Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:33 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,570,649 times

Advertisements

The man's got a point!

On this weekend's episode of the NPR game show Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!, humorist P.J. O'Rourke—usually classified as either a conservative-leaning libertarian or a libertarian-leaning conservative—announced that he's voting for Hillary Clinton. Clinton, he declared, was "the second worst thing that could happen to this country. But she's way behind in second place, you know? She's wrong about absolutely everything. But she's wrong within normal parameters!"

Of Donald Trump, he warned: "They've got this button, you know? It's in a briefcase. He's gonna find it."

P.J. O'Rourke Endorses Hillary Clinton - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Last edited by Podo944; 06-09-2016 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Hand slipped and posted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:44 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,523,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
The man's got a point!

On this weekend's episode of the NPR game show Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!, humorist P.J. O'Rourke—usually classified as either a conservative-leaning libertarian or a libertarian-leaning conservative—announced that he's voting for Hillary Clinton. Clinton, he declared, was "the second worst thing that could happen to this country. But she's way behind in second place, you know? She's wrong about absolutely everything. But she's wrong within normal parameters!"

Of Donald Trump, he warned: "They've got this button, you know? It's in a briefcase. He's gonna find it."

But doesn't this just get to the point that people are not voting for someone, their voting against someone. Is this really a satisfactory situation? Me says no.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:08 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,570,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
But doesn't this just get to the point that people are not voting for someone, their voting against someone. Is this really a satisfactory situation? Me says no.
"The lesser of two evils"
"Hold your nose and vote"

Geesh, I've heard this most of my life, but it's never been truer than in this election cycle!

I guess I'm used to it. I was a teenager during Watergate and my older brother and sister had the hearings on constantly, so my cynicism is etched in stone. I never have and never will get "politician love" like what we see with Obama or Bernie and Trump. I've been okay with some, admired a few, and "respect the office". I would never not stand up for a President entering a room, if that ever happened in my life, but other than that, my general feeling is usually meh, or yuck.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,200,713 times
Wow! That's a shocker! He was really anti-Clinton before this.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:29 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,818,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Actually, voting against the other guy is the usual situation for a lot of us.

It's a big country. I'm not sure why you would reasonably expect that out of all those voters, there could be two - or even five - candidates who each captured exactly the ideals of a substantial portion of those voters.

I usually vote D, even though the D nominee has never been as liberal as I'd like, and that includes Obama and Clinton. The electoral college essentially forces two major parties, each of which is a coalition between interests which would be their own party if we had a proportional system.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, voting against the other guy is the usual situation for a lot of us.

It's a big country. I'm not sure why you would reasonably expect that out of all those voters, there could be two - or even five - candidates who each captured exactly the ideals of a substantial portion of those voters.

I usually vote D, even though the D nominee has never been as liberal as I'd like, and that includes Obama and Clinton. The electoral college essentially forces two major parties, each of which is a coalition between interests which would be their own party if we had a proportional system.
Look I understand you position. And honestly I have no ill will toward folks who will approach[/b]this[/b]election in the way that you will. And trust me I know that one of the two of these subpar canidates will win no matter what.

But to me that Doesn't justify having to participating in the election. Or at least voting for the two main canidates. If you vote for one of these two (for the wrong reasons) you just giving the canidates/parties false encouragement to continue on as usually.
Granted I do realize the canidates/parties may not get the message from a low turnout. Or increased voting for the third party canidates. But that's at there own peril. One of the canidates might win this time because of the negative view of the other canidate. But what happens in 4 year? What happen with the house or senate in 4 years? Things can get ugly real quick for a official and their party if they only can draw on the negative card. And recovery will not be so easy if things go bad.

Look since you on the left. If you said to me. I voting for Hillary because she has the will to make the Supreme Court liberal. Ok. You have a positive reason on a campaign promise that she can actually deliver on. Not just give lip service to. I understand why your voting for Hillary. But also understand that, that issue doesn't lend enough weight to it to tip the scales to vote for her. I've explained why I won't in other threads so please don't mind me if I do go through the my diatribe again.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,715,866 times
Y'all that are so dismayed about not being happy about the two major party candidates - go look at the third parties and libertarian. There may be a candidate there that you can support. You will never get 100% of what you want, but you certainly owe it to yourself to do the research and see what other options are out there. They may not win, but you will have done your duty by picking a candidate you could support.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,602,626 times
Quote:
"The lesser of two evils"
"Hold your nose and vote"

Geesh, I've heard this most of my life, but it's never been truer than in this election cycle!

I guess I'm used to it. I was a teenager during Watergate and my older brother and sister had the hearings on constantly, so my cynicism is etched in stone. I never have and never will get "politician love" like what we see with Obama or Bernie and Trump. I've been okay with some, admired a few, and "respect the office". I would never not stand up for a President entering a room, if that ever happened in my life, but other than that, my general feeling is usually meh, or yuck.
I agree with the bolded. I have never 'fallen for' a politician. I consider myself a pragmatic and I pick those who seem to be like-minded with some plans.

No dying devotion, no tattoos, etc. I have volunteered on some campaigns in my spare time but my life does not hinge on who is President.

The supreme court is a biggie to me though.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Wow! That's a shocker! He was really anti-Clinton before this.
I'm a tad surprised myself. From what I've seen of him I don't think he's the most socially conservative person. But I'm surprised he willing to lose the Supreme Court for a generation for possibly 4 years of trump. And no the world is not going to end if trump get elected. It's just going to be extremely uncomfortable for a while.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,451,877 times
Quote:
The man's got a point!

I reckon "ol PJ wants to do away with the 2nd Amendment.....which, in turn, will get him his own Show on National Pubic Radio....

Last edited by Chaffeetrekker; 06-10-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections