Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,366,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Good observation. Apparently Trump U. was cribbed from some other materials. A ghostwriter wrote Trump's book. There is no "there" there.

Just like Obama's book was completely ghostwritten by Bill Ayers and other anti Americans. He sure had a lot to write about a father that he saw one day of his life. Anti White disposition - like father, like son.

Whatever Melania said is typical. Obama's hideous wife doesn't own a copyright on words. Like I am sure Ms Obama wrote her speech. None of them do. I wouldn't take anything Obama's wife says as meaningful. She did say that her husband being president is the first time she was proud to be an American. Really! This great country and that is the best thing that happened. Ironically, I was never as embarrassed for this country as when that first time affirmative action candidate became president.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:14 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,660,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh please - he's a former president and therefore he's open game.
How so? He's not running for president.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:15 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,479,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Actually, I believe Melania said she had "very little help" not that she had no help. Do you think people are not smart enough to google stuff and will just take your word for it?
She said, " I wrote it, with a little help as possible." Exact words.

She had a 'little' help (read 'a lot'), alright, from MICHELLE OBAMA! What is it that some people don't understand about PLAGIARISM!

Old 07-19-2016, 12:16 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,847,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Yes from the opening prayer to the stolen speech it was quite the night for Trump & the GOP.
Yeah, at this point, I am renouncing the Trumpublicans and the GOP. I'm done! I now identify as an Independent Conservative.

Screw the GOPe and their nominee!

794 posts, read 1,326,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHA, if you run Melanias speech through a college essay plagiarism checker....it comes backs saying "Significant Plagiarism Found"

https://www.grammarly.com/plagiarism...78ihoCtjjw_wcB
Thank you! I am in Grad school and if I tried to tell a Professor "Well, it was only one section" or "only a few sentences" I would still fail and probably face suspension or just simply be kicked out of school.

What is most ridiculous to me is that she (or whomever actually wrote it) believed they would get away with it! It isn't as if they plagiarized from a HS student's essay...it was a speech by Michelle Obama! Anyone with half a brain would know there are recordings and translations all over the internet! Seriously stupid!

13,711 posts, read 9,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
If you really believe that, you should be pleased as punch that Michelle's thoughts, ideas and values were copied. The left should be crowing about that, not getting their panties in a wad. Or isn't that the spin you would like?
What are you talking about? You seem to not comprehend the situation.

Melania didn't just copy the values and ideas of Obama, she copied the Life Story of Barack and Michelle Obama. There is a big difference between following the values of the Obamas and pretending you are the Obamas by copying her speech word for word.

It's like someone copied The Great Gatsby and then claims to be a great writer. It doesn't work that way. And I can't believe I have to explain that to an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. I would have thought it obvious to anyone.

Unless they just want a springboard to further malign the opposition.
Are you trying to claim that Melania was sarcastically mocking Michelle by plagiarizing her speech?? That argument makes no sense whatsoever; and if true, makes Trump looks even worse.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,479,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
This election anything goes if either side thinks it will work.

Does anyone really think she deliberately copied what Michelle wrote? I doubt it. The question is (true or not) will it hurt Trump? Probably not. If asked she'll say no. What's the media going to do? Call her a liar? That's not going to help Clinton. It'll just make the media look petty.
Well, the media and most intelligent people already ARE calling her a liar. That's the point of this thread. What it DOES is make Melania look like the liar (that she is)!

Old 07-19-2016, 12:18 PM

11,857 posts, read 5,835,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you're saying the people pointing out plagiarism and what is wrong with plagiarism are not appropriate to be teaching children??

Nope what I'm saying is the immaturity of those not actually discussing the issue but making comments like:

And tonight's guests on Jerry Spinger are the Trump family!, Yep, you live/sleep with a liar, it's hard to escape that liardom., Poor Melania All that woman wanted to do was come to America using her assets to do a little gold digging. She met a man who was a credit card millionaire with a trail of ex-wives that promised her a better life.

Poor Melania got married and popped out one (child support insurance) baby and thought that she would be able to just live a wealthy yet quiet, sexless life. Too bad that she is being dragged into this fiasco by her egomaniac husband.

are pretty pathetic and I hope they are not in leadership roles or teaching our kids. Heck of a role model - don't you think! But I've come to see that many liberals / Democrats do not actually know and follow what being a Democrat means. The ability to accept a person's opinion even if it is different than yours. Maybe the concept of being a Democrat changed since I signed my voting card and no one told me.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,712,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have a hard time caring about this issue.

For one, it was but a introductory speech, by a spouse of a nominee. There is only so much a person can say about their spouse: a person with dignity and honor, loves his country, good family man, etc.

While the similarities are obvious, I would not go so far (as CNN in their headline today) to call it "plagiarism". I consider plagiarism as a person presenting words, ideas, thoughts, as the product of one's own mind and effort, whereas the person actually stole from another person and inappropriately took credit for it. I did not for one instance believe that Ms. Trump wrote her own speech (indeed, several had a hand in it), and so she did not engage in plagiarism.

Politicians have been utterly the same words, with slight variations, for decades. It is as "American as Apple Pie".

I do feel for Ms. Trump, for she did her best to deliver a speech on behalf of her husband, and now people will dwell, at least for today, on this issue.

I will say: Hillary Rodham Clinton better look at her speech again, and that of her husband, and delete anything that would smack of having been said before. For instance, "I believe in America" has been said before. "I love America" also. Even "My husband needs to keep his pants zipped" has been said hundreds of times over the decades. She may want to consider speaking in a foreign language, for people will be listening and comparing to the utterances of long ago.
Well said. I kept replying to posts before I read further, and came across yours 🙂

Old 07-19-2016, 12:20 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,660,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopalcholic View Post
Carry on! Mrs Trump eludes more class and elegance that Mrs Obama .
I agree, class seems to elude Mel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections