Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 02:04 AM

39,502 posts, read 27,878,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This sounds good but we need to remember that most mass shooters aren't Muslim. Adam Lanza is a good example.
I think in Adam Lanza's case, there should be an open and honest discussion about mental health care.

.. and the list goes on and on / Veteran's PTSD issue / etc, etc.

Without addressing the issue, there will never be a solution.

In term of Orlando Florida mass shooting, what is the issue? Extreme Islamic terrorism, guns, or maybe both? you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 02:05 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,943,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think there is absolutely no point of arguing with you at this point.
Probably not. I have laid out specific, detailed, and thought out concerns about this proposal, and you've yet to address any of them other than to basically shrug your shoulders and say "I think it's a common sense proposal"...

I'm not asking you to agree with me, I'm just asking that you counter my logic with arguments of your own. Show me where I'm wrong. If you can't or won't do that, then we can agree there's no real point in continuing.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:09 AM

29,639 posts, read 16,680,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I have always been a republican and always supported stricter gun laws. I have also always been pro choice and marriage equality. Not everything is black and white.
Ugh, I never said it was. I simply pointed out that there re in fact people whos views have changed on this site based on their candidate supporting an idea.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:10 AM

39,502 posts, read 27,878,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Probably not. I have laid out specific, detailed, and thought out concerns about this proposal, and you've yet to address any of them other than to basically shrug your shoulders and say "I think it's a common sense proposal"...

I'm not asking you to agree with me, I'm just asking that you counter my logic with arguments of your own. Show me where I'm wrong. If you can't or won't do that, then we can agree there's no real point in continuing.
I am not even saying you are wrong. lol This is the frustrating part. You are not wrong, I just have different OPINION.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am not even saying you are wrong. lol This is the frustrating part. You are not wrong, I just have different OPINION.
Ok, that's fair enough. You are basically saying that yes, this proposal does pose significant issues to civil liberties, but in your opinion, the potential benefits outweigh the drawbacks, and you are willing to make that sacrifice.

You err on the side of security, I err on the side of individual liberty despite it's inherent risks.

If that's your position, I can respect that, although I continue to disagree with it.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 06-16-2016 at 03:11 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 02:36 AM

At least make the Feds present their evidence to a judge and get his or her approval before being allowed to place someone on a watch list. That's all I am asking, and I don't think it's unreasonable.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:23 AM

7,198 posts, read 4,797,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Does the NRA have to approve of Congress passing stronger background check laws in general, or is this something Congress can do on their own?
Lol. Congress is in the pocket of the NRA

Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,926,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Damn, cant people just say "I disagree with the man but he is right on this" instead of the stupid partisan politics. Plenty of people supporting Trump over Clinton have always thought people on no fly list should be banned from buying guns. I also think if you are under investigation or ever have been under investigation for terrorist activities (of any nature) and not totally cleared (just closed due to insufficient evidence) you should be banned. Both sides of the coin are to blame on this. Many m people on the left believe that would violate privacy laws and infringe on innocent until proven guilty....

"Many people on the left" supposedly concerned about this latest banning has no significance whatsoever. Who are the "many" legislators on the left who hold that belief? [crickets].

These no-fly lists, which have banned the wrong people from flying, are a you-know-what dream for the left, who wouldn't give a fig newton if legal gun owners were kept from buying firearms in error, or delayed. More importantly, today it's an "assault weapon," tomorrow it'll be your 9mm.

Because this latest infringement on our rights will do NOTHING to protect us from those who want to kill us. Wake up, sheeple.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:00 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,326,606 times
I cannot believe how gun owners cry and scream over this. I think there are 1 million on the watch list / no fly list out of 325 million citizens, a whopping 3/10 of 1% of the population that would be affected by this. The U.S. has the most registered guns per capita in the world, somewhere around 90% registered guns to population. So the lists have errors - it's each individual job to push hard to get themselves off the list if they have rightful reasons to do so.

It's a small step to attempt the beginning of change, yet I find the gun community a bunch of whiny-a$$ed my rights people who just refuse to want to take steps and measures to affect change. Very sad.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:14 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,574,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I cannot believe how gun owners cry and scream over this. I think there are 1 million on the watch list / no fly list out of 325 million citizens, a whopping 3/10 of 1% of the population that would be affected by this. The U.S. has the most registered guns per capita in the world, somewhere around 90% registered guns to population. So the lists have errors - it's each individual job to push hard to get themselves off the list if they have rightful reasons to do so.

It's a small step to attempt the beginning of change, yet I find the gun community a bunch of whiny-a$$ed my rights people who just refuse to want to take steps and measures to affect change. Very sad.

Because what you appear to be too naive about is that once you start giving up other people's rights, soon some of the rights that YOU would like to hold onto are also in jeopardy.

Interestingly that # that you posted 3/10 of a percent is the same as the transgender population, yet we are bending over backwards to make accommodations for fear of denying them "rights", which actually do not exist. But an ACTUAL right we are fine trampling on in the name of safety??

Seems kind of hypocritical and very backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections