Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 AM

46,979 posts, read 26,026,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. I would have thought it obvious to anyone.
Looking over some of the defenses put forth in the thread, sarcasm is getting pretty hard to detect. Still, good on you.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:08 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,413,979 times
OMG, Paul Manafort says when Hillary is threatened by another female, she attacks the female. No, fool, this is what YOUR candidate does, not Hillary!!! And to make it sound like Hillary's a jealous female, and some of the comments above that Hillary couldn't keep her husband satisfied -- seriously, women, I don't know how any of you could vote for this misogynist campaign!!!

Old 07-19-2016, 11:09 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,708,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
melania:

"From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise; that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life.

That is a lesson that I continue to pass along to our son, and we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow.

Because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and willingness to work for them."

michelle 2008:

"...And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them.

And Barack and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generation. Because we want our children—and all children in this nation—to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

So I guess growing up with my dad saying your word is your bond and work hard for what you have, back in the 70's, 80's and 90's, was plagiarized from Michelle Obama too?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:09 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,633,198 times
The reason it is so easy to con Democrats is there same reason it is easy to con anyone for anything. Desperation.

They nominated a despicable candidate and they'll try anything and do anything to try to get her elected. This one will backfire big time.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 AM

465 posts, read 257,222 times
I was gonna comment further on this topic...but Melania stole my post.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:12 AM

19,656 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If the RNC and Trump cared about Melania they would find out who wrote the speech and fire them and publicly admit that a staffer screwed up and that the mistake was not recognized before she gave her speech, thus restoring her credibility. But no, they would rather double down and try to blame Hillary. Seems to me that they are the ones who don't give a crap about the "legal immigrant woman" since they clearly left her swingin' in the wind
To look better, they could still say Melania wrote the most of the speech, and those parts were suggested by a now-former staffer and added because Melania really liked it, but had no idea it was from Michele's speech.

Sounds better to me than - it's not plagiarism- silly, blame Hillary, we're not discussing it anymore.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
When did telling people to work hard for what they want in life, become plagiarism? I tell my kids that daily.

Well, I googled those words and after about 18 pages, google presented this message:

Your search - to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams ... - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
•Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
•Try different keywords.
•Try more general keywords.
•Try fewer keywords.

Search Results

In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 210 already displayed.

Every single reference google came up with was either about Michelle's speech or hers. So, it's pretty obvious that the chances of someone using that particular string of words in the past (before Michelle) are very slim.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,708,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Did MLK plagiarize from someone he had demonized for eight years? Do you not see how ridiculous this is?

They applauded and cheered for Michelle Obama's words and Melania took credit for it.

If Trump is going to steal, shouldn't he steal from a Republican? Of all the people on the planet, Trump's wife chooses Michelle Obama's words to claim as her own???

Are you joking? If Michelle Obama had repeated Melania Trump's words as her own, what would Donald Trump say? What would the GOP say? What would Trump supporters say? And let's not forget, Trump has been attacking President Obama for eight years. We've listened to Trump's attacks for eight years where he has said every hateful thing that pops into his head. To repeat Michelle Obama's words???
Plagiarism is plagiarism. I don't think it matters if you idolize the person you copied or if you hated them.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:17 AM

27,668 posts, read 16,160,831 times
Plagiarism didn't seem to bother the Left in the past.. hmmm. the war on minority and women right continues.
https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2008...arism-scandal/
66 pages later,, the left sure hates them some righty women and minorities... afraid they might escape the plantation

Old 07-19-2016, 11:18 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,476,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have a hard time caring about this issue.

For one, it was but a introductory speech, by a spouse of a nominee. There is only so much a person can say about their spouse: a person with dignity and honor, loves his country, good family man, etc.

While the similarities are obvious, I would not go so far (as CNN in their headline today) to call it "plagiarism". I consider plagiarism as a person presenting words, ideas, thoughts, as the product of one's own mind and effort, whereas the person actually stole from another person and inappropriately took credit for it. I did not for one instance believe that Ms. Trump wrote her own speech (indeed, several had a hand in it), and so she did not engage in plagiarism.

Politicians have been utterly the same words, with slight variations, for decades. It is as "American as Apple Pie".

I do feel for Ms. Trump, for she did her best to deliver a speech on behalf of her husband, and now people will dwell, at least for today, on this issue.

I will say: Hillary Rodham Clinton better look at her speech again, and that of her husband, and delete anything that would smack of having been said before. For instance, "I believe in America" has been said before. "I love America" also. Even "My husband needs to keep his pants zipped" has been said hundreds of times over the decades. She may want to consider speaking in a foreign language, for people will be listening and comparing to the utterances of long ago.
Fail. Clearly experts (and anyone with at least a high school diploma) agree that Melanias speech was plagiarized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections