Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:38 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,173,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I think you just made my point. Victimizers = Bush, Republicans, special interests, lobbyists, Halliburton, credit card companies, oil industry, pharmaceutical companies. Victims = most Americans. I think I am like "most Americans." But I don't feel like a victim or a victimizer. I work to support my family. We have a roof over our heads, food in the cupboard, clothes on our backs, medical insurance. Could things be better? Sure. But do you know what? I remember the stories of my parents' generation who went through the Great Depression and WWII. You want to talk about struggling? Every generation does. And unless you were born to wealth, every person does some time in his or her life. That does not make us victims. It makes us human. Read the Bible, cover to cover, and you'll discover that struggling is part of the human condition. Only utopians, like Marx and company, and perhaps your Mr. Obama, think they have the answer to that aspect of the human condition. Beware the utopians. The 20th century is littered with the corpses of hundreds of millions of people offered on the altar of their delusions.

OH! GAWD FORBID we should expect life to get BETTER in "the world's greatest country"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,185,965 times
There is a Wall Street Journal opinion piece that says much the same thing: Obama's speeches are downers. People just don't realize it yet because they are caught up in them.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,200,129 times
Default Whence the Speaking Style

I think the OP is unfamiliar with the resonance and cadence of black Baptist churches. Neither Jesse Jackson, Jeremiah Wright or Louis Farrakhan invented it. That's what Obama sounds like to me, although I am not Baptist but have been to his church.

Reagan tailored his style as to a particular audience and was not above race baiting; Obama surely tries more to bring everyone together. It is also impossible to speak policy during a stump speech -- you come off as a policy wonk. Viz. Bill Bradley. So give the guy a break and study his stated opinions.

I actually think he is a pretty good orator. Highly inspirational. Like Biden's stolen rhetoric on people having a platform to stand on.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM

316 posts, read 596,636 times
Cool Define Please!

Quote:
If you really listen to Obama's speeches you'll recognize something very familiar. And I'm not referring to specific phrasing that he may or may not have borrowed from other speakers. Rather you need to listen to the cadences of his delivery and, in particular, his themes. When you do you'll begin to discern the real influences on his oratory and his thought.
I must tell you, you are absolutely correct. Myself, and hundreds of millions of people have really listened to his amazing oratory and his thoughts. The influence of this mans spoken workds is supreme.

Quote:
In the first instance his speaking style, the sing song cadences, reveal a man steeped in the oratory of the Black pulpit and the black political leaders of the civil rights era and, later, the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Julian Bond, Harry Belafonte and even Louis Farrakhan. That's to be expected. These are the mythic figures of the African-American community and one would expect that a young man aspiring to political leadership in his community and beyond would look to such figures to pattern his speaking style upon.
For such a wonderful assessment, I assume you are professional. Then again so am I. I must tell you, I completely disagree with you.

Mr. OBAMA SOUNDS LIKE BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, THOMAS JEFERSON, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, TEDDY ROOSERVELT, JOHN F. KENNEDY, ROBERT F. KENNEDY, AND RONALD REAGAN.

Quote:
But Obama has picked up more than the speaking style of these sometime polarizing figures. He has also adopted their way of seeing American society. For a Jackson or a Sharpton or a Farrakhan there really are Two Americas (the theme that John Edwards tried but could not successfully sell).
There is the America of the victims and the America of the victimizers. And the victims are powerless unless government comes to their rescue. As evidence of that look at the response of the people of New Orleans to Hurricane Katrina. It wasn't enough that they were victims of a natural disaster. They had to cast about for victimizers to explain their plight and, of course, the ideal victimizers was the Bush administration which was actually accused of blowing up the levies to flood the neighborhoods of New Orleans' poor and, largely, Black citizens. Unfortunately victimization ends up a self-fulfilling prophecy and, in fact, the "victims" of Katrina have been unable to help themselves in any meaningful way. They are still waiting for government to ride to their rescue.
I feel so sorry that this is your understanding of the great United State republic of which we live in. Did you master in historical science? No offence, but perhaps you can post your thesis - it will help clarify the basis of these fudemental beliefs you decry.

Quote:
Victimization is Obama's over-riding theme. And although he talks about "The Audacity of Hope" the victim theme is actually pretty grim. Listen carefully as he runs through his catalogue of woes. At the end of it one would be forgiven if he felt beaten down by life. But wait! Obama offers hope. The government will reverse all this misery and make your life meaningful, prosperous and fulfilled. And it will do that by crushing the victimizers and wrest from them their ill-gotten gain and distribute it to the lowly. Life will be beautiful.
I am under the impression that Mr. Obama is conniving to follow in the ways of Hugo Chavaz and other more historical figures of that caliber. - I suppose that instead of writing this wonderful thread tha tyou have started, you should try to notify the public.... perhaps contact the news agencies, the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security... This man that you have portrayed sounds psychotic... conniving .... dangerous....

It's trully amazing that the entire United States and in fact the intuned news following world did not catch this... So glad that you did... Can you imagine what would have happened had you not realized this scary communist stlye dictatorship hidden within.. Wow - we could have been headed for catastrophy. Thank You for saving all Americans from doom... wow.. Do you work for the CIA?

Quote:
Black people have been listening to this message for at least two generations. And they're no better off than before.
You know I have spent time writing on your previous paragraphs that I do not feel like erasing them - but this last paragraph really makes me think that the whole thread is not worth my attention....

I mean - Mr. Obama, accroding to what you have wrote previously is a product of all the black leaders.. and following their guidence and example has managed to propel hislef into the front runner position of the Democratic Party, with the amazing endorsements of most of the major Democratic party figures in alll walks of government... and so many unions of hundreds of thousands of members....

HOW CAN YOU CLAIM THAT THEY ARE NO BETTER THEN THEY ARE BEFORE?

Either they are better off then before, or Mr. obama iis perhaps relying on different idiology, or both?

Quote:
If anything they are worse off. Now Obama is trying to peddle this wretched message to a broader constituency and many are buying into it. And that's scary.

Wretched Message? I wonder what you would call inspiration? Please post your definition of the world inspiration. I'm sure I'm not the only curious person. Thanks!

Quote:
Obama has been compared to Reagan in his ability to inspire. There is no comparison. Reagan inspired people to believe in themselves. Obama inspires people to believe in government.
I agree with half of your statement. Mr. Obama inspires. Period. (althoug I wonder how people are inspired by "wretched" messages?!! - Or is it just you?)

Old 02-15-2008, 01:36 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OH! GAWD FORBID we should expect life to get BETTER in "the world's greatest country"
In fact the American dream is precisely to make life better for ourselves and our children. And because of that life has consistently gotten better from one generation to the next. I'm all for that. But I've never believed that that happens as a result of government action. Rather it is the fruit of initiative, hard work and imagination. Look at Bill Gates, for instance. Right now he is on a humanitarian kick to "give back" to society for all that he has earned by dint of his creativity and hard work. In fact his generosity will never match what he has given individuals and society because of Microsoft. Think of all the lives this man has touched for the better because he created a fantastic company. The thousands upon thousands of good jobs he has created directly and indirectly. I can assure you that a man like Gates has done and will do more to improve the lives of people than a thousand Obamas, with all his flowery speech.

By the way, why do you put "the world's greatest country" in quotes? Do you disbelieve that you live in the world's greatest country? If you do, why do you suppose that people from all over the world wait in line 20 years and more to come to this country?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM

316 posts, read 596,636 times
Quote:
By the way, why do you put "the world's greatest country" in quotes? Do you disbelieve that you live in the world's greatest country? If you do, why do you suppose that people from all over the world wait in line 20 years and more to come to this country?
Unless they come through Mexico ... - But Shh!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
I must tell you, you are absolutely correct. Myself, and hundreds of millions of people have really listened to his amazing oratory and his thoughts. The influence of this mans spoken workds is supreme.

For such a wonderful assessment, I assume you are professional. Then again so am I. I must tell you, I completely disagree with you.

Mr. OBAMA SOUNDS LIKE BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, THOMAS JEFERSON, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, TEDDY ROOSERVELT, JOHN F. KENNEDY, ROBERT F. KENNEDY, AND RONALD REAGAN.

I feel so sorry that this is your understanding of the great United State republic of which we live in. Did you master in historical science? No offence, but perhaps you can post your thesis - it will help clarify the basis of these fudemental beliefs you decry.

I am under the impression that Mr. Obama is conniving to follow in the ways of Hugo Chavaz and other more historical figures of that caliber. - I suppose that instead of writing this wonderful thread tha tyou have started, you should try to notify the public.... perhaps contact the news agencies, the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security... This man that you have portrayed sounds psychotic... conniving .... dangerous....

It's trully amazing that the entire United States and in fact the intuned news following world did not catch this... So glad that you did... Can you imagine what would have happened had you not realized this scary communist stlye dictatorship hidden within.. Wow - we could have been headed for catastrophy. Thank You for saving all Americans from doom... wow.. Do you work for the CIA?

You know I have spent time writing on your previous paragraphs that I do not feel like erasing them - but this last paragraph really makes me think that the whole thread is not worth my attention....

I mean - Mr. Obama, accroding to what you have wrote previously is a product of all the black leaders.. and following their guidence and example has managed to propel hislef into the front runner position of the Democratic Party, with the amazing endorsements of most of the major Democratic party figures in alll walks of government... and so many unions of hundreds of thousands of members....

HOW CAN YOU CLAIM THAT THEY ARE NO BETTER THEN THEY ARE BEFORE?

Either they are better off then before, or Mr. obama iis perhaps relying on different idiology, or both?

Wretched Message? I wonder what you would call inspiration? Please post your definition of the world inspiration. I'm sure I'm not the only curious person. Thanks!

I agree with half of your statement. Mr. Obama inspires. Period. (althoug I wonder how people are inspired by "wretched" messages?!! - Or is it just you?)
Whew, Rabbi! Let me just say that I'm happy for you that you've found your redeemer.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
Unless they come through Mexico ... - But Shh!
Non Sequitur. And cheap shot. The Mexican invasion merely proves the point. To ask that they come legally is not too much to ask, is it?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:46 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
Quote:
If you really listen to Obama's speeches you'll recognize something very familiar. And I'm not referring to specific phrasing that he may or may not have borrowed from other speakers. Rather you need to listen to the cadences of his delivery and, in particular, his themes. When you do you'll begin to discern the real influences on his oratory and his thought.

In the first instance his speaking style, the sing song cadences, reveal a man steeped in the oratory of the Black pulpit and the black political leaders of the civil rights era and, later, the likes of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Julian Bond, Harry Belafonte and even Louis Farrakhan. That's to be expected. These are the mythic figures of the African-American community and one would expect that a young man aspiring to political leadership in his community and beyond would look to such figures to pattern his speaking style upon.

But Obama has picked up more than the speaking style of these sometime polarizing figures. He has also adopted their way of seeing American society. For a Jackson or a Sharpton or a Farrakhan there really are Two Americas (the theme that John Edwards tried but could not successfully sell).
There is the America of the victims and the America of the victimizers. And the victims are powerless unless government comes to their rescue. As evidence of that look at the response of the people of New Orleans to Hurricane Katrina. It wasn't enough that they were victims of a natural disaster. They had to cast about for victimizers to explain their plight and, of course, the ideal victimizers was the Bush administration which was actually accused of blowing up the levies to flood the neighborhoods of New Orleans' poor and, largely, Black citizens. Unfortunately victimization ends up a self-fulfilling prophecy and, in fact, the "victims" of Katrina have been unable to help themselves in any meaningful way. They are still waiting for government to ride to their rescue.

Victimization is Obama's over-riding theme. And although he talks about "The Audacity of Hope" the victim theme is actually pretty grim. Listen carefully as he runs through his catalogue of woes. At the end of it one would be forgiven if he felt beaten down by life. But wait! Obama offers hope. The government will reverse all this misery and make your life meaningful, prosperous and fulfilled. And it will do that by crushing the victimizers and wrest from them their ill-gotten gain and distribute it to the lowly. Life will be beautiful.

Black people have been listening to this message for at least two generations. And they're no better off than before. If anything they are worse off. Now Obama is trying to peddle this wretched message to a broader constituency and many are buying into it. And that's scary.

Obama has been compared to Reagan in his ability to inspire. There is no comparison. Reagan inspired people to believe in themselves. Obama inspires people to believe in government.

You're right.

Obama's done. Look for Hillary to sweep.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,871,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user1000 View Post
Bill Clinton ran a State.
Yeah, Arkansas, one of the least populated and rural states in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections