Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 01:43 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,309,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I love my Mom. Great lady. She's of totally sound mind (amazingly so). She's a pretty sharp person.
But let's just say that she, and people like her, are keeping lots of political-class operatives in the gravy this year. She's buying EVERYTHING they're selling in 2016!
Tonight, rather than just tease her about Trump (who I like and she absolutely detests), I actually picked her brain a bit. Here's some of what she said about him (quotes are actual):
First and foremost, "he ruined Marla Maples". This has been a sore spot for Mom for years. I don't even know what to think about this....I guess he did??? Who knows.
Second, he is "just like Milosevic". (When I said that's not really fair, she said, "don't worry, nobody even knows who he is".??). She says Trump is the reason America is just like 1933 Nazi Germany now.
Third, "he crushed a lot of people" in his rise to the top of his career. She doesn't know who, but she is CERTAIN of this.
Fourth, his children "are all terrified of him."
Fifth, he is very uncivilized.
Sixth, he has a big head and white areas around his eyes (she told me her theory about where they come from, but I can't remember what she said).
Seventh, he is SO devious that he chose Pence, who is someone right up my mom's alley. A sneaky move.
Eighth, he has many factories in Mexico (making his clothes), so "how could he ever make Mexico build a wall?? How could he keep paying all those poor Mexicans fifty cents a day to make his clothes??"
Ninth, he would immediately get us into World War 3.

Which leads to the sad part: my Mom is not a fearful person, but she is absolutely terrified of a Trump presidency. She has been picking up little snippets about him from the media...the usual drumbeat from the Dems and their media allies (BUT she is sure that there is nobody out there in the political field or in the media who is pushing any kind of anti-Trump message or trying to convince people to have a negative view of him; "they didn't even think he was going to get very far!!"... I guess to her that means that if you haven't started a negative campaign against someone by January, it's too late and you just have to skip ever doing it).
She tends to read our little local leftist daily, and watches CBS Evening News. That's mostly it.
And now she has added what she's "heard" about Trump this year to her longstanding antipathy against him (which we never really did get to the bottom of).
She promised me that NOTHING I or any one else could ever tell her would ever make her change her opinion of Trump in the slightest.

Hillary is hoping that there are a lot of people like her....

I don't believe you, this sounds something from the DNC and if your mom thinks this way she is totally clueless. Using your mom or pretending that your mom gave you all this list shows how low democrats could get.

1) WW3????? Hillary is more of a WAR HAWK by far than Trump. Hillary is a globalist. Its Hillary that wants a NO FLY ZONE in Syria and willing to shoot Russian jets down to start a war with Russia. Trump is against that.

2) Nazi Germany?: really for Trump wanting LAW and order and to enforce all federal laws?....give me a break......any person that lived during ww 2 and comparing Trump's proposals to nazi germany is totally clueless.

3) trump has many factories in mexico? lies!

4) his children are "terrified" of him: more lies!

5) He ruined Marla Maples?: more lies!.....she signed a prenuptial agreement and got paid 2.5 Million and other expenses and child support....how is that ruined her life?

These democrats are clueless and liars...........my 95 year old Grandmother would NEVER give me a long list why she won't vote for a candidate. When you are that old you don't have the energy to make a long list why you are not voting for somebody........she dislikes Hillary, she thinks she is not trustworthy but she won't give a long list why and Hillary has lost of baggage to pick from from personal and her record.

what a fraud this post is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 02:06 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,935,055 times
Quote:
I love my Mom. Great lady. She's of totally sound mind (amazingly so). She's a pretty sharp person.
But let's just say that she, and people like her, are keeping lots of political-class operatives in the gravy this year. She's buying EVERYTHING they're selling in 2016!
Tonight, rather than just tease her about Trump (who I like and she absolutely detests), I actually picked her brain a bit. Here's some of what she said about him (quotes are actual):
First and foremost, "he ruined Marla Maples". This has been a sore spot for Mom for years. I don't even know what to think about this....I guess he did??? Who knows.
Second, he is "just like Milosevic". (When I said that's not really fair, she said, "don't worry, nobody even knows who he is".??). She says Trump is the reason America is just like 1933 Nazi Germany now.
Third, "he crushed a lot of people" in his rise to the top of his career. She doesn't know who, but she is CERTAIN of this.
Fourth, his children "are all terrified of him."
Fifth, he is very uncivilized.
Sixth, he has a big head and white areas around his eyes (she told me her theory about where they come from, but I can't remember what she said).
Seventh, he is SO devious that he chose Pence, who is someone right up my mom's alley. A sneaky move.
Eighth, he has many factories in Mexico (making his clothes), so "how could he ever make Mexico build a wall?? How could he keep paying all those poor Mexicans fifty cents a day to make his clothes??"
Ninth, he would immediately get us into World War 3.

Which leads to the sad part: my Mom is not a fearful person, but she is absolutely terrified of a Trump presidency. She has been picking up little snippets about him from the media...the usual drumbeat from the Dems and their media allies (BUT she is sure that there is nobody out there in the political field or in the media who is pushing any kind of anti-Trump message or trying to convince people to have a negative view of him; "they didn't even think he was going to get very far!!"... I guess to her that means that if you haven't started a negative campaign against someone by January, it's too late and you just have to skip ever doing it).
She tends to read our little local leftist daily, and watches CBS Evening News. That's mostly it.
And now she has added what she's "heard" about Trump this year to her longstanding antipathy against him (which we never really did get to the bottom of).
She promised me that NOTHING I or any one else could ever tell her would ever make her change her opinion of Trump in the slightest.

Hillary is hoping that there are a lot of people like her....
Smart mother.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:11 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,745,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Smart mother.
yes, i've found that the older you get, the smarter you get.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:21 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,055,545 times
I live in a senior community. Most of the residents are women. I've talked to the ones I'm closest to about both candidates. The misinformation is off the charts. These women I talk to get all their news off TV. Most of them don't have computers or if they do, rarely use them, and certainly not to look at full-context speeches.

It's astonishing the things they pick up seeing nothing but edited snippets on the nightly news. One neighbor is mad at Trump because he called Warren 'Pocahantas'. When I told her people have been calling that fraud Pocahantas for years and long before Trump became a candidate, she decided it was OK for everyone but a presidential candidate to call her Pocahantas. She didn't have a clue why he called her that. When I asked another neighbor if she knew why Trump called Warren Pocahantas, she said, "because she's an Indian?"

The serious lack of knowledge is frightening.

Of course these are the same level of low information morons who think Trump said he could shoot people in the street. That's what the media told them he said, conveniently leaving off the first part of his sentence: "They are saying....."

Until we have an honest media, America is lost. It's certainly not just old people who are confused. Look around you, right here!

Old 07-29-2016, 04:36 AM

38,704 posts, read 26,513,113 times
Quote:
And you know, that's the thing about my mother: she is absolutely not a hater. She's usually a sweet, gentle woman who loves almost every one a lot.
UNLESS they are someone truly evil; then she can really hate. It's just a few people, like Hitler, Milosevic, terrorists......and Trump. It's amazing.

Lots of people in that non-tech-savvy age group (and some younger folks too) get their news from the dinosaur media, so I don't really see it as a matter of "hating".

They just don't have the ability to sort out all the corporate news bull ****.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:48 AM

609 posts, read 508,522 times
Your mom is right, young man

Old 07-29-2016, 05:30 AM

811 posts, read 814,517 times
Your mom is a smart lady

Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,855,406 times
I think the media tries their best to destroy Trump. If you are old and feeble, you will believe them, it's like the scam.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 AM

26,238 posts, read 22,402,522 times
This was posted before. Yet another regurgitation by an anti-Trump. Maybe this is from the Clinton playbook and you just fill in the blanks with your information, but I read this same scenario about 6 months ago or so.

The Democrats need a new script.

I remember this because I suggested that the OP needed to reassure the mother and not feed the fear. Imagine feeding the irrational fear of an 87 year old woman. Of course, we are talking about the Democrats.

OP, I truly hope that you will get help for your mother. It has been a few months now. She could be a danger to herself at this point. I would talk with someone that works with the elderly and get advice as counseling or medication could be used. Please don't continue to feed the fear of your mother, that would just be cruel.

Gosh, when googling, I found a lot of older people voting for Trump, not fearing him. They remember when the country was great and want to see it that way again. They want to see opportunities for their grandchildren and the generations that will follow.

Paranoia can be common in some older individuals. Sad.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-29-2016 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 05:34 AM

811 posts, read 814,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think the media tries their best to destroy Trump. If you are old and feeble, you will believe them, it's like the scam.
His mouth needs no help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections