Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 09:47 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Do you know how many have jobs in restaurants, in construction, in domestic work, in factories, in mining, in farming? All industries it would not be difficult to regulate if there was the political will to do so. And it would be vastly cheaper in the long run to go after those who employ them than to build a wall that would become a black hole eating huge sums of taxpayer money to maintain for decades into the future. And which still wouldn't keep them out if there are jobs to be had here.

A wall is a profoundly stupid "fix" to a problem for which there are other, better, more practical and cost effective solutions.
I agree 100% and all that money we'd waste on a wall would be better spent rebuilding our bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I agree 100% and all that money we'd waste on a wall would be better spent rebuilding our bridges.
How about we take all that money spent on illegal immigrants and rebuild our bridges ?

Old 04-08-2016, 10:02 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
\

One thing, one of many, that you are overlooking is that we spend over $113 billion dollars per year on illegals. That will continue to increase, so that money you are going to save on the wall will be spent on illegal aliens. They step to the front of the line in front of our veterans, our elderly and our disabled not to mention procreate like rabbits!

They will continue to DEMAND the same rights as our legal citizens. Amnesty would cost $6.3 trillion and more illegals, thousands per month, would continue to pour through our open border.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 AM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I cant believe the majority of illegals slog through the desert for days to climb a fence then trek for more days through the US desert sticking out like a sore thumb to get where? when they can just drive over the border or take a bus train plane or boat to enter the USA. A typical US entry point from Mexico=
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...erCrossing.JPG
Same border going the other way=
http://www.deekadelic.com/wp-content...large570-1.jpg

With 11 million illegals in the country its not beyond the realms of possibility that one of them might have a traffic accident,unfortunate as that might be its a bit drama queen to now call for a billion $$ wall to immediately be built.
As for these ranchers living in fear? wouldnt they have guns and wouldnt the supposed fear they are being subjected to cause them to use these guns on the hordes of illegal immigrants swarming their properties? odd how i'm not hearing much about farmers using the Stand Your Ground law to protect themselves.
As for drugs? i cant believe some one slogging through the desert with a backpack full of dope when there are far superior methods of transport=
https://pixabay.com/static/uploads/p...89_960_720.jpg
Oh, where to begin!

You really don't get it, do you?

Illegals know that they will "stick out like a sore thumb". To prevent that, once they enter the country, they throw out the clothing they have on because at that time, it's really filthy. Then they change to clean clothing so as to not stick out. In other words, they dump tons of trash on fragile desert eco-systems.

They don't just "drive over the border" and go through checkpoints because most don't have any papers. Do you really think that they would be let in? Or the OTMs that do have papers, don't have visas.

How well staffed do you think the Border Patrol is? I'll give you a clue---a few years back, my daughter and son-in-law went to a Border Patrol job fair. The agent they talked to didn't mince words. They were told that if they got hired, they would be put on the graveyard shift and would be the only agent around for 70 miles. If they needed back up, it wouldn't be showing up anytime soon.

As for the ranchers---if they shot an illegal, they get in trouble with the law. Do some googling. Some illegals even sued a rancher because he rounded up a group at gunpoint and held them there until the BP could show up. Why should ranchers put up with living without a secure wall?

And, yes, the cartels pay mules to sneak in drugs carrying backpacks. They know how poorly the border is protected and someone with a backpack is less likely to be noticed than a huge truck crashing through a fence.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The last time I looked, sweetie, the federal government doesn't provide housing or other benefits to illegal immigrants.
Well, --- You are wrong. Once illegals birth an anchor baby, the whole family is eligible for Section 8 housing.

So feel free to move several illegals into your home. As an added bonus, give them your SSN. The law says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. You won't mind sharing with them, will you? After all, with your SSN they then could illegally find jobs.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Jambo - Obama should not be letting a single one cross the border and stay. It's illegal - you know it and I know it. And is he counting the ones that are leaving of their accord ?
I also know running a country the size of the USA is a big job one that no individual can be entirely in charge of every aspect of its operation,All Obama can be expected to do is require subordinates/staff to carry out his wishes. Do you really think trying to apprehend and deport 11 million illegal immigrants is as easy as saying make it so?
As for turning back people at the border why would they do that? people are telling me illegal immigrants are given every aspect of Americas welfare programs, drivers licenses free housing and healthcare,access to education etc what are these immigrants at the border doing differently than those welcomed in to take advantage of everything America has to offer?
Its all a complex issue that wont be resolved anytime soon.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Then push to have the immigration laws enforced. Start with e-verify being mandatory in every single state, and then make sure the enforcement is diligent and the penalties are swift and really hurt the employers who break the law.

No jobs=no illegals=no trillion-dollar-waste-of-time-and-money-wall necessary.
So, you think that illegals are only sneaking in here to work. How naive of you! Many are sneaking in because they are smuggling drugs. Some OTMs who are sneaking in have nefarious reasons---you know, like killing people.

I have to wonder about the agenda of those who are fighting tooth and nail to prevent the wall from happening. Why do they want the border to remain wide open?

Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Illegals are being apprehended and deported maybe not as fast or in the quantities you would like but its not like nothing is being done=

Obama has deported more immigrants than any other president. Now he’s running up the score. | Fusion
Another one perpetuating the lie that Obama has deported so many illegals.

https://judiciary.house.gov/press-re...tationnumbers/

Obama DHS Admits Cooking The Books On Deportations - Fox Nation

Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says - Washington Times

jambo---If I'm not mistaken, you live in Canada. Am I correct? If I'm wrong, please correct me. If so, it explains your lack of understanding when it comes to illegal immigration here.

As for "carrying out Obama's wishes" --- do you even know what his "wishes" are? He has just about stopped enforcing immigration laws. No more raids on employers. No more 287(g). He's even told local police departments that if they arrest an illegal who has committed a felony, that the PD should do what they can to reduce it to a misdemeanor---that way the illegal is eligible for amnesty. Obama dictated DACA for DREAMers and tried to created DAPA for their parents. He was stopped by the courts but still secretly amnestied thousands of them until he was caught doing it.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, you think that illegals are only sneaking in here to work. How naive of you! Many are sneaking in because they are smuggling drugs. Some OTMs who are sneaking in have nefarious reasons---you know, like killing people.

I have to wonder about the agenda of those who are fighting tooth and nail to prevent the wall from happening. Why do they want the border to remain wide open?
The vast majority are coming for jobs. I have to wonder about the intelligence level of people who believe throwing billions upon billions of dollars at a wall to stop them from coming for work would be more effective and a better use of our money than attacking the problem at the root cause.

I know, I know, a wall is so much sexier than a government crackdown on the employers who create the problem in the first place. But simple minds are attracted to big, flashy "solutions" like gigantic, money sucking walls. That's why Trump is so enamored of the idea, and why his supporters are as well.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

I cant imagine what you think my agenda is in as much as i;m for increased enforcement of laws already in place the border being far from wide open, theres a fence and its patrolled intensively, build that wall if it makes you feel good but ultimately its a waste of money as people wanting to enter the USA illegally will just go around it.
http://sites.psu.edu/vprclblog/wp-co...9.48.50-PM.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections