Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
In 1992, Ross Perot selected as his running mate retired Vice Admiral James Stockdale, a Medal of Honor recipient for his actions during his seven and a half years as a POW during the Vietnam War.

In 2015, Donald Trump mocked Senator John McCain, a Vietnam POW, saying that "he's not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who don't get captured." Do I need to tell you about John McCain's experience as a POW and what elevated him (imo) from simply being a guy who was captured?
But you know what? John McCain let me down when he came out and endorsed Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:35 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
But at the end . . he acted completely crazy!
I don't remember much of it at the time-being 5 years old hah.

But how much of that was influenced by the media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It is beyond foolish to think a pro-choice, pro-gun control, pro-tax increases, anti-free trade, pro-universal healthcare candidate split the vote on the right. Fact - on the positions, Perot was a center-left candidate. You can wallow in denial all you want, but to assert that there was some conservative clamor for a pro-choice, pro-gun control, pro-tax increases, anti-free trade, pro-universal healthcare borders on delusional.
Wasn't Perot Anti Gun-Control actually? Balancing the budget, and cutting SS also seem very conservative positions.

Still, I see no reason why the establishment wouldn't want HW to win.

"A detailed analysis of voting demographics revealed that Perot's support drew heavily from across the political spectrum, with 20% of his votes coming from self-described liberals, 27% from self-described conservatives, and 53% coming from self-described moderates. Exit polls also showed that Ross Perot drew 38% of his vote from Bush, and 38% of his vote from Clinton, while the rest of his voters would have stayed home had he not been on the ballot.[43]"

Old 06-09-2016, 12:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
In 1992, Ross Perot selected as his running mate retired Vice Admiral James Stockdale, a Medal of Honor recipient for his actions during his seven and a half years as a POW during the Vietnam War.

In 2015, Donald Trump mocked Senator John McCain, a Vietnam POW, saying that "he's not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who don't get captured." Do I need to tell you about John McCain's experience as a POW and what elevated him (imo) from simply being a guy who was captured?

Do you remember Stockdale? He was in a league of his own - not in a good way. Probably a good guy, but he should have been nowhere near a serious VP selection.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:49 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
His entire family would have to be in on it. They are fully invested in their father being president, I have seen them in interviews being very supportive.

I have also seen one of his sons in town halls talking to residents; he may have politics in his future in New York City.

They want to change the U.S. to the more traditional America that allowed them to be as successful as they are. If you watch videos of Trump early on, he is pretty consistent. When asked if he wanted to run 30 years ago, he said 'No, but if things get bad enough, I may run.'

Like you said, we have reached that tipping point.

Trump said he would be pivoting to the issues and I have a feeling he will be talking more about the economy.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:06 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do you remember Stockdale? He was in a league of his own - not in a good way. Probably a good guy, but he should have been nowhere near a serious VP selection.
Yes, I remember Stockdale.

Do you remember what Dennis Miller had to say about him?

Quote:
"Now I know [Stockdale's name has] become a buzzword in this culture for doddering old man, but let's look at the record, folks. The guy was the first guy in and the last guy out of Vietnam, a war that many Americans, including our present president, did not want to dirty their hands with. The reason he had to turn his hearing aid on at that debate is because those f***ing animals knocked his eardrums out when he wouldn't spill his guts. He teaches philosophy at Stanford University, he's a brilliant, sensitive, courageous man. And yet he committed the one unpardonable sin in our culture: he was bad on television."

Old 06-09-2016, 01:15 PM

FWIW, I don't believe that Ross Perot got into the 1992 Presidential Election because he was a mole meant to pull votes from George HW Bush. I believe that Perot ran for president because he was adamantly opposed to the North American Free Trade Agreement, a proposed trade treaty supported by both Bush and Clinton.

Also FWIW, I don't believe Donald Trump got into the 2016 Presidential Election because he was a mole meant to throw the election to Hilary Clinton. But I do believe that Bill Clinton (that sneaky, underhanded, brilliant SOB for whom I've never voted) did egg Trump on because imo Bill believed that Trump would at least cause some chaos for the Republicans and that Trump's ego just needed a nudge. I don't think anyone saw Trump actually becoming the Republican nominee, perhaps not even the Donald himself.

But here we are.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:22 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
So I have been observing much of what has been going on without saying too much.

I have been watching Trump say things and the media saturate the airwaves with how Trump is racist... and how people are protesting.

I stated before that Trump is Ross Perot v2.0. Then I thought maybe he is for real upon following through and receiving the necessary delegates for the candidacy (which Perot did not follow through in trying to really win). Now I am thinking that yes, he is Perot 2.0 - some things are similar, but the strategy is different.

I am seeing this next five months as a continual attack on the senses of people who either are voting for Trump, or considering voting for Trump. And I am wondering if Trump is in on it. He has been around awhile - and although he can be different, I don't remember him saying stuff like this. He has never done anything racist, or never been involved with any racist group. He has been all about the green. But now, everything has suddenly changed.

We are getting CNN and others continuously covering Trump's remarks, and the coming so-called 100,000 people protest coming at the Rep convention - which I think is entirely staged if it occurs. But the point is to use the media to bombard the senses of people to feel shame at voting for Trump. That seems to be the strategy.

Meanwhile, most issues are off the table. Hilary's scandals, which are real legal issues (as opposed to Trump's talk) are off the table. We just get insults back and forth between Trump and Clinton. The issues need to be discussed and put at the forefront.

We are doing our country a disservice if emotions of shame and fear are the main reasons people vote (or not vote). We seem to be at a tipping point, and we absolutely need sober-minded people making decisions which benefits both themselves (first) and the well-being of the country (second).

I am so proud to be a Trump supporter , I have two Trump 2016, big signs in the front of my house and in my back lot.. and I see many more Trump signs, no Hillary , one Bernie sign.. as I ride the streets..some are in front of businesses . Go Trump!

Old 06-09-2016, 01:24 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Donald Trump is not Ross Perot 2.0.

I voted for Perot...twice. I will not be voting for Donald Trump.

Ross Perot never pandered to bigots.
I voted Ross Perot, say him speak twice in NJ and voted for him twice..
I am voting Trump.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I voted Ross Perot, say him speak twice in NJ and voted for him twice..
I am voting Trump.
That's your right as a citizen of the USA. I fully support that.

I'm voting for the "I'm not Donald Trump and voting for me is the best way to keep Trump from being POTUS" candidate - Hillary Clinton.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Remember him? I knew him. I also knew his wife, Sybil, and met Perot a couple of times. I know one thing for certain...all three would have been disgusted with Trump's comment about McCain.

I'd guess Perot would probably have punched Trump in the nose. He was small but fearless. Sybil, who stood in the Oval Office and told off the President of the United States of America, would have told Trump where he could stick his comment about POWs. Admiral Stockdale, who possessed a brilliant mind before Alzheimer's took it's toll, would have given Trump the look which would have told the world his opinion of a guy who is so egotistical he'd use a POW's capture to try and make himself look good.

Trump is no Perot. Their candidacies are different...they are two different men. Perot, in his prime, would have left Trump in his wake... wondering what hit him.

If you think Stockdale can be defined by what you saw on television during a debate...I suggest you read his books and educate yourself.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-09-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections