Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,013 times

Advertisements

Former Republican Congressman Mickey Edwards of Oklahoma comments on Paul Ryan's decision to endorse Donald Trump, despite comments that he called the very definition of racism.

Quote:
I know Ronald Reagan would never have endorsed Donald Trump for the presidency. Not ever. No matter what.
Quote:
I campaigned and traveled with Kemp, spending hours together in long policy discussions. Ryan may consider Kemp his hero, but Kemp would never have endorsed Trump for the presidency. Not ever. No matter what.
Quote:
If Speaker Ryan had concluded Trump was the right man for the presidency — smart, knowledgeable and mature enough, with the right kind of temperament, judgment and values to be president — I would have had no problem with him endorsing Trump. I would have disagreed with him — strongly — but nobody made me king. People who support Trump have as much right to their opinion as I do.

But Ryan doesn’t believe those things. He has made it clear he doesn’t think Trump is fit to be president. And yet because Trump is of his political party — his club — Ryan is now urging the American people to give Trump access to the nuclear codes, the power to use the veto to override the decisions of Congress, and the sole ability to nominate Supreme Court justices and the heads of the departments of Justice, State and Defense.

Ryan hopes his endorsement of Trump will help his club win. It’s my club, too. But it’s also my country, which means more to me than my political party.

Ryan hopes his support of Trump will help Republicans keep control of Congress. But it will do the opposite. Those Republican members of Congress whose constituencies are not likely to support Trump might have previously been able to run independently of him. Ryan has tied Trump’s hatreds to every Republican member of the House and Senate.

Yes, a divided Republican Party might have lost the next election and even lost control of Congress for a while. But this is a Republican-leaning country. Republicans control most of the governorships, most state legislative seats and both houses of Congress.

We would have come back as the party that turned its back on the worst major party nominee for president in the history of the country. We would have come back as the party that put the interests of America ahead of the interests of its club. We would have come back as a party whose leaders could look at themselves in the mirror and not be ashamed.

Ryan has taken that from us.

Mickey Edwards: Unlike Paul Ryan, Ronald Reagan wouldn't endorse Donald Trump | Opinion | host.madison.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 06:52 AM

26,233 posts, read 22,402,522 times
Good for me! I don't rely on what politicians, TV hosts, media of any type, neighbors, family or friends to decide who I vote for! Trump 2016! Just made my contribution to his campaign, "Happy Birthday, Mr. Trump!"

Old 06-14-2016, 06:52 AM

16,234 posts, read 5,922,879 times
Reagan and Kemp would not have been welcome in todays GOP either.
I was a huge fan of Jack Kemp and Reagan, but both had qualities that today's GOP detest. The willingness to reach across the aisle and seek compromise.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:03 AM

13,733 posts, read 9,079,360 times
Well, it is, at best, speculative, since Mr. Reagan is long dead. I guess we could also speculate about other dead people's opinion of Donald John Trump, but I see little value in such a discussion.

However, I shall indeed speculate: if Mr. Reagan came back to life, and felt he had to 'endorse' Mr. Trump or Hillary Rodham Clinton, I would imagine that he would endorse Mr. Trump ('speak no ill of fellow Republicans'), if only to encourage people to vote "R" down the ladder.

Of course, he could take the route of the Bush family, and sit at home and do nothing. I can't imagine Mr. Reagan having endorsed Ms. Clinton, under any circumstances (unless Mr. Reagan awakened from his sleep during the time he was a Democrat, but that is another field of speculation).

Old 06-14-2016, 07:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,618,225 times
Speaking of endorsements. Any guess who the Lt Gov Texas endorses?

One guess, and it ain't Hillary Clinton.

Texas Lt Gov has Donald Trump Tweetitis Disease

Old 06-14-2016, 07:16 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,013 times
The point of Mickey Edwards' statement was that Ronald Reagan and Jack Kemp had the courage of their convictions and never, unlike Speaker Ryan, would endorse someone they knew to be unsuited to be President for mere political expediency.

He's saying that they would have placed their country's interest over that of their party.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:21 AM

6,630 posts, read 6,813,350 times
Mickey is a joke....I know him personally. I worked with him. He's an Obama voter & is no longer, in any sense, conservative. He has no idea what Reagan & Kemp would do.....it's just Edward's projecting his bias.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:34 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,230,994 times
Reagan wouldn't make it out the primary today

Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,483,939 times
Who cares. Such desperation in these discussions

Old 06-14-2016, 01:03 PM

30,566 posts, read 23,982,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Former Republican Congressman Mickey Edwards of Oklahoma comments on Paul Ryan's decision to endorse Donald Trump, despite comments that he called the very definition of racism.

Mickey Edwards: Unlike Paul Ryan, Ronald Reagan wouldn't endorse Donald Trump | Opinion | host.madison.com
He speaks for the dead? How precious.

Who cares what Mickey Edwards speculates. Seriously, the TDS is off the charts - you guys are DESPERATE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections