Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 04:46 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,723,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
.. I am not saying that.

I am saying once you are on that list, you should not be able to get guns legally.

Is the system perfect? nope. But you have to make an effort.
Even if there had been a rule that you couldn't get guns while on the list, he was investigated and taken off the list, twice. He wasn't on the list when he bought the guns the other day. And, this guy was a security guard - his employer should have been alert to the things he was saying and done something about him - and was probably pretty squeaky clean on his background check when he bought those guns. I just can't see how he would have not been approved. Can you?

Instead of a blanket 'can't get guns', perhaps a more stringent investigation should be done before allowing the gun purchase - something that would speed up determining if the person is one of the 'mistakes' and shouldn't have been on the list to begin with.

It seems like, when I bought a weapon several years ago, it was a three-day process, now it is almost instantaneous. A lot has to do with quicker processing by the databases, but I don't think the databases are all that well linked even now. Make it a waiting period, better links in the data, and you might catch some of the loonies that slip through now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 04:48 PM

529 posts, read 372,139 times
Quote:
well, if you have to use ONE example to make a point, maybe there is really no point to discuss.

There should be a balance somewhere, common sense gun law without punishing responsible gun owners.

Nothing is all black and white, unless you want to live in a fantasy world.
How hard is it to understand that if TED KENNEDY a sitting US SENATOR was on the list that the list isn't created by your utopian expert FBI profilers.

Furthermore, as mentioned by previous posters it took him MONTHS to get off the list. MONTHS to determine that Senator Ted Kennedy shouldn't be on that list. How in the world can something that obvious take months to correct?

How about anyone on the watch list be afforded due process and either incarcerated, deported or declared innocent?

Wouldn't that be better?

Of course the reality is that our big government watchdog groups are inept.

They issued visas to some of the dead terrorists from the 9/11 attacks after 9/11. These people were DEAD.

That was 15 tears ago and they are still very inept.

They investigated Mateen TWICE, and found him to be a non threat.
These departments do not share information freely and therefore the whole process is ridiculous.

You are essentially arguing to dismiss at least 3 of our Constitutional rights.

Once these rights are gone they are gone.

Clearly history and the lessons that our founders had learned and understood is lost on many of you.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:48 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,499,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Then Trump will lose the support of hardline gun-owners like so many of the posters on here.
Irony...

Old 06-15-2016, 04:50 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,723,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
No, you can't, because Gary Johnson has no real chance of being elected.

If you are voting your conscience, your vote is never wasted. Even if your candidate doesn't win.

And, I think that a third party has a good chance of gaining a foothold with this election cycle. They may not win this time, but they may be able to get their views out on the public stage sufficient to make them more competitive next time. That is worth 'wasting your vote' for, as a goal for the future. Well, that, plus having the fortitude to decide not to vote for either major party.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:52 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,993,263 times
Quote:
Then Trump will lose the support of hardline gun-owners like so many of the posters on here.
Obviously it seems he is willing to take that chance.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
From everything I've read Trump's negotiating skills consist of "hardball tactics, forceful arguments, ultimatums, walkouts, threats, public blustering, and table pounding."

That style may work in the cut-throat business of real estate development which is a zero-sum game, but that style is not going to work in international relations, which require a far more diplomatic considered approach. You can't go around insulting or humiliating other countries.

How Trump Gives Negotiation a Bad Name - The Daily Beast
From accounts of co workers who have actually developed along side him, their account is as much as you walk in sticking to your guns you walk out not getting everything you wanted but still feel as though you won.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,943,551 times
Quote:
well, if you have to use ONE example to make a point, maybe there is really no point to discuss.

There should be a balance somewhere, common sense gun law without punishing responsible gun owners.

Nothing is all black and white, unless you want to live in a fantasy world.
Many many more examples. Do your own research. www.google.com

I highlighted that particular example because it illustrates just how erroneous these lists are when someone as high profile as a US Senator can be officially considered a suspected terrorist.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:02 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,018,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Many many more examples. Do your own research. www.google.com

I highlighted that particular example because it illustrates just how erroneous these lists are when someone as high profile as a US Senator can be officially considered a suspected terrorist.
I have a friend that was on the list simply because he had a "famous" name and a symbolic birthday. I'm sure he isn't the only one. Not sure if he is off yet, but when he first found out and asked how to get off the response was clear and simple, he was told "you cant."

Old 06-15-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I have a friend that was on the list simply because he had a "famous" name and a symbolic birthday. I'm sure he isn't the only one. Not sure if he is off yet, but when he first found out and asked how to get off the response was clear and simple, he was told "you cant."
There needs to be stricter guidelines for being put on the watch list. I also understand fully that Orlando would not have been prevented, Adam Lanza would not have been prevented... However, it's a start. Some things will never be prevented. We have to try. And gun laws are only the beginning. Border control, stricter immigration when it comes to people coming over with no paperwork, border control etc all need to be addressed and dealt with if we want any kind of security.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:16 PM

39,504 posts, read 27,878,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
There needs to be stricter guidelines for being put on the watch list. I also understand fully that Orlando would not have been prevented, Adam Lanza would not have been prevented... However, it's a start. Some things will never be prevented. We have to try. And gun laws are only the beginning. Border control, stricter immigration when it comes to people coming over with no paperwork, border control etc all need to be addressed and dealt with if we want any kind of security.
I am inclined to believe the bold will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections