U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US take $1.5 trillion in Iraqi oil?
Yes 67 47.52%
No 74 52.48%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM

12,277 posts, read 5,918,867 times

Advertisements

Lol @ "it's taking, not stealing."

Imagine if some shoplifter tried that line.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-06-2016, 12:23 PM

Hypothetical for those who voted yes, which disturbingly enough, is the majority.

Let's say you're living in your own house and one day you find squatters on your property trying to start beef with you because you apparently looked at them the wrong way once.

You try and try to get them to leave, and they finally say they will, and turn around to exit, but then turn back around to try to enter your house to steal your money (hey, they "won" at scaring you, right?).

You'd grab your nearest gun and shoot them in the ****ing face, right? (Again, this hypothetical is intended for American conservatives).

Of course, that'll enrage them ("How dare anybody defend themselves against me! They are the enemy!!), and the vicious cycle continues. Of course, those squatters by then will be well-known to be bullies, undesirables who nobody should associate with.

So in what way would this possibly be a good idea? What the hell do you think Iraq will do, bend over and say, "You won, Master Murrica. You're dominant. Pillage away."

Old 05-06-2016, 12:29 PM

15,505 posts, read 18,230,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
How do you "take" the oil? The US government would seize, renovate, and operate Iraqi oil wells, oil facilities, pipelines and docks, man them with tens of thousands of trusted US workers, and have the US military on the ground protecting it from end to end? And then what? Try and recoup the costs buy selling at below market prices? Right-wingers don't trust the government to do anything right.
Easy-peasy. You just announce that you're going to build a yuuuuuge pipeline from Iraq to the United States and you're going to get Iraq to pay for it. Details are for losers.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:25 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,395,052 times
The Nazis used this same tactic in all of the countries they conquered. How well did it work out for them? One could expect such a complete azzhat idea from drumpf. The man is a true imbecile.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:03 PM

501 posts, read 318,716 times
You Really Have to Listen to Donald Trump Talk About Iraq -- NYMag

Here in 2011, again, Trump says the US should take Iraq's oil

Quote:
Trump: I always heard that when we went into Iraq, we went in for the oil. I said, "Eh, that sounds smart."
WSJ: So you would keep troops in Iraq after this year?
Trump: I would take the oil.
WSJ: I don't understand how you would take the — does that mean keeping troops there, or staying involved in Iraq?
Trump: You heard me, I would take the oil.
Trump: We have thousands of people that died, our great soldiers. They died. Men and women, lots of people. We have thousands of people all over this country that are wounded, horribly wounded, with legs and arms. And lots —
WSJ: I think that they thought they were —
Trump: Excuse me.
WSJ: Sorry.
Trump: And I would not want to be the one that would tell their parents that your son, your daughter, has died in vain, been wounded in vain. But I would not want to be the one who goes up to somebody that has a son or daughter that died in Iraq and tell them, "By the way, Iran has taken over Iraq, because we have so weakened that nation that they essentially don't have an army that can fight back as they have for hundreds of years." So I would absolutely keep the oil ...
WSJ: I think that the soldiers fighting in Iraq were also fighting for freedom, not necessarily fighting for oil.
If you watch the original video, he also implies he would somehow get rid of all of Iraq's leaders since they are too friendly with Iran. Realistically speaking, he'd have to kill all of Iraq's leaders to accomplish his goal here.

Last edited by shihku7; 05-06-2016 at 06:11 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 11:28 AM

3,118 posts, read 3,454,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Hypothetical for those who voted yes, which disturbingly enough, is the majority.

Let's say you're living in your own house and one day you find squatters on your property trying to start beef with you because you apparently looked at them the wrong way once.

You try and try to get them to leave, and they finally say they will, and turn around to exit, but then turn back around to try to enter your house to steal your money (hey, they "won" at scaring you, right?).

You'd grab your nearest gun and shoot them in the ****ing face, right? (Again, this hypothetical is intended for American conservatives).

Of course, that'll enrage them ("How dare anybody defend themselves against me! They are the enemy!!), and the vicious cycle continues. Of course, those squatters by then will be well-known to be bullies, undesirables who nobody should associate with.

So in what way would this possibly be a good idea? What the hell do you think Iraq will do, bend over and say, "You won, Master Murrica. You're dominant. Pillage away."
When your home is under the thumb of Saddam, this does not apply. What if your home was a salt marsh that was destroyed by Saddam. You may not even have a home until some liberators come along to help you. The liberators came along to help you, because you happen to have the 2nd largest oil supply in the world, right behind Saudi Arabia. You could have the same living standards as the people in Saudi Arabia, if not better, provided you pay the liberator what it cost to free you, work together, and select wise leadership. Failure of the last two does not relieve you of your debt to the empire.

By allowing Iran and ISIS to take your precious resources, being a 4 star petrodollar subsidiary of Liberators inc, you are hurting the stockholders (your government) and the parent company by allowing others to take your oil and sell it in rubles, yuan, and other mafia backed currencies. You have debts to pay, time to buckle down and work with the most powerful nation on earth, to reap the benefits of Richard Nixon and perhaps become even more powerful than Iran & Saudi Arabia.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:22 PM

4,922 posts, read 6,988,712 times
As it was GWBush and the US that destroyed Iraq I think they are entitled to sue. I believe that Bush, Cheney, Clinton, and friends should be tried for war crimes.
Under the Bush administration the US lost trillions of dollars and is responsible for the disruption all over the middle east. Now Trump wants oil...he's just plain nuts.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:24 PM

37,099 posts, read 19,973,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
As it was GWBush and the US that destroyed Iraq I think they are entitled to sue. I believe that Bush, Cheney, Clinton, and friends should be tried for war crimes.
Under the Bush administration the US lost trillions of dollars and is responsible for the disruption all over the middle east. Now Trump wants oil...he's just plain nuts.
And obama et al.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
When your home is under the thumb of Saddam, this does not apply. What if your home was a salt marsh that was destroyed by Saddam. You may not even have a home until some liberators come along to help you. The liberators came along to help you, because you happen to have the 2nd largest oil supply in the world, right behind Saudi Arabia. You could have the same living standards as the people in Saudi Arabia, if not better, provided you pay the liberator what it cost to free you, work together, and select wise leadership. Failure of the last two does not relieve you of your debt to the empire.

By allowing Iran and ISIS to take your precious resources, being a 4 star petrodollar subsidiary of Liberators inc, you are hurting the stockholders (your government) and the parent company by allowing others to take your oil and sell it in rubles, yuan, and other mafia backed currencies. You have debts to pay, time to buckle down and work with the most powerful nation on earth, to reap the benefits of Richard Nixon and perhaps become even more powerful than Iran & Saudi Arabia.
And this does not apply when you didn't even *ask* Liberators inc to come kicking in your door.

I don't get it...'handle your own ****' is an attitude so many Republicans have towards the American poor who do seek help. Why not be consistent with that philosophy outside the US?

Old 05-07-2016, 07:56 PM

501 posts, read 318,716 times
Mofford is completely insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.