Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 04:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I'm not against watch lists, per say, but I don't support lists as a usurp against due process. I said I'd wait until Trump's VP announcement, but it looks like I increasingly cannot support Trump. All I really want for Christmas is to repeal the health-care mandate anyway, and I can still get that through Gary Johnson and preserve some sense of integrity by note voting for either of the two clowns at the top of the two tickets.
No, you can't, because Gary Johnson has no real chance of being elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 04:22 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
So Donnie claims he'll be big-boy tough with ISIS and the Saudi's but he has to ask the NRA's permission about a domestic legislation issue?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:24 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I (one person, me myself and I) disagree with you.

I always wanted to be a FBI Profiler.

criminal profiling is based on science, behavior PATTERN. It definitely works if used properly. Is it perfect? NO. Maybe I am biased, but I hope people look up the term " behavioral profiling", I suspect FBI uses many different techniques, to determine if a person should belong to the "watch list".
As I said earlier, U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy regularly had trouble flying because he was on one of these lists. This shows just how haphazardlessly the government administers the list, and here you are conjuring up images of a bunch of FBI profilers in some room in Quantico studying people's behavior to determine whether they should be on the list. That's just not the case, or so it wouldn't appear.

I am not opposed to blocking people on the list from purchasing guns, but there MUST be due process afforded. Otherwise, you are giving the government an unrestrained power with ZERO checks or balances whatsoever.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:26 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
As I said earlier, U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy regularly had trouble flying because he was on one of these lists. This shows just how haphazardlessly the government administers the list, and here you are conjuring up images of a bunch of FBI profilers in some room in Quantico studying people's behavior to determine whether they should be on the list. That's just not the case, or so it wouldn't appear.

I am not opposed to blocking people on the list from purchasing guns, but there MUST be due process afforded. Otherwise, you are giving the government an unrestrained power with ZERO checks or balances whatsoever.
well, if you have to use ONE example to make a point, maybe there is really no point to discuss.

There should be a balance somewhere, common sense gun law without punishing responsible gun owners.

Nothing is all black and white, unless you want to live in a fantasy world.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:27 PM

3,529 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
No, you can't, because Gary Johnson has no real chance of being elected.
I can't be bought.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Bold is the reason why this country deserves crooked politicians.

Hey, the way I see it, If trump can convince NRA, let him do it.
Even if Trump were able to persuade the NRA to endorse not selling guns to those on the watch list, it doesn't mean anyone in Congress would change their viewpoint or vote. The NRA is simply a lobby group.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:37 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
So Donnie claims he'll be big-boy tough with ISIS and the Saudi's but he has to ask the NRA's permission about a domestic legislation issue?
He is negotiating to get something done. The NRA greatly influences votes on getting legislation passed. It must be eating you alive that Mr Trump may actually be involved in getting something finally passed when nobody else could. Try and spin in negatively it does not change anything. Say anything you want about the man, he is a master negotiator.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:39 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Even if Trump were able to persuade the NRA to endorse not selling guns to those on the watch list, it doesn't mean anyone in Congress would change their viewpoint or vote. The NRA is simply a lobby group.
It's a start. Further than anyone else has got. I believe they will. Lobbyist, unfortunately, have a lot of influence over our elected leaders.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
He is negotiating to get something done. The NRA greatly influences votes on getting legislation passed. It must be eating you alive that Mr Trump may actually be involved in getting something finally passed when nobody else could. Try and spin in negatively it does not change anything. Say anything you want about the man, he is a master negotiator.
From everything I've read Trump's negotiating skills consist of "hardball tactics, forceful arguments, ultimatums, walkouts, threats, public blustering, and table pounding."

That style may work in the cut-throat business of real estate development which is a zero-sum game, but that style is not going to work in international relations, which require a far more diplomatic considered approach. You can't go around insulting or humiliating other countries.

How Trump Gives Negotiation a Bad Name - The Daily Beast

Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
It's a start. Further than anyone else has got. I believe they will. Lobbyist, unfortunately, have a lot of influence over our elected leaders.
Then Trump will lose the support of hardline gun-owners like so many of the posters on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections