Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:47 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,317,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
last night in his speech, he was trying to appeal to the Bernie supporters. Saying Bernie never had a chance and it was rigged against him, etc etc.

how does Trump or anyone have this expectation when he chose Pence as his running mate?

anti abortion, anti gay marriage, LGBT discrimination - he's as conservative as it gets.

why do they believe that these GOP PLATFORM issues will lure progressives?
Trump's a blowhard, he'll say anything on the spur of the moment. He has no governor on his mouth. We'll be one "duh!" moment away from war if he's elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,208,797 times
Quote:
last night in his speech, he was trying to appeal to the Bernie supporters. Saying Bernie never had a chance and it was rigged against him, etc etc.

how does Trump or anyone have this expectation when he chose Pence as his running mate?

anti abortion, anti gay marriage, LGBT discrimination - he's as conservative as it gets.

I think there is far wider range of people that were supporting Bernie than just progressives. Despite the fact his policies are left of Clinton and even farther left of what I advocate if given the choice of Clinton or Bernie I'm picking Bernie. Integrity and not part of the system scores high points for me, there is a lot of Bernie supporters that are in the same boat. Just like me they look at Clinton and see a lying, deceitful life long politician. Those people are going to sit home or vote for someone other than Clinton.

This election as we all know is far different than any other, both Bernie and Trump have had success because they are the polar opposites of your typical politician. In an election where being a life long politician is a bad thing the Democrats are about to nominate the poster child for life long politician. Bernie was the candidate that needed to be nominated to face Trump and he probably would have easily won. I may be wrong but I think Clinton is about to get run over by a freight train and I say that in all honesty trying to set my biases aside.

33,942 posts, read 22,612,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Actually you are 100% correct. As long as he did come, he could have simply said, without supporting Trump, we need to stand behind our party. Isn't that the way many of us are feeling right now. As much as I respect and understand those who choose not to attend the convention, I hate to see this happen to my party. And yes, I think Cruz just killed any chance he had of moving into the White house or even getting the nomination.
I think that all depends - on whether or not Trump wins. Pence is counting on Trump winning or at least not getting crushed.

Cruz is counting on the fact that Trump will lose and lose big.

15,047 posts, read 8,903,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Yep, keep reaching. But don't address the major differences that was prevalent throughout the last few months in their debates and their campaigning. No true Sanders fans would even hold their nose and vote for Clinton. People like you are truly pathetic ideologues.
You didn't address my question. Since Clinton and Sanders voted the same way on a majority of issues, why wouldn't he endorse the candidate who most closely aligns with his own agenda? Especially when the alternative is so odious to him?

To quote our 40th president:

Quote:
"Die-hard conservatives thought that if I couldn't get everything I asked for, I should jump off the cliff with the flag flying-go down in flames. No, if I can get 70 or 80 percent of what it is I'm trying to get, I'll take that and then continue to try to get the rest in the future."
With Clinton, Sanders gets that 80 percent. With Trump he gets zero, and we get a dangerous and unpredictable know-nothing in the White House.

It seems an easy choice for Sanders. I don't understand why that seems to be such a difficult concept for you to grasp.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 AM

59,489 posts, read 27,618,879 times
Quote:

"anti abortion, anti gay marriage, LGBT discrimination"

Contrary to the lie many on the left think and say, All DEMS DO not CARE ABOUT THOSE ISSUES.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,097,923 times
Quote:
take it easy. who I personally vote for is irrelevant.

My question was to have someone explain how the GOP plans on getting "millions' of votes from extreme social liberals when you have a MEGA social conservative on the ticket. it doesn't add up and it's not going to happen.
Who runs for VP really makes little difference, you just don't seem to be able to understand this. How much power do you think the VP has, not to mention many of us vote on issues other than social ones. With the problems facing us right now, social conservatism really isn't at the top of most of our lists. I am actually a social middle of the roader, not totally liberal, but certainly lean to the left. I have never voted based on these issues and I certainly will not this November.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,828,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Whether or not that happens, I'm actually more blown away by Bernie endorsing Clinton. I'd say that's about as hypocritical as it gets.
Whether you personally like Clinton or not, the actual fact is that Sanders repeatedly said, right from the beginning, that he would do anything and everything possible to defeat Trump. That always meant that if he didn't win, he'd endorse the D nominee, who was always more likely to be Clinton than anyone else.

I don't know how so many people missed this. Long-time Ds sure didn't. Besides, what is so weird about a losing candidate for the nomination lining up behind the winner? On another active thread, posters are arguing about whether Cruz did the right thing by *not* endorsing Trump, and the consensus seems to that he was *wrong* to not endorse Trump.

Endorsing Trump would have made Sanders a hypocrite and a liar. And endorsing Stein would not do anything at all to stop Trump.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:53 AM

59,489 posts, read 27,618,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
He doesn't want to see Trump in the White House. Endorsing Clinton is the responsible thing to do to keep that from happening. Sanders is putting country first. I respect him for that.
" Sanders is putting country first"

So when he said over and over on the campaign that she wasn't fit to be President was just a sham lie?

He is NOT putting country first.

He IS putting HIMSELF first trying to salvage his political career.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,567,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think there is far wider range of people that were supporting Bernie than just progressives. Despite the fact his policies are left of Clinton and even farther left of what I advocate if given the choice of Clinton or Bernie I'm picking Bernie. Integrity and not part of the system scores high points for me, there is a lot of Bernie supporters that are in the same boat. Just like me they look at Clinton and see a lying, deceitful life long politician. Those people are going to sit home or vote for someone other than Clinton.

This election as we all know is far different than any other, both Bernie and Trump have had success because they are the polar opposites of your typical politician. In an election where being a life long politician is a bad thing the Democrats are about to nominate the poster child for life long politician. Bernie was the candidate that needed to be nominated to face Trump and he probably would have easily won. I may be wrong but I think Clinton is about to get run over by a freight train and I say that in all honesty trying to set my biases aside.
I think Trump might get some Dems to vote for him but I don't see millions doing it.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,567,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"anti abortion, anti gay marriage, LGBT discrimination"

Contrary to the lie many on the left think and say, All DEMS DO not CARE ABOUT THOSE ISSUES.
most of them do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections