Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:59 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,649,672 times

Advertisements

Geez, it's done guys, stick a fork in it. Trump will be confirmed the nominee at the convention. Any half baked ideas to replace Trump would anger his supporters and would certainly lead to a Clinton win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 04:03 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,477,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most people in the party voted for someone other than Trump. Actually most people in the party did not even vote.
With all the candidates that were running for the nomination(17 total I think in the beginning?) and many that stuck around well into the voting in various states, that would make sense. The votes get spread thin.

Regardless, he got the necessary electorates and that's all that counts in this game. And got the highest % of votes in comparison to the other candidates in the vast majority of states.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:04 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Geez, it's done guys, stick a fork in it. Trump will be confirmed the nominee at the convention. Any half baked ideas to replace Trump would anger his supporters and would certainly lead to a Clinton win.
Think of it in terms of "Clinton wins either way". That is the most likely outcome. So what is to be gained or lost by dumping Trump?

Old 06-09-2016, 04:10 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,907,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Except the founding fathers didn't have big $ donors/money flowing into politics that we have today. We aren't dealing in a textbook anymore with what politics has morphed into. And your solution is to trust the money/self-interest to chose the enlightened great one's that will answer to the will of the people as the will of the people "lack the proper intelligence"? I'm not going to say the IQ of many voters are lower than a small soap dish but to trust money/the payed off set is a better alternative? It's just as bad if not worse in my view.

You joke of course about trusting them, right?
Trump supporters never defend Trump as a candidate for what he actually IS, they are always just defending him on what he isn't.

Trump supporters see all the merit of Trump based on what he isn't, and pretty much disregard everything that he IS. Yeah, Trump isn't establishment... Yeah, Trump isn't taking big money donations ( actually he is )... Yeah, Trump isn't politically correct or filtered, but all of the good things that Trump isn't doesn't make up for all of the negative things that he IS...

( P.S. I'm amazed that Trump supporters don't think Trump is going to play the "big money / self-interests game, when, for most of his career, as even he admits, he DID play that game, buying influence and giving big money to politicians for favors his whole life )

Old 06-09-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Think of it in terms of "Clinton wins either way". That is the most likely outcome. So what is to be gained or lost by dumping Trump?
With so many people in the party mad at "conservatives", rino's, etc. the party I think would lose a generation of voters if they played that game. Enough to hand the dems victories for the next 56 1/2 years.

As for her winning, I think that's a big tbd, I wouldn't say that at all as a sure thing, far from it. She is deeply flawed/with a political history that will be dug into deep and I don't' think the results will be pretty. Plus that pesky fbi criminal investigation thing. And like/hate trump, he's a genius at picking people apart. I wouldn't want to run against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Trump supporters never defend Trump as a candidate for what he actually IS, they are always just defending him on what he isn't.

Trump supporters see all the merit of Trump based on what he isn't, and pretty much disregard everything that he IS. Yeah, Trump isn't establishment... Yeah, Trump isn't taking big money donations ( actually he is )... Yeah, Trump isn't politically correct or filtered, but all of the good things that Trump isn't doesn't make up for all of the negative things that he IS...

( P.S. I'm amazed that Trump supporters don't think Trump is going to play the "big money / self-interests game, when, for most of his career, as even he admits, he DID play that game, buying influence and giving big money to politicians for favors his whole life )
All a matter of opinion. Given he won most states/got the electorate count, there's enough in the party to disagree with you.

Personally, I trust no politician. But I do know one thing that's beyond obvious to me.....the establishment types of both parties have not been serving the people, serve money first, and lots of people are sick of it. And many have finally learned that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the true definition of insanity. If trump wins will he be a great president? I have no idea. But again, I do know, based on the record of establishment types/what money buys in politics these days/the types of "leaders" we have been getting, what is DEFINITELY NOT working. Choosing insanity over and over again is your choice of course. I no longer spend time in that ward. Many people are willing to take a chance on something else given the reality of what hasn't been working and to me that's a rational/logical way to approach perhaps fixing our broken political system, even if it's just to stabilize how corrupt it all has become in the eyes of many including myself.

Last edited by stevek64; 06-09-2016 at 04:35 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 04:17 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,341,775 times
I like Scott Walker and I was sorry when he pulled out of the race. He's a smart man and dropped out before wasting a lot of money when it was obviously not his year. But the fact is he just did not connect emotionally or intellectually with the American public. There's no reason to think anything has changed.

2,366 posts, read 1,649,672 times
Quote:
Think of it in terms of "Clinton wins either way". That is the most likely outcome.
Ha, ha! You would say that!

27,682 posts, read 16,166,190 times
Sit down and shut up

Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,907,734 times
Quote:

By dumping Trump, the GOP would show that it still has some integrity, dignity, and principle. It would show that they put country ahead of party, and it might help some people who've been permanently turned off by the rise of Trump, to give the party another look in the future.

Of course isn't it ironic that we're hoping the same spineless, weak establishment that created Trump in the first place will somehow grow the cojones to dump him. Not likely.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
By dumping Trump, the GOP would show that it still has some integrity, dignity, and principle. It would show that they put country ahead of party, and it might help some people who've been permanently turned off by the rise of Trump, to give the party another look in the future.

Of course isn't it ironic that we're hoping the same spineless, weak establishment that created Trump in the first place will somehow grow the cojones to dump him. Not likely.
Don't embarrass those words/mix them when describing ANY politician/party, good grief.

I think you're putting way to much faith in these clowns that deserve absolutely no faith/trust based on their actions. None of them deserve it in my book. Trust is something that is earned and if you feel a party/politician has earned such a badge, I'll leave it at that/I'll be nice and say we disagree, big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections