Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,136,570 times

Advertisements

"The delegates are the grass roots of the Republican Party," said delegate A.J. Spiker, past chairman of the Iowa Republican party, former RNC member and a former advisor to Rand Paul's presidential campaign. "They make up everything from farmers, ranchers, retired folks, every piece of the electorate. It's not top party brass. There is a large group of delegates — more than a majority — that want someone (other than Trump) as the GOP presidential candidate."

There's a GOP delegate challenge brewing over a Trump nomination

Spiker went on to say that the anti-Trump forces won't be silenced because Trump is unfit for the Oval Office. "There has to be a bottom to this pit. But there is only so much dog s--- to choke down."

Sounds like a delegate revolt might be in the making.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,700,880 times
I agree wholeheartedly. Trump is a dangerous, dizzy clown. He's unfit for office. Republicans should not be forced for voting for someone they despise (Hillary) and someone who is despicable. Republicans deserve a better candidate. Dump Trump. Or ... let him run on a Teajadist ticket, which is where he belonged in the first place.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:25 AM

13,733 posts, read 9,080,250 times
Although there are certainly several other threads on this topic, I will ahead and 'cut and paste' my response on one of those threads:

As I mentioned in another thread, the weekend of June 18th Senator Cruz (of Canadian birth) is hosting a huge party, in California, for his top supporters, bundlers, super-pac people, big money donors, etc. It is, according to my sister, a 'thank you' party, but one may wonder.

Anyway, here is an article about yet another event, sans Trump, this coming weekend, hosted by Mitt Romney:

Republican elites retreat to a Trump-safe space: Mitt Romney's place - CNNPolitics.com

I still think that when the delegates meet in Cleveland, that Mr. Trump will be nominated. I simply can't see the delegate committee adopting rules, for instance, unbinding delegates for the first vote. For one, many of those on the committee (I assume, which is dangerous) are 'for' Trump. Second, even if the delegates were unbounded, I feel enough would still vote for Trump on the first ballot. It would start a 'civil war', without any benefit to either side.

Yet, one does wonder about Mr. Romney's meeting in Utah this weekend, and Senator Cruz's 'party' the next.

I mean, Senator Cruz could have sent everyone a nice 'thank you' card, perhaps with a spiral ham.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:30 AM

39,186 posts, read 51,559,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Although there are certainly several other threads on this topic, I will ahead and 'cut and paste' my response on one of those threads:

As I mentioned in another thread, the weekend of June 18th Senator Cruz (of Canadian birth) is hosting a huge party, in California, for his top supporters, bundlers, super-pac people, big money donors, etc. It is, according to my sister, a 'thank you' party, but one may wonder.

Anyway, here is an article about yet another event, sans Trump, this coming weekend, hosted by Mitt Romney:

Republican elites retreat to a Trump-safe space: Mitt Romney's place - CNNPolitics.com

I still think that when the delegates meet in Cleveland, that Mr. Trump will be nominated. I simply can't see the delegate committee adopting rules, for instance, unbinding delegates for the first vote. For one, many of those on the committee (I assume, which is dangerous) are 'for' Trump. Second, even if the delegates were unbounded, I feel enough would still vote for Trump on the first ballot. It would start a 'civil war', without any benefit to either side.

Yet, one does wonder about Mr. Romney's meeting in Utah this weekend, and Senator Cruz's 'party' the next.

I mean, Senator Cruz could have sent everyone a nice 'thank you' card, perhaps with a spiral ham.
One of the Trump critics said on CNN the other day that they are considering making the first ballot and second ballots a non-binding "recommendation" to get around state laws that bind delegates to a candidate. I recall that Cruz manipulated the delegate selection such that he might win on a subsequent ballots. Those delegates are still there.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 AM

6,273 posts, read 5,104,852 times
Well well well. It seems like just yesterday these GOP minions were screaming "He's got to get to 1239. He'll NEVER get to 1239. But close isn't close enough. It HAS to be the majority. Those are the rules. He knew the rules going in".

Now the little minions want to run around his majority. Kinda makes a momma proud. They grow up SO fast.

Idiots.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM

4,204 posts, read 2,355,812 times
56 percent voted against Trump...... so Jeb Bush should be the nominee.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM

13,733 posts, read 9,080,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
One of the Trump critics said on CNN the other day that they are considering making the first ballot and second ballots a non-binding "recommendation" to get around state laws that bind delegates to a candidate. I recall that Cruz manipulated the delegate selection such that he might win on a subsequent ballots. Those delegates are still there.
That would be an interesting 'solution', about the first ballot being a 'recommendation'.

There is something rotten in Denmark, or however the saying is. Yet, I still maintain that it would be a disaster (or, 'more of a disaster') for the RNC to engage in such antics, especially if it thrust Senator Cruz into the top spot.

Of course, given the fact that Hillary Rodham Clinton will be the nominee, and that many Democrats and Independents would rather not vote for her if there was a viable alternative, maybe the RNC, if they do this, would select a person (Huntsman? Bush?) that many would vote for; it would, at least, help the Republicans keep House and Senate seats. Of course, I guess they would lose many of the Trump voters, whom would likely end up sitting at home.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at Romney's event. I guess I will hear some about the Cruz event from my sister and brother-in-law*.

*Although I doubt said brother-in-law would divulge any secret Cruz strategy to me; he is still upset that I constantly point out that he, previously, did not think Obama, born in Hawaii, was eligible to be president, while, strangely enough, he felt that Cruz, born in Canada, is eligible. I still say if something is funny the first 300 times, it is funny the 301st time.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:58 AM

20,143 posts, read 16,284,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. Trump is a dangerous, dizzy clown. He's unfit for office. Republicans should not be forced for voting for someone they despise (Hillary) and someone who is despicable. Republicans deserve a better candidate. Dump Trump. Or ... let him run on a Teajadist ticket, which is where he belonged in the first place.
I totally agree with you but no matter what anyone does, at the end of the day November 8th one of those two immoral, unworthy liars are going to be the president-elect. I'm just going to vote 3rd Party so at least I don't feel like my vote has contributed to the election of someone not morally fit for the job and call it a day.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:05 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,817,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
One of the Trump critics said on CNN......
There's the issue. LOL

Trump will be nominated. There's no question about that now.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 AM

39,186 posts, read 51,559,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Well well well. It seems like just yesterday these GOP minions were screaming "He's got to get to 1239. He'll NEVER get to 1239. But close isn't close enough. It HAS to be the majority. Those are the rules. He knew the rules going in".

Now the little minions want to run around his majority. Kinda makes a momma proud. They grow up SO fast.

Idiots.
Sure, rules are rules. But, the failing of the Republican system is that the one getting the majority of delegates got a minority of the votes. The Dems have the super delegates to keep this sort of thing from happening. They learned from Mondale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections