Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 06:20 PM

16,762 posts, read 8,231,655 times

Advertisements

Just think when the NRA used Its dollars to prevent the extension of the AWB the GOP went along. AS with the GOP'S other great deals, nafta, repeal of glass stegall and the passing of TPA. It only took 4 years or so for the largest mass shootings in our history to start. This is the pattern of those greatest GOP hits. Now when 90 percent of the nation is in favor of common sense gun laws they will try again to throw a monkey wrench into the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:29 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,983,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Just think when the NRA used Its dollars to prevent the extension of the AWB the GOP went along. AS with the GOP'S other great deals, nafta, repeal of glass stegall and the passing of TPA. It only took 4 years or so for the largest mass shootings in our history to start. This is the pattern of those greatest GOP hits. Now when 90 percent of the nation is in favor of common sense gun laws they will try again to throw a monkey wrench into the issue.
Hopefully not. And in the slight chance something gets passed, something serious needs to be done about immigration/border control . I would hope if anything learned by all people in elected positions is that we are watching and not happy. Both parties. They better start doing their jobs!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 PM

39,256 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Yes, we need to have an open and honest discussion about first generation radicalized Muslim American citizens.

I am sure this is a sensitive topic, I believe we need to work with Muslim community without demonizing them, but at the same time, have an open and honest discussion.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:39 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,547,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
He is negotiating to get something done. The NRA greatly influences votes on getting legislation passed. It must be eating you alive that Mr Trump may actually be involved in getting something finally passed when nobody else could. Try and spin in negatively it does not change anything. Say anything you want about the man, he is a master negotiator.
Let us know when he actually gets something passed.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:53 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,909,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't know what you are talking about.

Yes, I agree with the above, seems like you believe anybody on watch list should obtain gun legally. That is not what NRA was saying at all
You're just constructing a straw-man so that you can knock it down.

I've actually agreed that people should be barred from owning a gun if they are on a watch list.... provided due process is afforded. What I don't like, is the fact that the government will basically have an unrestrained power to keep a secret list, to which, they add people based on undefined, subjective, and arbitrary criteria, for an indefinite period of time, with no way for the person on the list to petition the government to get themselves off the list, and no check on the government's power to add someone to the list.

The concerns I have expressed aren't unreasonable, and are even shared by the Liberal, anti-gun, Editorial Review Board of the LA Times and even the ACLU, which is suing the government over it's current administration of the list.

Should people on the no-fly list be able to buy guns? Yes. - LA Times

But instead of addressing any of these valid concerns in a meaningful way, you have resorted to hyperbole to make your arguments. Fix these problems, and we're in business. I read late tonight that Senator Cornyn and Senator Feinstein are working together to come to a compromise. Maybe something will actually get done.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Actually, the first of the largest mass shootings in this country, Columbine, happened smack dab in the middle of the previous Assault Weapons Ban.

Guess you forgot about that one.... Woopsy....

Those pesky little things known as facts always get in the way of an otherwise good argument, don't they?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:00 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,234,433 times
Trump will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, if he goes with the gun-grabbers aka reasonable restrictions aka abolition of liberty.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:46 AM

39,256 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You're just constructing a straw-man so that you can knock it down.

I've actually agreed that people should be barred from owning a gun if they are on a watch list.... provided due process is afforded. What I don't like, is the fact that the government will basically have an unrestrained power to keep a secret list, to which, they add people based on undefined, subjective, and arbitrary criteria, for an indefinite period of time, with no way for the person on the list to petition the government to get themselves off the list, and no check on the government's power to add someone to the list.

The concerns I have expressed aren't unreasonable, and are even shared by the Liberal, anti-gun, Editorial Review Board of the LA Times and even the ACLU, which is suing the government over it's current administration of the list.

Should people on the no-fly list be able to buy guns? Yes. - LA Times

But instead of addressing any of these valid concerns in a meaningful way, you have resorted to hyperbole to make your arguments. Fix these problems, and we're in business. I read late tonight that Senator Cornyn and Senator Feinstein are working together to come to a compromise. Maybe something will actually get done.
I think there is absolutely no point of arguing with you at this point.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Trump will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, if he goes with the gun-grabbers aka reasonable restrictions aka abolition of liberty.
Wellppp..... All I can say to Trump supporters is, me and a VERY small group of other sane-minded individuals on this board, TOLD YA SO....

And we told you a long time ago. We saw him for what he was really early on. We told you that Trump had no set principles or convictions. We told you that he could not be expected to tow the line under pressure. We told you that he would do whatever he thinks will make him most popular at any given moment, because that's who he is. We told you this, when there was still a chance to stop him... but you all put your blinders on. Now, it's too late. He's your guy. You wanted him, now you got him. And me and the few others who had this foresight, will now sit back and laugh as the Conservative movement dies as Trump destroys it one way or another, and betrays you on every issue.

I think I can speak for all 3 of us when I say, we take no solace in being right.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:03 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,185,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes, we need to have an open and honest discussion about first generation radicalized Muslim American citizens.

I am sure this is a sensitive topic, I believe we need to work with Muslim community without demonizing them, but at the same time, have an open and honest discussion.
This sounds good but we need to remember that most mass shooters aren't Muslim. Adam Lanza is a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections