Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this will be the dirtiest election you've witnessed?
Yes 34 77.27%
No 1 2.27%
Too soon to tell 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
This is a question more geared towards some of the older folks on this board who have experienced a greater number of elections but anyone is of course free to vote.

It's already been a nasty primary for the Republicans that left the party almost mortally injured. Now we are seeing a huge schism in the Democratic Party as well. This election more than others I've seen appears that it will be about the politics of demonization. It's going to be a nasty, nasty brawl. I'm just wondering if it is as unprecedented as it seems.

Feel free to post comments about other elections you think were as crazy as this one is shaping up to be.
Really, I have been voting for close to 60 years and have never seen anything that could even come close to this political season. I am embarrassed for our country and how we look throughout the world.

We have always had bad blood and candidates spending much of their time degrading their opponents but not like this. Even our last election there were some times when neither candidate could tell us what they would do, instead they told us what the other guy was doing wrong. The Nixon/Kennedy contest wasn't pleasant nor was Ford/Carter, but these were mild compared to this year. Both candidates need to grow up and leave the playground insults to their grandkids. of course I blame 24/7 and social media for a lot of what we see today, just like I blame it for much of our moral deterioration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
"Witnessed" kind of ruins this thread for me. Your assuming everyone been/have been able to participate in elections for sometime. Not everyone on this board is a baby boomer.

Now if you want to compare it historically, that would make for a more interesting thread.

5 Nastiest U.S. Presidential Elections in History - Neatorama
No, I think the OP said it best: he addressed those of us who have been voting for than a few times. Of course those who have only voted 2 or 3 times can not really judge.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:12 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,635,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Really, I have been voting for close to 60 years and have never seen anything that could even come close to this political season. I am embarrassed for our country and how we look throughout the world.

We have always had bad blood and candidates spending much of their time degrading their opponents but not like this. Even our last election there were some times when neither candidate could tell us what they would do, instead they told us what the other guy was doing wrong. The Nixon/Kennedy contest wasn't pleasant nor was Ford/Carter, but these were mild compared to this year. Both candidates need to grow up and leave the playground insults to their grandkids. of course I blame 24/7 and social media for a lot of what we see today, just like I blame it for much of our moral deterioration.
I don't understand the issue. It's just two crooks calling each other out for what they truly are. Honest talk from politicians is refreshing. Or do you believe Trump and Clinton aren't crooked thugs?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I don't understand the issue. It's just two crooks calling each other out for what they truly are. Honest talk from politicians is refreshing. Or do you believe Trump and Clinton aren't crooked thugs?
Crooked thugs might be overstating it, but that is just my feeling. As for you don't understand the issue, wil if you don't it would be a waste of time to try and explain it. You are probably one of those who hasn't voted often and too young to remember when the world looked up to America and her leaders. Or maybe I am wrong, you might be old enough but you are not seeing this with both eyes.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:26 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,635,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Crooked thugs might be overstating it, but that is just my feeling. As for you don't understand the issue, wil if you don't it would be a waste of time to try and explain it. You are probably one of those who hasn't voted often and too young to remember when the world looked up to America and her leaders. Or maybe I am wrong, you might be old enough but you are not seeing this with both eyes.
They are crooked thugs as are most politicians. They want the $trillions and they'll do anything and everything to get to it. Only the very worst make it to D.C., Inc. The system is naturally self-selecting as the crooks work their way to the top. Gotta love it when they have their turf war in public view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections