Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:03 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If I could, I'd bet money that Clinton's problem will be turnout. I said that almost a year ago when the talk was Clinton vs Bush or as I put it, The Battle of Low Voter Turnout. It's not that Democrats dislike her, in my opinion. It's that they don't like her enough to get up off the couch and vote. She's just been around for so long, she's not the shiny new penny. I don't think she should count on Obama voters turning out for her in the same big numbers. I especially think young voters and younger African Americans won't bother to vote like they did for Obama.
Well, they better be able to see past the ends of their noses and haul their arses off the couch.

A Republican POTUS, House and Senate will put somebody like Bork or Scalia on the Supreme Court. Do you think RBG will hang on another 4-8 years? Two appointees will just about guarantee many forms of birth control will be off the market, and the court will revisit Roe Vs. Wade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Well, they better be able to see past the ends of their noses and haul their arses off the couch.

A Republican POTUS, House and Senate will put somebody like Bork or Scalia on the Supreme Court. Do you think RBG will hang on another 4-8 years? Two appointees will just about guarantee many forms of birth control will be off the market, and the court will revisit Roe Vs. Wade.
I just kind of feel like IF they are that stupid ~ then they can live with the consequences. I've had my kids; Roe v Wade is no longer an issue for me and I cannot twist someone's arm to vote if they don't want to. Marriage equality is not an issue for me personally nor all these anti-lgbt laws being passed. Perhaps some of them don't realize how bad things used to be for those who are different or pregnant and alone.

Most of the ones spouting that nonsense seem to younger and must be privileged IF they don't have to worry about any of that stuff.

I've had to step back a bit and it greatly helps my blood pressure.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:15 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I just kind of feel like IF they are that stupid ~ then they can live with the consequences. I've had my kids; Roe v Wade is no longer an issue for me and I cannot twist someone's arm to vote if they don't want to. Marriage equality is not an issue for me personally nor all these anti-lgbt laws being passed. Perhaps some of them don't realize how bad things used to be for those who are different or pregnant and alone.

Most of the ones spouting that nonsense seem to younger and must be privileged IF they don't have to worry about any of that stuff.

Yep, it's definitely a place of privilege to say "well, if I don't get my way, I'm taking my ball and going home" with zero recognition that incremental progress beats the hell out of backwards progress any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

The reality is that our government is DESIGNED for incremental progress. Actually believing that a million people standing outside of Congress changes a damn thing is the stuff of nursery stories, not something that those in the trenches actually making progress would ever bother to say.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

I lived through the Champion of Chappaquiddick going after Carter and yielding RR. Whatever happened to John Anderson?
I am too old for another Sally Ride, "the feminist movement had nothin to do with me being an astronaut", moment.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:22 PM

21 posts, read 11,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yep, it's definitely a place of privilege to say "well, if I don't get my way, I'm taking my ball and going home" with zero recognition that incremental progress beats the hell out of backwards progress any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

The reality is that our government is DESIGNED for incremental progress. Actually believing that a million people standing outside of Congress changes a damn thing is the stuff of nursery stories, not something that those in the trenches actually making progress would ever bother to say.
I guess it depends on what your definition of "progress" is? Just because things change doesn't mean they are changing for the better

Old 04-11-2016, 01:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB and Coke View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of "progress" is? Just because things change doesn't mean they are changing for the better
Things have definitely changed for the better for women, gays and minorities. Many of us here are old enough to remember when life was much tougher for many groups who weren't straight white men. The Sanders supporters who refuse to vote for Clinton if Sanders doesn't win the nomination probably don't remember those days, but they may get a chance to experience them first hand if they are too myopic to see past this election cycle.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:44 PM

21 posts, read 11,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Things have definitely changed for the better for women, gays and minorities. Many of us here are old enough to remember when life was much tougher for many groups who weren't straight white men. The Sanders supporters who refuse to vote for Clinton if Sanders doesn't win the nomination probably don't remember those days, but they may get a chance to experience them first hand if they are too myopic to see past this election cycle.
What "rights" are Trump/Cruz/Kasich proposing to take away from women/gays/minorities?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
What "rights" are Trump/Cruz/Kasich proposing to take away from women/gays/minorities?
It's more a matter of who they might appoint to the Supreme Court.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Have been reading or watching then news of late, religious freedom from LGBT persons, ever more restrictive abortion rights, who's next, what's next? Personally, I'm not going to sit on my hands and wait to find out.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Next topic.
Trumpy is losing and he won't be the nominee so it looks like the OP is back to bashing Hillary.

It's one way to get people to look at something besides the big "L" on Trumpy's forehead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections