Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 05:57 PM

4,710 posts, read 3,499,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Here's an excellent editorial on why Melania owes an apology to Michelle Obama. Response to Melania Trump RNC Speech Plagiarism Is an Example of White Privilege

Melania Trump owes Michelle Obama an apology. On Monday, Trump plagiarized several lines of Obama's 2008 Democratic National Convention speech. Not only did Melania Trump claim that she wrote the speech, "with as little help as possible," but the Donald Trump campaign has doubled down in support of her, suggesting that the lines she borrowed included "common words and phrases," and therefore represent nothing particularly unique or remarkable about Obama's own words. I guess this is what Melania Trump, and generations of white women, mean by "help." It seems to mean that they rely upon black women's labor to help them look good, sound good, and gain influence, while treating that labor as wholly expendable.

This is totally correct. Why should anyone treat Michelle's labor as valueless? Isn't it "white privilege" that's leading the people who say Melania deserves sympathy?

This is the essence of white privilege — even clear ****ups get explained away and come with little consequence. Meanwhile, if you're black, telling the truth can cost you everything. And after all that, you can be subjected to eight years of disrespect and then have your very words stolen, while the same people who have cast aspersions upon you claim their actions are justified. Moreover, you get to watch people profit from your labor, while telling you that labor is unremarkable and meaningless.

That's this whole incident totally summed up in one paragraph!
Thank you for sharing this. Agree with it absolutely!

Old 07-19-2016, 06:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You need to stay the hell out of marketing and advertising!! Your theory is downright laughable if it isn't so sad.

When no one is paying attention, any publicity is good publicity.

But when all eyes are on you, that is not the time to frack up.

It's really strange why you think Trump needs more publicity DURING his nomination when the whole world is watching. Free publicity for whom? The five people in Luxomberg who don't care?

Gee thanks for the mean words.
A sign of true intellect.

Well, elections are won by convincing one voter at a time.
It doesn't matter when you hook 'em, just as long as you do............

People don't care? I guess the 1030 posts so far (in just this thread on CD) mean absolutely nothing.

People are talking about Trump.

TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP,TRUMP, TRUMP!

Name recognition.
And, it WILL count come November!

BTW, you spelled Luxembourg wrong.
FAIL!

Old 07-19-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Why thank you so much for the reminder. You can resume kicking her arse now. Pathetic.

Oh, and by the way, this thread is about what was it you said? Plagiarism, that's right. Seems you got off point when you posted a half naked photo of Melania.
Well, I was getting a bit ahead of those who will come along soon to explain that those photos were Photosho...er plagiarized...I've written as much in another post, so my apologies if I veered off topic.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:02 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,352,876 times
The plot thickens. The speech writer who worked with Melania said when he last saw the speech, those plagiarized paragraphs were not in it.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The plot thickens. The speech writer who worked with Melania said when he last saw the speech, those plagiarized paragraphs were not in it.
That's really weird.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:07 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,253,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Donald and his third wife owe Michelle Obama an apology. Melania claiming to write it when it's almost word for word? So she's a liar too?
I doubt Melania wrote it. More likely a professional speech writer wrote it, or at least a lot of it, and she has been rehearsing it for several weeks, unaware of any resemblance to Michelle Obama's speech.

But in the big picture this is a non-issue. She isn't running for office.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,495,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i've seen reports that melania worked on this speech "for weeks" so .... i'll be curious to see if the campaign switches position and blames the speech writer ( ..... or just ignore and deflect when called on it ).

Melania Trump Basically Copies a 2008 Michelle Obama Speech at the RNC | E! News
Hmmmm......so one speech writer plagiarized another speech writer?

Pretty hard for me to muster outrage over that.

On the bright side, either both parties share the same vision of the American dream and we are less divided than we believe, or all our politicians are smart enough to pander to what the majority of us believe with regard to the American dream.

What remains for us to decide is whether that translates into policies we agree with.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:13 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,696,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Gee thanks for the mean words.
A sign of true intellect.

Well, elections are won by convincing one voter at a time.
It doesn't matter when you hook 'em, just as long as you do............

People don't care? I guess the 1030 posts so far (in just this thread on CD) mean absolutely nothing.

People are talking about Trump.

TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP,TRUMP, TRUMP!

Name recognition.
And, it WILL count come November!
Sure, people are hearing his name, but in what context? They are hearing how incompetent (and I'm being generous) he is. He is not presidential material. THAT is what people are associating with the trump name.

He says even bad press is good. Well, not when it comes to electing a president. He doesn't get that yet, and probably never will.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:13 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
That's really weird.
That is why they can't sue anyone.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:14 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,931,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The phrases in question were also spoken by Elizabeth Dole. Michelle also plagiarized Laura Bush.

Look, these phrases have become cliches. They have been used over and over again. And my wife rightly points our that ""your word is your bond" is actually from the Bible.

We are looking forward to hearing Trump give Obama's speech later this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections