Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 02:39 PM

39,340 posts, read 27,726,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
WAS.

PAST TENSE.

He was on the list and then after the FBI "investigated" him he was REMOVED FROM THE LIST.
uh huh, It (removing him from the list) is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Of course I didn't believe that terrorists should have guns. We have something called due process in this country. The right to own a gun is protected under the constitution. Denying someone a constitutional right is very serious and requires a ton of proof, not just suspicions. Unless you would like to start seeing thousands of discrimination lawsuits.
well.. So you can take a look at a person and know who is a potential terrorist huh?

I can't, that is why you have a "watch list"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,350,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You realize you can be placed on a terror watch list because you visited a particular part of the world at a certain time of year. You can be placed on the list for merely being an associate of someone else on the list. etc. etc. Even if you aren't on the list, you can be mistaken for someone on the list because you have a similar name as someone on the list. Sitting U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy regularly had trouble flying because he had a similar name to someone on the list. You also realize that there's no realistic way for a person to be removed from the list. No adequate due process of law, which is guaranteed by the 5th Amendment to the Constitution.

So you say subverting and circumventing an individuals 5th Amendment rights in order to suppress their 2nd Amendment rights is common sense. How many other Constitutional rights are you willing to eviscerate?
...and this is why the GOP needed to elect someone who respects and upholds the constitution...like Ted Cruz. Not a pathetic fraud RINO like Trump who is willing to abolish 5th and 2nd amendment rights at the drop of a hat.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
...and this is why the GOP needed to elect someone who respects and upholds the constitution...like Ted Cruz. Not a pathetic fraud RINO like Trump who is willing to abolish 5th and 2nd amendment rights at the drop of a hat.
well, I would argue that if you are not on terrorist watch list, you are safe. You still can be able to obtain guns legally. So what are you worrying about?

You made it sound like all or nothing. It is not all or nothing. There should be a balance somewhere.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:45 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,566,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
uh huh, It (removing him from the list) is stupid.
So then YOUR solution is that once a name goes on the list, it can never come off?

Once someone writes your name down (even though there have already been numerous errors) you lose your rights forever?

Is that right?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:47 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,350,227 times
Quote:
well, I would argue that if you are not on terrorist watch list, you are safe. You still can be able to obtain guns legally. So what are you worrying about?

You made it sound like all or nothing. It is not all or nothing. There should be a balance somewhere.
Ok, please tell us who gets put on this watchlist and why? People make anti-government comments in here every day, Ive seen some for you as well. Should you be on an FBI watchlist? Someone who wants to know more about the terrible things ISIS has done and Googles them. Should they be on a watchlist? Ive mentioned ISIS twice now, should I be on a watchlist?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM

286 posts, read 150,878 times
Quote:
Yes it is common sense. Sorry you disagree.

If you are on terrorist watch list, you should not obtain guns legally. Sorry, you disagree.
How do you propose it be done? It's not as if they announce to the person that they're on a watch list, that would sort of defeat the purpose of being watched. So how do they legally stop someone from purchasing a gun when they haven't been charged with anything?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
So then YOUR solution is that once a name goes on the list, it can never come off?

Once someone writes your name down (even though there have already been numerous errors) you lose your rights forever?

Is that right?
.. I am not saying that.

I am saying once you are on that list, you should not be able to get guns legally.

Is the system perfect? nope. But you have to make an effort.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,921,107 times
Quote:

You ask " If you are not on a watch list, what are you worried about"? Well the fact is I don't know IF I AM on a watch list!!! This list is kept in secret. And I don't know how to stay off this list because there are no set criteria for who should be added to the list or what constitutes "suspicious activity"....It's all up to a nameless, faceless government official to decide. Perhaps if I decide to vacation in a certain part of Russia, I may be added to this list. And if I am ever added to the list, not only will I not be told, but if I ever do find out, I will have no recourse to get myself REMOVED from it and get my Constitutional rights restored!

So yes, I am very worried about what this kind of measure means for American citizens and the civil liberties they are entitled to.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:01 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,106,114 times
Wasn't Obama and Hillary asking for this? Hmmmmmm

Old 06-15-2016, 03:02 PM

Note to self: don't argue with ANYBODY about guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections