Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,213,207 times

Advertisements

George Harrison estate offended that RNC used his music - Jul. 22, 2016

Every election cycle for as long as I can remember, some republican is accused of using some musicians works to promote himself and his campaign. This year it is Trump abusing the Rights of the GH estate. How much trouble would it be for these people to actually ask permission. It's not like they don't know they are violating someone else's property rights because - as I said - they do it every cycle and the rightful owner complains and asks them to stop.

As far as I can tell, none of the music is in the Public Domain, and none of it is being used under fair use rules.

Why don't republicans - who are by far the most frequent culprits - have any respect for someone else's property rights?

The Long History Of Musicians Telling Republicans To Stop Playing Their Music | FiveThirtyEight

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 07-22-2016 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 PM

7,587 posts, read 6,670,241 times
How can an "estate" be offended? Do the collective assets of a deceased individual have feelings?

Perhaps someone needs to create a safe space for Mr. Harrison's estate...

Old 07-22-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
How can an "estate" be offended? Do the collective assets of a deceased individual have feelings?

Perhaps someone needs to create a safe space for Mr. Harrison's estate...
Someone at the estate owns or is the rightful steward of the rights - I guess they are the one's objecting.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,007,043 times
Can the "estate" sue in a court of law?

If they can, they would be only one amongst thousands who have sued Trump.

As someone said recently "Donald Trump has written books on running a business. They all seem to end in Chapter 11."

Old 07-22-2016, 11:24 PM

14,946 posts, read 8,258,649 times
Trump has offended a whole army of Musicians by illegally using their music for his campaign. (Rolling Stone, Adele, Queen, Twisted Sister, Neil Young, Elton John, REM and Steven Tyler)

6 Times Famous Rockers Told Donald Trump, Stop Using Our Music! (Video) | Alternet

Queen upset Donald Trump used 'We Are the Champions' - again - Jul. 19, 2016

Donald Trump: "We have the rights to use" Rolling Stones songs - CBS News

Rolling Stones and Elton John Say Trump Campaign Is Using Their Songs Without Permission

Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 PM

13,581 posts, read 7,544,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
George Harrison estate offended that RNC used his music - Jul. 22, 2016

Every election cycle for as long as I can remember, some republican is accused of using some musicians works to promote himself and his campaign. This year it is Trump abusing the Rights of the GH estate. How much trouble would it be for these people to actually ask permission. It';s not like they don't know they are violating someone else's property rights because - as I said - they do it every cycle and the rightful owner complains and asks them to stop.

As far as I can tell, none of the music is in the Public Domain, and none of it is being used under fair use rules.

Why don't republicans - who are by far the culprits - have any respect for someone else's property rights?

The Long History Of Musicians Telling Republicans To Stop Playing Their Music | FiveThirtyEight

How do you know they haven't paid to play that music? Most of that music isn't even owned by the musicians for years when they wrote it they were under contract with a record companies who owned the music. Music can be played in a hall if they pay to do so which I can guarantee they did attorney's would make sure the owner was paid.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...world-20160524
Neil Young: I'm OK With Donald Trump Using 'Rockin' in the Free World'

Old 07-22-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
How do you know they haven't paid to play that music? Most of that music isn't even owned by the musicians for years when they wrote it they were under contract with a record companies who owned the music. Music can be played in a hall if they pay to do so which I can guarantee they did attorney's would make sure the owner was paid.

Neil Young: I'm OK With Donald Trump Using 'Rockin' in the Free World' - Rolling Stone
Neil Young: I'm OK With Donald Trump Using 'Rockin' in the Free World'
I don't know, maybe it's all the "cease and desist orders", the public announcements that they want them to stop, or the outright lawsuits.

Neil Young: I'm OK With Donald Trump Using 'Rockin' in the Free World' - Rolling Stone

"[Neil] Young said he doesn't harbor any resentment towards Trump for using the Freedom track; in fact, he might have okayed the mogul's usage if Trump had just asked permission first."

Old 07-23-2016, 05:18 AM

15,153 posts, read 11,672,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
So you think Trump, sits down at his computer, and selects the music? No possibility he would have a staff member do something like that and make sure its from a music collection thats part of a catalog?

If you hold Trump sole responsible for "illegally" ripping off musicians..then you have to hold Maddame Hillary sole responsible for the embassy massacre...

Old 07-23-2016, 05:24 AM

26,184 posts, read 22,366,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I don't know, maybe it's all the "cease and desist orders", the public announcements that they want them to stop, or the outright lawsuits.

"[Neil] Young said he doesn't harbor any resentment towards Trump for using the Freedom track; in fact, he might have okayed the mogul's usage if Trump had just asked permission first."
If you are family member of his, it will be up to you to get an attorney and work it out. This is something that would only impact the estate or not. "Offended"? Really, can't possibly match how offended at am at the Democratic Party's behavior! Reaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
So you think Trump, sits down at his computer, and selects the music? No possibility he would have a staff member do something like that and make sure its from a music collection thats part of a catalog?

If you hold Trump sole responsible for "illegally" ripping off musicians..then you have to hold Maddame Hillary sole responsible for the embassy massacre...
Trump is expect to follow the rules and laws plus have no opinions. Only "dynasty" candidates don't have to follow rules, laws, etc.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:08 AM

24,630 posts, read 13,093,055 times
The Dems are just as bad about using musicians works without permission. But since the Dems receive 80%+ in donations from the music industry then the (Democratic) musicians/labels/etc. probably don't care if the Dems use their music without having authorization/licensing/etc.

A few examples of Democratic politicians using music without permission..
Bill Clinton - Fleetwood Mac’s - Don’t Stop
John Kerry - Springsteen’s - No Surrender
Barack Obama - Springsteen’s - The Rising
John Edwards - Mellencamp’s - Our Country

As for fair use, if a politician uses a song in a recorded media advertisement, etc, then they can, and have been, sued over it. Because of the Sleekcraft Test, if a politician uses a song in a campaign rally, or similar, then it's almost impossible for the musician, etc., to do much other than to vocally criticize them for using the song...

15.16 Infringement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections