Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 05:30 AM

6,751 posts, read 3,371,581 times

Advertisements

If you think Trump will skip the debates you're delusional. He just beat 16 other people to win the nomination. Why would he be afraid of Hillary who has a long list of things she can be grilled on.

Trump's biggest problem might be how he approaches the debates. He'll want to make points of Hillary's questionable dealings and policies without appearing too aggressive, which could be a problem.

He needs to get voters to like the messenger as well as the message, something I think works against him sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
If you think Trump will skip the debates you're delusional. He just beat 16 other people to win the nomination. Why would he be afraid of Hillary who has a long list of things she can be grilled on.

Trump's biggest problem might be how he approaches the debates. He'll want to make points of Hillary's questionable dealings and policies without appearing too aggressive, which could be a problem.

He needs to get voters to like the messenger as well as the message, something I think works against him sometimes.
Trump is afraid of the Press. That's why he tries to control their questions by banning reporters for his press conferences and threatening to skip debates.

Hillary may not arrange as many press conferences but when she does, she does not threaten them with withdrawing access if she doesn't like the questions.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 AM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
It would be a blessing for the ailing Hillary if Trump doesn't debate her. I read that under stress, she could "bleed out" per the article. She has avoided the public as much as she can and I suspect she has been heavily medicated even though it looks like either the medications can't stop or are causing seizures, the head bobble and inappropriate laughter.

I think Trump not debating her is yet another fantasy, prayer, delusion, etc. of the Dems as they can see how weak their candidate is and hope to spare her from further humiliation.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:06 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Trump is already complaining that 2 debates are up against football games .... Gasp, imagine if the 3rd was up against a NASCAR Race! Hey, maybe that's a good idea.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:12 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
No meat on the bones of his policy statements, for darn sure... Study for 3 hours a day? Yeah, that's gonna happen.

"Former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell said Thursday he’s skeptical that Republican Donald Trump will take part in the three debates against Democrat Hillary Clinton scheduled for this fall."

And, before y'all trump followers start howling about how unfair and biased the article is, it also says some stuff about hillary that isn't complimentary, either.

Trump Could Win Pennsylvania, May Not Debate, Rendell Says (1)
I would be absolutely amazed if he refused to debate. He goes for every opportunity to run his mouth. And, he can't "lose" the debate because his devotees will love anything he says no matter how ridiculous or irrational. He only "loses" if you look at it from the point of view of rational discourse. Trump threw those rules away in this election cycle. So I think this is wrong - he will "debate" if you want to call it that.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Trump is afraid of the Press. That's why he tries to control their questions by banning reporters for his press conferences and threatening to skip debates.

Hillary may not arrange as many press conferences but when she does, she does not threaten them with withdrawing access if she doesn't like the questions.
I make the prediction that one of his first actions as King will be to muzzle the free press, he's already told us that wanted to change the law so that he could sue anyone saying negative things about him. A free press is an ever present danger to a despot - no way is he going to allow that.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Trump is already complaining that 2 debates are up against football games .... Gasp, imagine if the 3rd was up against a NASCAR Race! Hey, maybe that's a good idea.
hmmm given that football is America's favorite sport I can see why he is questioning the schedule. Why not have the debates on a Wednesday night or a Saturday night?

Old 07-30-2016, 08:22 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I firmly believe that of his first actions as King will be to muzzle the free press, he's already told us that wanted to change the law so that he could sue anyone saying negative things about him. A free press is an ever present danger to a despot - no way is he going to allow that.
Personally I don't believe that the press is held to a high enough standard or accountability. There is reporting news and then there is creating the news. It's obvious that the press has an agenda and factual accurate reporting isn't on that agenda.
When a reporter asks a valid question fine. When they ask a loaded question, not based upon facts but simply meant to embarrass a candidate? I am all for, telling them to be quiet or refusing to talk to them. The media has made news a business. Good you can loose business by doing hack reporting. That means loosing access.
When the media publishes a story on the front page that turns out to be wrong, do they in turn publish a retraction on the front page? NO
Reporters are not the elite that somehow deserve favored treatment.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Personally I don't believe that the press is held to a high enough standard or accountability. There is reporting news and then there is creating the news. It's obvious that the press has an agenda and factual accurate reporting isn't on that agenda.
When a reporter asks a valid question fine. When they ask a loaded question, not based upon facts but simply meant to embarrass a candidate? I am all for, telling them to be quiet or refusing to talk to them. The media has made news a business. Good you can loose business by doing hack reporting. That means loosing access.
When the media publishes a story on the front page that turns out to be wrong, do they in turn publish a retraction on the front page? NO
Reporters are not the elite that somehow deserve favored treatment.
I agree news has become infotainment, some of it with obvious political features, like Fox or MSNBC, but regardless of the slant, it's all about huge corporations making huge amounts of money peddling "news" to us. What we are talking about here is the disappearance of journalistic integrity which goes hand in hand with the devolution of our culture and the loss of civility and fairness at every level.

Regardless even in this flawed form, the press is a danger to Trump. Why would he want to risk having public sentiment turned against him by nosy reporters? Muzzling the press seems like a no-brainer to me but he might prove me wrong.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I don't know what we could possibly learn about either one of them that we don't already know except maybe about their choice of attire, make-up and who puts their hand in the right place for the Pledge of Allegiance.

The moderator gives a three minute lead in to each "carefully crafted question" that is always adversarial. It is not meant for the audience to discover anything new about the candidates but to prop up the celebutard moderators with the TV audience and with their peers in celebutard journalism.

The audience of double rich donors and party hacks will hoot and holler every time their darling on the stage gives a coherent response or provides the best doggone pivot seen in primetime.

The only thing the TV audience takes away about any candidate is whether they provided a witty response that will possibly be enshrined in the Witty Moments In A Campaign Debate Museum, to be trotted out every 4 years.

The 5,000 Roger Eberts that probably make $15.00 an hour for fact checking, dissect each response to ensure it fits their pre-conceived notions about the candidate who said it so they can issue a report card and get even with their third grade teacher for that C+ in penmanship...or so their therapist tells them.

The peeps on the News panels at each cable network, and who haven't gotten ANYTHING right about this election year AT ALL, will all of a sudden turn into flaming geniuses totally attuned to the mindset of the voting public all around the country...until the next day when the public weighs in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections