Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,993,101 times

Advertisements

It would be a mistake to downplay the fact that trump has resonated with many voters. There was a ground-swell of people saying "Hey, this guy GETS IT, I like what he says!"
THAT is why he has surprised all the naysayers and doomsayers that were preaching that he would never survive the primaries, and if he did he would never get the nomination. WHOOPS, he did survive the primaries, and he DID get the nomination!
The talking heads on both sides of the aisle don't know how to deal with the mood of the voters this year. The general public keeps making the pundits look stupid.
It is way past time for that to happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 07:58 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,145,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Love, hate or indifferent - can you appreciate the art of how Trump has flipped the script on politics?

You need to spend/raise 1.2 billion: "I'll spend 50 bucks"
You can't call people names: "I'll call 'em like I see 'em"
You need to say this, this and that: "I'll say what I please"
You must bow down to party overlords: "Screm 'em"
You must beg for endorsements from party royalty: "F 'em"
You can't offend this group or that group: "Not my problem, I'll say what I need to"
You must try to have a wholesome imagine: "I've had 3 wives and screwed a lot of women...what about it?"
You need to tan less and change your hair: "I'm very handsome"
You need to be politically correct: "Are you serious?"

All other politicians seem to be cookie cutter/replaceable for the most part; for example, you could replace Obama with Hillary or Bush with McCain and you'd basically get a boring campaign that's 99% the same aside from a few issues. Who could you replace Trump with? There are a lot of billionaires, but are any of them brash enough to run things like Trump? Could any of them connect with people to possibly win?

There have been rebels on the music, business and sports scene, but Trump is doing it on planet earth's biggest stage - US presidential politics in 2016.

So lets say from the perspective of someone watching planet earth the TV show - are you impressed or entertained by this Trump character that shot onto the scene?
Nah, all that stuff just points to a person who is not serious about the job. Say/live those things in any field and you'll not be liked or successful. About the only field where you can get it away with it is when you own your own business.

Anyone who knows about governance, cooperation, diplomacy, proper leadership, and the mundane activities it takes to get countless jobs done in broad areas, knows Trump is just a lazy minded blowhard.

I think he's a decent father (although son killing a leopard in 2016 is dubious) and a great race and hate provocateur but that's it. I think he's done too.

I'll thank all the Republicans in advance for putting party aside and voting for Hillary this time. Hopefully your party will give you something (someone) to return to in the future, but you guys rock!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:01 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Trump is smart he is just playing to the unhappy Republicans.
His words "I like people who are not smart".

Old 07-29-2016, 08:17 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,957,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Nah, all that stuff just points to a person who is not serious about the job. Say/live those things in any field and you'll not be liked or successful. About the only field where you can get it away with it is when you own your own business.

Anyone who knows about governance, cooperation, diplomacy, proper leadership, and the mundane activities it takes to get countless jobs done in broad areas, knows Trump is just a lazy minded blowhard.

I think he's a decent father (although son killing a leopard in 2016 is dubious) and a great race and hate provocateur but that's it. I think he's done too.

I'll thank all the Republicans in advance for putting party aside and voting for Hillary this time. Hopefully your party will give you something (someone) to return to in the future, but you guys rock!
Well, if you can't think of anyone else to take Trump's approach in another field, I guess that proves how rare a shake up to the Trump-degree really is. What's amazing is that he's doing it on the world's biggest stage...we aren't talking about shaking up office politics here.

You could simply write him off as lazy minded, but I'm not sure if lazy gives someone a 50/50 shot at the White House. Do you simply chalk up successfully going against the grain in virtually every respect to laziness and dumb luck?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
Quote:
I think the Trump run interesting enough to be discussed for many years to come - regardless of the outcome.
I'd agree with that. To me, the take-away with the most long-lasting effect is that the man who won the R nomination is nominally religious at best - quite a change. Time will tell whether this is an anomaly or marks a real change in the political dynamic, but it's definitely going to be the subject of a fair number of graduate theses.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:30 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,942,256 times
Quote:
Love, hate or indifferent - can you appreciate the art of how Trump has flipped the script on politics?

So lets say from the perspective of someone watching planet earth the TV show - are you impressed or entertained by this Trump character that shot onto the scene?
Probably already been said - Trump is not a politician. Trump is an authoritarian. Politics has virtually nothing to do with his campaign, he could care less whether his voters are Liberal or Conservative. All he cares about is whether he can manipulate their votes to attain power.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,942,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It would be a mistake to downplay the fact that trump has resonated with many voters. There was a ground-swell of people saying "Hey, this guy GETS IT, I like what he says!"
THAT is why he has surprised all the naysayers and doomsayers that were preaching that he would never survive the primaries, and if he did he would never get the nomination. WHOOPS, he did survive the primaries, and he DID get the nomination!
The talking heads on both sides of the aisle don't know how to deal with the mood of the voters this year. The general public keeps making the pundits look stupid.
It is way past time for that to happen!
I am not surprised at all about Trump. This started way back in the 70's-80's with Limbaugh and the neo-cons, continued through the destruction of the Fairness Doctrine in 1987, went into full swing via Fox News and finally culminated in the Citizens United ruling. What started out as a Conservative movement has morphed into the cult of Trump. This has caught the Republicans by surprise, they had no idea where this was going to go when they unleashed their propaganda campaign - now they are finding out the hard way. They have created a Frankenstein monster that they can't control.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
Quote:
I think the Trump run interesting enough to be discussed for many years to come - regardless of the outcome.

I think the GOP will want to forget this campaign season and sweep it under the rug ASAP after November.

I seriously doubt that their rabid religious right "base" will allow it.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,279,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I am not surprised at all about Trump. This started way back in the 70's-80's with Limbaugh and the neo-cons, continued through the destruction of the Fairness Doctrine in 1987, went into full swing via Fox News and finally culminated in the Citizens United ruling. What started out as a Conservative movement has morphed into the cult of Trump. This has caught the Republicans by surprise, they had no idea where this was going to go when they unleashed their propaganda campaign - now they are finding out the hard way. They have created a Frankenstein monster that they can't control.
The ACLU and NARAL were two big members of the class that brought the Citizen United ruling about.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:56 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,957,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
If the party has morphed into what constitutes Trump, who would the candidate be if Trump didn't exist? It would most likely be someone like Jeb Bush who isn't a big departure from any other R/D candidate of the last 30 years. If that's the case, your whole narrative is dead on arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections