U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US take $1.5 trillion in Iraqi oil?
Yes 67 47.52%
No 74 52.48%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 10:39 AM

501 posts, read 318,452 times

Advertisements

It's civilized. Now can you provide me some legitimate source regarding your petrodollar argument?
Rate this post positively

Old 05-15-2016, 10:40 AM

35,172 posts, read 22,785,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
It's civilized. Now can you provide me some legitimate source regarding your petrodollar argument?
I can't. So you are right. IN MY OPINION, the real reason of Iraq war is about currency, not oil. How's that? better?

But common sense is still common sense

1. shouldn't gotten involved with iraq war
2. If you started, don't leave that early
3. hundreds of special force guys stuck in iraq is not the solution, they will lose their lives unnecessarily

These are the main points I was making. Not interested in arguing about other stuff.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:15 AM

At this point I will settle for finding a Trump supporter who doesn't believe in wild conspiracy theories.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:44 AM

If oil were a major factor for prosecuting war in Iraq, it stands to reason the United States would be getting substantial amounts of it. It may come as a shock to Greenwald as well as a number of other Americans, but with regard to importing oil, the overwhelming percentage of our imported oil does not come from the Middle East. Canada and Latin America provide the United States with 34.7 percent of our imported oil. Africa provides another 10.3 percent. The entire Persian Gulf, led by Saudi Arabia at 8.1 percent, provides us with a total of 12.9 percent of our imported oil.

So "it is all about Oil" is a very simplified answer.

If America went to war in Iraq mostly for oil, it would stand to reason that we would maintain a stranglehold on both their supply and production. Ten years after the war began, China has emerged as one of the main beneficiaries of a relatively stable Iraqi government and a country that, after two decades, is poised to become the world's third largest oil exporter. Trade between Iraq and China has doubled almost 34 times, soaring from $517 million in 2002, to $17.5 billion by the end of last year. If current trends continue, it will replace the U.S. as Iraq's largest trading partner.

The War For Oil Myth | Frontpage Mag

Old 05-15-2016, 06:25 PM

Not seeing a point here. China buys the oil. With money or goods. It's hardly free. And it's not remotely stolen.

Also. Stop reading Frontpage Mag.

I'm imploring you: put down the conspiracy nonsense and come back to the human race.

You also seem very liberal with the bold button, despite not being able to make coherent points with said bold button.

You bolded text that suggested the Iraq war wasn't about oil. Where is the point? Trump said it wasn't about oil in his own words, but that it SHOULD HAVE BEEN, and that the US should steal trillions in Iraqi oil. So why did you bold a totally irrelevant portion of that Frontpage quote? Who are you arguing with? Glenn Greenwald? Did he join this topic and make posts under a psuedonym?

Old 05-15-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Not seeing a point here. China buys the oil. With money or goods. It's hardly free. And it's not remotely stolen.

Also. Stop reading Frontpage Mag.

I'm imploring you: put down the conspiracy nonsense and come back to the human race.

You also seem very liberal with the bold button, despite not being able to make coherent points with said bold button.

You bolded text that suggested the Iraq war wasn't about oil. Where is the point? Trump said it wasn't about oil in his own words, but that it SHOULD HAVE BEEN, and that the US should steal trillions in Iraqi oil. So why did you bold a totally irrelevant portion of that Frontpage quote? Who are you arguing with? Glenn Greenwald? Did he join this topic and make posts under a psuedonym?
I think you are really strange.

No one has said China is stealing. Get over it. I made my point post 102. If you want to argue, argue with somebody else.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 AM

8,167 posts, read 4,782,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
How do you "take" the oil? The US government would seize, renovate, and operate Iraqi oil wells, oil facilities, pipelines and docks, man them with tens of thousands of trusted US workers, and have the US military on the ground protecting it from end to end? And then what? Try and recoup the costs buy selling at below market prices? Right-wingers don't trust the government to do anything right.

Yeah, that's the problem. In reality, it can't be done.
But I do like the sentiment.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:15 PM

599 posts, read 343,299 times
Quote:
Iranian assistance isn't very significant relative to the ISF efforts, frankly. The death toll of ISF forces vs Iranian forces is extremely lopsided towards ISF forces. Iran simply does not have many men in Iraq. It has advisors and Quds Force commanders and so on.

Per the ISF retreat, do you seriously think that the ISF had 100% intel on the scale of the enemy force when ISIS attacked? I think you are placing far too much emphasis on the "coward" angle because it, frankly, makes you feel "tough"

And again, "defenseless citizens" ignores the massive divisions in Iraq. These Sunni territories barely had any loyalty to Baghdad and often supported ISIS and Al Qaeda and insurgent attacks on the ISF to begin with. Name a single Shia town that has been conquered by ISIS. I'll be waiting. Because the ISF has never backed away from a town they actually cared about. And today they lose hundreds of men each month taking back Sunni towns with little thanks. So this "cowardly" angle is really a meme that needs to die.

Especially considering the United States public has itself considered the war a mistake and not worth fighting, despite a fraction of ISF's losses. Also consider that the US has the luxury of being "brave" in some of the most technologically advanced war weapons in history.

Per Trump's oil theft plan, it is NOT about "taking control of it so it can be effectively given to Iraqi people". Don't kid yourself. It's outright stealing. Watch the videos, read the transcripts.
My political positions have nothing to do with feeling "tough" as I never have supported the Iraq War or do I wish for the United States to get into any more wars that we have no place in. From a foreign policy aspect my position is diplomacy first unless we are talking about terrorism or North Korea where diplomacy doesn't seem to work that well.

I have to ask since you dislike Trump who would you rather have for President Trump, Clinton, Sanders or someone else?

Old 05-16-2016, 01:31 PM

3,160 posts, read 3,035,602 times
Connect the dots

Iraq sells oil to China
Iraq then pay a U.S. back for cost of war with that money
U.S. then uses that money to pay back China for money we borrow from them. (or borrow less)

Old 05-18-2016, 07:33 PM

Found this video on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/stopcrimina...nch_main_video

It puts together all the video interviews of Trump saying he wants to steal trillions in Iraqi oil, and says that if he does this, thousands of Iraqis will have to be killed and the 4,400 Americans who died in Iraq will be remembered as war criminals.

100% agree with this video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.