Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:23 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And the crowd were American citizens that should know English. Kaine was an English speaking politician running for office in the U.S. You're going off in all directions which has noting to do with the topic at hand which was about Kaine addressing a citizen audience in Spanish even if it were only in part. No sense in continuing with this I rest my case.
Of course the crowd spoke English. He spoke Spanish to them as a way to acknowledge their hertage and their patriotism. He's campaigning for heaven's sake. It's like kissing babies and eating the local specialty at the diner--a way to say "we are alike so pick me to represent you."

Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 PM

416 posts, read 260,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
It's pandering, that's why, done strictly for vote grabbing. I don't care if it's dems, reps, whoever.....are people that stupid to think if one speaks "their" language means they understand "their" problems? Perhaps to many in the herd they believe this. The herd is heavily chlorinated these days/the gene pool is indeed watered down so from that standpoint, I can understand the stupidity of those who get taken in by such superficiality.

The article I referenced establishes this in plain view.....young hispanics see through it. They want nothing less than being granted rights for breaking our immigration laws and feel entitled to it and don't appreciate being pandered to by an old white guy muttering a few words of spanish on the campaign trail.
This truly is one of the most bizarre threads i have seen. And all over a handful of words spoken in Spanish. Funny the things people can find to get up tight about eh? So, some of us think it's perfectly okay to be bilingual and use it, some don't. Now that's out of the way, maybe we can move on.

My point all along has been this from his resume: In the 1980s, he took a break from his studies at Harvard law school to spend time as a Christian missionary in Honduras. While there, he taught carpentry and welding. And in part thanks to his time in Honduras, Kaine is a fluent Spanish speaker.

While some Latino's won't care if he speaks Spanish, some will, while others will be impressed with the fact he spent a year in the Honduras as a missionary assimilating into their culture. It speaks volumes as to the kind of person he is, which was what i saw as a far more important aspect than his ability to be fluent in another language.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-24-2016 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,639,704 times
Quote:
How many times does it have to be repeated that no one is saying there is anything wrong with being bi-lingual? There is no reason however for most English speaking Americans to learn a foreign language unless their career deals with foreign countries and even at that the language of business is English. Why waste your time when you can learn something that will further most normal careers in this country? If you don't use it you lose it. Knowing Spanish does not necessarily make Kaine a sharp man. You can only be sharp if you know a foreign language?

WTH does hatred have to do with it? Yeah, get along. This is an English speaking country so get along with Americans by learning and speaking English in public. Why move here if you don't want to?
I can think of plenty of reasons an English speaking American would want to learn another language for reasons outside their career. Maybe they want to travel. Maybe they love the culture and learning the language helps them communicate with people who are a part of it. Maybe they want to read foreign books or play foreign video games in the original language so they can pick up nuances that are lost in translation. Some stuff is never translated at all. I know a lot of people who learned Japanese so they could read manga and play JRPGs.

It's really sad that you lack the imagination to understand why someone might want to learn a language besides English. I bet you're one of those crotchety geezers who scream "SPEAK ENGLISH" when you come across two people having a conversation in an another language so you can eavesdrop.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:51 AM

14,789 posts, read 8,130,933 times
Quote:
Nice stretch there. No one is saying there is something wrong with bi-lingual. What is ridiculous is to pander to a certain group in their native tongue when they know English and most Spanish speakers do.
I lived in Miami. I came across many, many people who could not speak English...so no not everyone does know English.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I can think of plenty of reasons an English speaking American would want to learn another language for reasons outside their career. Maybe they want to travel. Maybe they love the culture and learning the language helps them communicate with people who are a part of it. Maybe they want to read foreign books or play foreign video games in the original language so they can pick up nuances that are lost in translation. Some stuff is never translated at all. I know a lot of people who learned Japanese so they could read manga and play JRPGs.

It's really sad that you lack the imagination to understand why someone might want to learn a language besides English. I bet you're one of those crotchety geezers who scream "SPEAK ENGLISH" when you come across two people having a conversation in an another language so you can eavesdrop.

None of this applies to most Americans. You don't need to learn a whole different language to travel just a few words or sentences to get by. Now if you plan on living in a foreign country that's entirely different.

Geez, what is wrong with you people? I constantly repeat that I don't have a problem with bi-lingualism or those who "want" to learn a foreign language all I am saying is that we shouldn't have to and that immigrants should learn English. I couldn't care less what the topic of the conversation of Jose and Maria is. Why would I? I don't know them. It is just irritating when one knows English but refuses to speak it out in public and Spanish is being spoken loudly everywhere where I live. It makes one feel like they are living in Mexico. The fact that there are so many illegals here from Mexico just pours salt in the wound. If that makes me an old geezer then so be it.

Getting back on topic why would Kaine feel the need to address Cuba-Americans in Spanish? They don't know English? I do know one thing about Miami you can't get a job there unless you speak Spanish. WTH?

Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 AM

22,198 posts, read 19,490,239 times
Quote:
None of this applies to most Americans. You don't need to learn a whole different language to travel just a few words or sentences to get by. Now if you plan on living in a foreign country that's entirely different.

Geez, what is wrong with you people? I constantly repeat that I don't have a problem with bi-lingualism or those who "want" to learn a foreign language all I am saying is that we shouldn't have to and that immigrants should learn English. I couldn't care less what the topic of the conversation of Jose and Maria is. Why would I? I don't know them. It is just irritating when one knows English but refuses to speak it out in public and Spanish is being spoken loudly everywhere where I live. It makes one feel like they are living in Mexico. The fact that there are so many illegals here from Mexico just pours salt in the wound. If that makes me an old geezer then so be it.

Getting back on topic why would Kaine feel the need to address Cuba-Americans in Spanish? They don't know English? I do know one thing about Miami you can't get a job there unless you speak Spanish. WTH?
Its called CONNECTING to the audience. Kaine is bilingual, much of the audience is bilingual, so he took the time to speak a small portion of his speech in Spanish. Every politician (and yes Trump included) tries to connect to the audience they are speaking to (Bible waiving to Evangelicals in Iowa)

Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,357,781 times
Why is Tim Kaine not allowed to speak Spanish, especially in the most Spanish-heavy part of the U.S.? I don't get it.

More than 60% of Miami-Dade households speak Spanish at home. What is so wrong with this??

Probably the complaints are by people who have no language skills. They are intimidated by people who are multilingual. I speak four languages (two with accentless native fluency), and speak another language at home too. If people don't like it, they can go to hell. I scored in the top 2% on the SAT English section, despite being foreign-born.

My kid will be speaking Spanish and German (wife is Latina I am German) as well and we may put him in a French immersion school too.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:35 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,099,670 times
Um...I don't care.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:37 AM
JRR

8,168 posts, read 5,677,535 times
Let's be honest. If Kaine had only spoken only English at the rally, the theme by some people here would be critical of him for not saying anything in Spanish, even though he is fluent in the language. Something like: The White Bread ticket wants the Hispanic vote, but disrespects them by addressing them only in English!

Old 07-24-2016, 11:23 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,152,248 times
The Hillary campaign is making an effort to reach out to Spanish speakers. She has an entire version of her site in Spanish, a Spanish-only Twitter account, and even her original account has tweets en español mixed in.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-24-2016 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections