Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 10:46 PM
JRR

8,249 posts, read 5,774,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, see it for what it really was. Khan was disgusted that all Muslims are being painted with the same brush by Trump. The gist of his speech was that many Muslims are good Americans, and he held his Son up as a perfect example of that. He simply wanted to show that Trump's accusations do not fit ALL Muslims. He wanted to show how much his own Son loved America and he died for that love.

Stop making his speech something it was not. He just wanted to set the record on Muslims straight. Period.

Don
But that doesn't fit the agenda that some people here want to spin. So they morph it into something else to better fit their view.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:47 PM

15,087 posts, read 13,500,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
And you can talk till blue in the face, and it won't change the fact that Khan used his Sons dead Body to beat Trump on the head because he didn't like what Trump has been saying. It was stupid, and showed utter disrespect for his own Son as a " Ticket" to get on stage for his own selfish reasons. That's fact.
No, that's not fact. That's your disgusting opinion.

What give you the right to suggest to this man how he should or should not feel about the death of his son who died in the line of duty? Have you given that price? Has your son or other close family member? Until you go through what he went through, zip it.

And how would you feel if some Democrat says that the mother of one of the Benghazi victims that they are using their son's dead body to beat Hillary on the head?

You can have an opinion on this candidate or that, but when you get to insulting and trying to strong-arm your judgments onto those who have actually tasted the ultimate sacrifice, you're out of line. Neither side should have anything but respect for those who served and died, regardless of their background.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:58 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,801,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

What give you the right to suggest to this man how he should or should not feel about the death of his son who died in the line of duty? Have you given that price? Has your son or other close family member? Until you go through what he went through, zip it.

And how would you feel if some Democrat says that the mother of one of the Benghazi victims that they are using their son's dead body to beat Hillary on the head?

You can have an opinion on this candidate or that, but when you get to insulting and trying to strong-arm your judgments onto those who have actually tasted the ultimate sacrifice, you're out of line. Neither side should have anything but respect for those who served and died, regardless of their background.
Imagine if Hillary had suggested the Benghazi victim's father didn't speak because the wife wears the pants in the family. Or asked if Trump's speech writer wrote her comments. Or suggested she (Hillary), had suffered as much as the mom because she's spent her life in public service. Trump supporters' heads would have exploded.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:05 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,518,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You don't need to be sarcastic or condescending to me.

If Trump is playing the media or the electorate (which I doubt), he needs to stop. His nutty/odd/rude/hateful comments may make his supporters clap or guffaw, but they are losing him undecided voters.

You're right that not everyone has a filter, but a president needs a filter. The safey of the country depends on it. If Trump is president, he will be insulted and called out every single day. Ask Obama. He cannot take it personally or he's doomed.

Trump wasn't trying to get across anything about Muslim women. He was trying to take a dig. Even if he did want to teach us something about Muslim culture, it was an inappropriate time and place.

Finally, what did YOU think about his comments to the Khans? Appropriate under the circumstances, or not?
Didn't mean to be sarcastic or condescending. I choose my words carefully in my previous post and many responses come back to me as if people didn't read my post of which I thought I provided careful wording/details. No harm intended.

Well, he's a big boy as hil is a big girl so I wouldn't be so brazen to tell either to "stop". They make their own bed and are free to say what they want and live with the consequences.

As for everyone needs a filter, I can only speak for myself and I practice that in certain situations but not all the time. I may feel a certain way about things but there are circumstances where I keep my mouth shut. But that's me. The filter on politicians haven't been working to well for our country.....they lie, make false promises with nice false smiles, etc. Which is worse, filter or not? I know the filter for sure has been working horrible for our country so I don't see it as black and white as you. I'm a type who's more tell me how you feel without a filter....I may not like the answer or want to hang around with you after but at least I know how you feel. Nothing worse than a person telling me one thing and doing another.....ie, in my experience, WHAT A POLITICIAN FOR THE MOST PART DOES! Maybe you like that/like false words/hypocrites/tell me up is down and do a 180 degree the opposite. Me? I don't like that. Talk straight to me.

As for what I thought of what trump said? The part about making sacrifices for his business and such? Sure, running a big business takes lots of sacrifice to do it right, but I didn't quite understand the connection he was making in regards to the khans/said he didn't say it so I have no idea/am confused about it all. He said the media took him out of context/who know/that's just not an important element here.

On the other part of it, which I think is the big part of it that some people are getting worked up over:

"Trump also said, "If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say. You tell me.""

And in my earlier post, here's what I think he was trying to imply/dancing around it a bit:

5.) My thinking on what he was saying/the point he was trying to get across and will clarify in the next day or two....muslim men often don't treat their woman very nice and saw that lady standing next to her husband in silence as part of this....and treated on many levels downright badly compared to how most in the west see it. Read sharia law sometime if you don't understand this reality. Better yet, read this:

Women's Rights Under Sharia

On this end, yes, I think he has a good point on the treatment of woman/he thought this is why the woman was so silent and only the man talked. Usually when parents lose a son/showcase it all on a political event, both parents usually say something if they are standing up there and he thought that was a bit odd and questioned it "maybe" wasn't an allowed thing, ie sharia law. If it were me, would I have commented on it the way trump did? No. But that's me. Then again, I don't have a politician type mind/trumps directness and 99.9% what politicians do, I would never do as I think it's largely a sleazy game played by sleazy people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Imagine if Hillary had suggested the Benghazi victim's father didn't speak because the wife wears the pants in the family. Or asked if Trump's speech writer wrote her comments. Or suggested she (Hillary), had suffered as much as the mom because she's spent her life in public service. Trump supporters' heads would have exploded.

Well, on this topic, clinton did something very sleazy to her/lied to her at her son's funeral according to this mom who lost her son:

Mother of Benghazi Victim: Within

I don't know why this mother would lie about such a thing but I wasn't there. I will say nothing a politician does in their pursuit of power above all else would surprise me.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:14 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,678,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

hmmm..

Quote:
There is actually a thread on this already.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ms-mother.html

Old 07-30-2016, 11:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,801,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Didn't mean to be sarcastic or condescending. I choose my words carefully in my previous post and many responses come back to me as if people didn't read my post of which I thought I provided careful wording/details. No harm intended.

Well, he's a big boy as hil is a big girl so I wouldn't be so brazen to tell either to "stop". They make their own bed and are free to say what they want and live with the consequences.

As for everyone needs a filter, I can only speak for myself and I practice that in certain situations but not all the time. I may feel a certain way about things but there are circumstances where I keep my mouth shut. But that's me. The filter on politicians haven't been working to well for our country.....they lie, make false promises with nice false smiles, etc. Which is worse, filter or not? I know the filter for sure has been working horrible for our country so I don't see it as black and white as you. I'm a type who's more tell me how you feel without a filter....I may not like the answer or want to hang around with you after but at least I know how you feel. Nothing worse than a person telling me one thing and doing another.....ie, in my experience, WHAT A POLITICIAN FOR THE MOST PART DOES! Maybe you like that/like false words/hypocrites/tell me up is down and do a 180 degree the opposite. Me? I don't like that. Talk straight to me.

As for what I thought of what trump said? The part about making sacrifices for his business and such he indeed did but I didn't quite understand the connection he was making in regards to the khans/said he didn't say it so I have no idea/am confused about it all

On the other part of it, which I think is the big part of it:

"Trump also said, "If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say. You tell me.""

That was what I mentioned in my earlier post:

5.) My thinking on what he was saying/the point he was trying to get across and will clarify in the next day or two....muslim men often don't treat their woman very nice and saw that lady standing next to her husband in silence as part of this....and treated on many levels downright badly compared to how most in the west see it. Read sharia law sometime if you don't understand this reality. Better yet, read this:

On this end, yes, I think he has a good point on the treatment of woman/he thought this is why the woman was so silent and only the man talked. Usually when parents lose a son/showcase it all on a political event, both parents usually say something if they are standing up there and he thought that was a bit odd and questioned it "maybe" wasn't an allowed thing, ie sharia law. If it were me, would I have commented on it the way trump did? No. But that's me. Then again, I don't have a politician type mind/trumps directness and 99.9% what politicians do, I would never do as it's a sleazy game played by sleazy people.

Well, on this topic, clinton did something very sleazy to her/lied to her according to this mom who lost her son:

Since you know when to keep your mouth shut and can respond thoughtfully to questions, I'd vote for you over Trump any day.

Let's assume HC lied to that mom, even though it's hearsay. Lying is bad and she should not have done it. But if the mom made remarks about Trump like she did about HC, Trump would have responded in a personal, petty, hateful way. You know it's true. HC has not maligned that grieving mother even though the mother has made serious accusations against her. She kept her mouth shut, which is all anyone wants Trump to do.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:15 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,524,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

As for what I thought of what trump said? The part about making sacrifices for his business and such? Sure, running a big business takes lots of sacrifice to do it right, but I didn't quite understand the connection he was making in regards to the khans/said he didn't say it so I have no idea/am confused about it all. He said the media took him out of context/who know/that's just not an important element here.

On the other part of it, which I think is the big part of it that some people are getting worked up over:

And in my earlier post, here's what I think he was trying to imply/dancing around it a bit:

On this end, yes, I think he has a good point on the treatment of woman/he thought this is why the woman was so silent and only the man talked. Usually when parents lose a son/showcase it all on a political event, both parents usually say something if they are standing up there and he thought that was a bit odd and questioned it "maybe" wasn't an allowed thing, ie sharia law. If it were me, would I have commented on it the way trump did? No. But that's me. Then again, I don't have a politician type mind/trumps directness and 99.9% what politicians do, I would never do as I think it's largely a sleazy game played by sleazy people.

Well, on this topic, clinton did something very sleazy to her/lied to her at her son's funeral according to this mom who lost her son:

I don't know why this mother would lie about such a thing but I wasn't there. I will say nothing a politician does in their pursuit of power above all else would surprise me.

So basically you are painting someone into a box based on your vast knowledge of "Sharia Law".

Gotcha.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,421,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
And you can talk till blue in the face, and it won't change the fact that Khan used his Sons dead Body to beat Trump on the head because he didn't like what Trump has been saying. It was stupid, and showed utter disrespect for his own Son as a " Ticket" to get on stage for his own selfish reasons. That's fact.
Wait, what?

You are saying the Khans don't have a right to voice their opinion re. their son's death if it's political in nature?

There is NOTHING wrong with politicizing things. This is POLITICS. This is an election. I would certainly HOPE that everything said in a POLITICAL convention has some basis in politics.

It would actually be nice, for once, if Trump politicized issues. That would be very refreshing change. Instead of just spouting out nonsense; maybe have a rational thought based in public policy, rather than respond to a political question with "I'd like to kick that guy in the head!".

Old 07-30-2016, 11:22 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,704,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So basically you are painting someone into a box based on your vast knowledge of "Sharia Law".

Gotcha.
It's actually more about Trump subtly pointing out the cultural differences and vilifying the entire Islamic family structure. More like "Look! These people are nothing like us".

Old 07-30-2016, 11:25 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,421,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's actually more about Trump subtly pointing out the cultural differences and vilifying the entire Islamic family structure. More like "Look! These people are nothing like us".
Trump has never done anything "subtle". He trashed the mother of a dead American soldier.

You're right, "those people" are nothing like Trump. They're decent Americans, who understand what makes America great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections