONLY during election cycles when some nincompoop or other attempts to whip you into a frenzy of voting for him.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Some of them are easy to ignore because they're simply not factual.

Ranchers don't want any freak'n wall making even more their land unusable. They want enforcement, simple and effective enforcement not a wall in any shape or form.

The technology exists to spot these cretins moving through the scrub before they're anywhere near the border. It has even been used before for years. You can fly helicopters over major cities 24/7 but cannot seem to garner the willpower to have those patrolling the border 24/7? They've even used balloons with infra-red camera/sensors they crank up at night. Very tall boom trucks with a cabinet at the end of the boom with cameras/sensors. Those were used extensively for a time but now seem to be gone.

You cannot build a wall down the center of the Rio Grande River and in some spots they simply swim across disappear into the nearby cities where they are sent through rallying points in rental houses to then get shipped further north.

Talk to the guy who owns Retama Village near Mission and ask him how many he's seen while taking folks on a tour of his land in his huge lifted swamp buggy. He makes routine calls to the LEOs only to have them ignored while they beat feet into the nearby city.

EVERYBODY knows this goes on from the snowbirding RV'ers who watch them scuttle through their RV parks under their very noses stealing bicycles and anything else of value as they go through, to the local cops who simply keep driving when they see a group of them coming out of a field without reason to be there.

I have seen this first hand and marvelled at how so much currency is attached to this problem ONLY during election cycles when some nincompoop or other attempts to whip you into a frenzy of voting for him.
Once again, you don't get it. I never said there's going to be a solid wall across a river or swamps or every part of the border. You keep going back to that for no reason because no on disagrees with you.
Once again, I did say that it's a combination of things including stronger border security and high end technology.
Once again, I did say that the vast majority of the private land is owned by ranchers who have thousand of acres of land there. I've yet to see an interview with any of them where they say they do not support some kind of wall along with more border patrol agents enforcing the border on their property. These ranchers are sick and tired of a federal government that does nothing to enforce these laws.
As far as the importance of this coming up in election years goes, that's because the current administration and others before it have done little to nothing to protect the borders. An election year is the only chance we have to make a difference with a new administration.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:08 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
What, you're not throwing in the race card too? No, it's not about xenophobia, or racism, or any other slur that you want to throw in there.

Every country in the world has some form of an immigration policy, which includes illegals. Every country, except the US, enforces those laws because their governments/politicians don't look at illegals as future voters. Why are you not attacking those countries for not having open borders? The US citizens have every right to expect the laws of this country to be followed. Wanting, and expecting, the laws to be followed is not being xenophobic or racist. You must be a Soros fan.
Sorry that the truth hurts.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Sorry that the truth hurts.
Please explain how securing borders so only people that should be here are here is racist? Personally, I don't give a rat's behind where illegals come whether it's Europe, Africa, Mars, Canada or Mexico.
What exactly is racist about not wanting illegals coming here in huge numbers and then giving them amnesty as if they did something great by breaking the laws to enter this country?

Old 04-15-2016, 10:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Once again, you don't get it. I never said there's going to be a solid wall across a river or swamps or every part of the border. You keep going back to that for no reason because no on disagrees with you.
Once again, I did say that it's a combination of things including stronger border security and high end technology.
Once again, I did say that the vast majority of the private land is owned by ranchers who have thousand of acres of land there. I've yet to see an interview with any of them where they say they do not support some kind of wall along with more border patrol agents enforcing the border on their property. These ranchers are sick and tired of a federal government that does nothing to enforce these laws.
As far as the importance of this coming up in election years goes, that's because the current administration and others before it have done little to nothing to protect the borders. An election year is the only chance we have to make a difference with a new administration.
And once again you fail to understand anything but an actual wall has already been in place for decades! You keep accusing people of zeroing in on the word "WALL" when it is this stupid thread having "WALL" in the title.

Get it through your head once and for all Trump knows nothing of which he speaks and further co0uld not care less...it's a hot button issue only to idiots who don't realize everything he's proposing has already been in place for years .....simply not enforced.

Take the gloves off your Border Patrol and watch the illegal entries dry up overnight. Back in the mid 2000's a law was to take effect at midnight and for 24 hrs before that, illegals in Yuma stripped their rental houses of every single piece of value, windows, doors, plumbing fixtures, even the copper wiring was stripped out and loaded into one-way u-hauls and stolen pick-up trucks to go with them when they beat-feet back to Mx. That law was just another one to give the illusion your government was serious about the issue and summarily ignored just like all the others.

These ranchers you speak of weren't all in agreement for even the fence idea:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=11118125

or the new plan:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...mary/82144404/

You don't need anything other than mandated aggressive enforcement of already existing laws. A "wall", fence, barrier, drone path, ditch, or zone without that aggressive enforcement of laws will be just another panacea for you sycophantic acolytes all believing whatever comes out of any candidates lying pie-hole.

You're the one that {"doesn't get it". You're being played for a sucker and falling for it just as sure as you'd believe Trump actually gives a rip for the unwashed masses.

Last edited by BruSan; 04-15-2016 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections