Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 01:36 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,991,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
BINGO! I just said to my co-worker, "who will be the first person to quote Trump calling someone a loser" LOL...
What does that prove? That poster is acting EXACTLY like the person he/she despises! I am sure that poster has called him immature and childish too.

I do not agree with everything Trump does and says. I would say the same thing to him about calling people Losers so no skin off my back. If he/she or you want to be just like him, good for you. I chose to act more like an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:38 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,169,422 times
From NRA:

Quote:
Fairfax, Va.— The executive director of the National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action, Chris W. Cox, released the following statement regarding terror watchlists:

We are happy to meet with Donald Trump. The NRA's position on this issue has not changed. The NRA believes that terrorists should not be allowed to purchase or possess firearms, period. Anyone on a terror watchlist who tries to buy a gun should be thoroughly investigated by the FBI and the sale delayed while the investigation is ongoing. If an investigation uncovers evidence of terrorist activity or involvement, the government should be allowed to immediately go to court, block the sale, and arrest the terrorist. At the same time, due process protections should be put in place that allow law-abiding Americans who are wrongly put on a watchlist to be removed. That has been the position of Sen. John Cornyn (R.-Tex.) and a majority of the U.S. Senate. Sadly, President Obama and his allies would prefer to play politics with this issue.
Wow, interesting. For all intents and purposes, NRA is fine if you cannot buy firearms while on a terror watchlist. We all know that these lists are often erroneous (Ted Kennedy was on the list, among others) ,and nearly impossible to prove that you are on the list in error. So it would be akin to an indefinite ban. Why are the Republicans fighting it? Seems like NRA, Obama, Trump and Congressional Democrats are all on board.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:42 PM

7,272 posts, read 5,320,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Based on what part of the Constitution? I'm not talking about aliens but American citizens. What part of the Constitution validates stripping rights over suspicion?

You label the government inept yet trust it to strip rights from citizens based on nothing but suspicion?

Please the logic of that.
What else can I say. Despite the system, all I can do is look at the world around me. Not everyone has a perfect life with all rights properly in place for whatever reason.

Too many U.S. soil terrorist type (and true terrorist) acts going on, and what we don't see scares me more. I'd act on that and tick off a very small % of the population with their right to bear arms as opposed to use that right as an excuse not to attempt to mitigate the issue.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:43 PM

68,392 posts, read 54,656,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Many people who are charged with a crime are in fact found not guilty. That's a fact.
Again, hopefully, one day in my life time all of us adults can come together and make some decisions based on compromise and the good of our country. This my side, your side, is getting old so fast.
National Security needs to be on the forefront, whether its border control, gun control, immigration reform.. All of the other issues we bicker about daily will mean nothing if dirty bombs go off simultaneously on both coasts..
A start would be making an effort to prevent potential terrorist (of any religion) gaining access to guns legally. If anything, once passed, next time we are attacked by mass shooting by a terrorist we can all be on the same page and blame the terrorist and not the gun.
I'm well aware of that, I'm also well aware of the fact that suspicion IS NOT the equivalent of charges based on a reasonable level of evidence, not mere suspicion. I'm as much for nabbing terrorists as anyone else but I'm also opposed to giving the government Carte Blanche to strip citizens' rights based on little more than 'we think that guy's a little hinky'. What we'll wind up with if that door's left open is things like Hoover using the FBI as his personal goon squad or Nixon's enemies list.

NO Thanks.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:44 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,991,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
From NRA:

Wow, interesting. For all intents and purposes, NRA is fine if you cannot buy firearms while on a terror watchlist. We all know that these lists are often erroneous (Ted Kennedy was on the list, among others) ,and nearly impossible to prove that you are on the list in error. So it would be akin to an indefinite ban. Why are the Republicans fighting it? Seems like NRA, Obama, Trump and Congressional Democrats are all on board.
Look at that ... Do I dare say progress??

Old 06-15-2016, 01:47 PM

68,392 posts, read 54,656,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
What else can I say. Despite the system, all I can do is look at the world around me. Not everyone has a perfect life with all rights properly in place for whatever reason.
And that's a reason to take more rights away from more people?

Quote:
Too many U.S. soil terrorist type (and true terrorist) acts going on, and what we don't see scares me more. I'd act on that and tick off a very small % of the population with their right to bear arms as opposed to use that right as an excuse not to attempt to mitigate the issue.
For me that just validates FDR's statement about fear. IMO you've got a much higher probability of being rundown by the person in a car you don't see texting than by an act of terror, will that keep you from driving?

Old 06-15-2016, 02:04 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,572,067 times
Quote:
So would you say someone who has not been convicted, however, is required to wear an ankle bracelet as part of bail fair? or is that done in order to prevent that person from doing further harm by monitoring them until trial? Do you agree with such practice?
That is their CHOICE.

They can remain in jail until their trial OR they can be released with the condition they must wear an ankle bracelet.

Their choice.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I know the current system isn't close to acceptable in this day and age. I knpw our government is inept in so many ways.

If someone falls onto a watch list, law abiding or not, for whatever reason I think that should be cleared and in the meantime have to right to purchase arms suspended. That's due process in my book.
Thankfully your "book" is not worth anything. The "book" that matters is the US Constitution.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Many people who are charged with a crime are in fact found not guilty. That's a fact.
Again, hopefully, one day in my life time all of us adults can come together and make some decisions based on compromise and the good of our country. This my side, your side, is getting old so fast.
National Security needs to be on the forefront, whether its border control, gun control, immigration reform.. All of the other issues we bicker about daily will mean nothing if dirty bombs go off simultaneously on both coasts..
A start would be making an effort to prevent potential terrorist (of any religion) gaining access to guns legally. If anything, once passed, next time we are attacked by mass shooting by a terrorist we can all be on the same page and blame the terrorist and not the gun.
RIIIIIGHT.

You must be fairly new to the discussion of gun control, if you believe that.

They will NEVER blame the criminal.

It is ALWAYS the fault of the gun.

ALWAYS!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,008,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Bold is the reason why this country deserves crooked politicians.

Hey, the way I see it, If trump can convince NRA, let him do it.
Neither Trump, Hillary, Sanders, Gary Johnson or the second coming of Jesus will convince the NRA of anything. Their main purpose is to sell guns and make money, not to keep the public safe.

This is nothing more than political pandering. If Trump and our politicians accept NRA's money then the NRA becomes their employer. As simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections