Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:04 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this saying that I am pro-LGBT rights all the way and would never vote for such a candidate. However, this is what is needed in order to thrust LGBT rights as a wedge issue into the trash heap of the history books.

America needs a third-party evangelical candidate to run who is primarily concerned with opposing LGBT rights. Their platform would consist of a national marriage amendment, a national religious freedom law protecting businesses who do not want to serve LGBT people, and a national law requiring that everyone uses the bathroom of their biological gender. This candidate should openly call LGBT people abominations before God. Add in rhetoric about bringing America back to its Christian roots and saving America from divine destruction.

Why does America need such a candidate? It's exactly how segregation died as a viable political issue. In 1968, Southern Democrats ran George Wallace on a segregationist platform. He carried a few Southern states but what he actually accomplished was much greater and the entire country ended up better off for it. He drew out the worst of the worst of the racists and segregationists and the entire country saw their true colors. Never again was segregation an issue in national politics.

I think its time for another such candidate to run to finally put an end to anti-LGBT hysteria within the Republican party. This candidate would probably win Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Alabama but probably no other states. Hillary would win in a landslide. However, the GOP would get the point that it's time to move on from LGBT issues and start focusing on issues that will actually move the country forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I think you're about to see this thing happen right now.

No need for that 3rd party.

My GOP has morphed into an unrecognizable group of nut bag tools and are hell bent on driving the party straight off a cliff.

Their demise will move the country several steps forward.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think you're about to see this thing happen right now.

No need for that 3rd party.

My GOP has morphed into an unrecognizable group of nut bag tools and are hell bent on driving the party straight off a cliff.

Their demise will move the country several steps forward.
I agree, Historic numbers voted in the Republican Primaries to say that it's NOT 1970 anymore, and our Nation has Yuge Prob,emus outside of a private bedroom. The Grand ole Pouters are totally Tone Deaf to what their Constituents think is important.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:40 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I agree, Historic numbers voted in the Republican Primaries to say that it's NOT 1970 anymore, and our Nation has Yuge Prob,emus outside of a private bedroom. The Grand ole Pouters are totally Tone Deaf to what their Constituents think is important.
what do they want exactly? To bring 1985 and mullets back?

Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
There is one it's the Constitution Party

Old 05-10-2016, 01:42 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
there are more pressing issues than the gay thing. the gay thing is just the latest devisive issue to keep the peasants busy.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:46 PM

1,100 posts, read 634,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
there are more pressing issues than the gay thing. the gay thing is just the latest devisive issue to keep the peasants busy.
Abortion, LGBT, Islam, etc...

Old 05-10-2016, 01:47 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
The GOP had that candidate, Cruz. We all see how much traction that actually got against the real issues, the ones that are turning our country into a 3rd world dump and making us the doormat to the world.

I know the Democrats keep dredging up social issues, as they always do, but most people are smart enough to know that unless some people get their heads out of their butts, we won't have a country to have social issues in.

No, people are quickly getting it that the politicians count on dividing us to conquer us.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The GOP had that candidate, Cruz. We all see how much traction that actually got against the real issues, the ones that are turning our country into a 3rd world dump and making us the doormat to the world.
If Cruz runs third party, he will be that anti-LGBT George Wallace that is needed. After he wins four states and Hillary wins in a landslide, we will see how big of a deal LGBT issues are in 2020. My guess is at that point any serious candidate won't place much focus on them because they will know that it is a losing issue. They will finally accept that the Supreme Court ruled and gay marriage is the law of the land.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Here's my opinion:

While many people in the conservative and Republican communities are opposed to marriage equality specifically and gay rights in general, it is not their primary focus. They tend to be more passionate about other issues like abortion and Second Amendment gun ownership rights. There are actually very few organizations whose sole purpose is fighting gay rights ... the National Organization for Marriage is one.

Conservatives are not unanimously on board in opposing gay rights; the libertarian identified voters tend to have a more "live and let live" attitude.

Nearly one year ago the Supreme Court made it's Obergefell decision. Around the same time Sen. Ted Cruz introduced a bill to amend the US Constitution to outlaw all same sex marriage. In the year since, has there been an impressive groundswell of support for the Cruz amendment? Is the GOP making overturning marriage equality the centerpiece of their domestic policy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections