Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,997,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." - Mahatma Ghandi

I'm just going to leave this right here
The actual quote is this:

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:29 PM

15,699 posts, read 10,494,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I get the sense that many Trump supporters really don't care if people are Muslim, Mexican, black, female, LGBT, etc. and that cries of racism are a smokescreen for invalid reasons to oppose Trump. Obviously there are many Trump supporters that do care, and Trump obviously cares himself. But is this something you've noticed as well?
I don't think Trump is a racist, although the media and Hillary often misquote his words to portray him that way.

As a Jewish woman with Jewish children, I wouldn't support a racist or bigot for president. I will vote for Trump.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:04 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,058,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The actual quote is this:

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.'

He actually never said that either. At least it can never be found in any speech that he gave.

Our society must make it right and possible for old people not to fear the young or be deserted by them, for the test of a civilization is the way that it cares for its helpless members.

Pearl Buck, My Several Worlds: A Personal Record (1954)
A related quote is “A civilization is measured by how it treats its weakest members” or “The greatness of a nation can be judged by how it treats its weakest member” often attributed to Mahatma Gandhi. However, Gandhi never said or wrote those words. There is a related quote where Gandhi is speaking about cruelty to animals: “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated. I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.” The source of the quote is supposedly a speech given by Gandhi in 1931; but according to quotation sleuth Ralph Keyes, the words cannot be found in that speech. Nevertheless, this quote is often cited by animal rights organizations and advocates.
Speaking at the Hubert Humphrey Building dedication in Washington, D.C. on November 1, 1977, former U.S. Vice President (1965-69) Hubert Humphrey spoke about the treatment of the weakest members of society as a reflection of a government: “the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped.”

https://atkinsbookshelf.wordpress.co...misquotations/

Old 08-03-2016, 02:29 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,089,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
True.

Never said Trump is ideal. Do not like him at all. I was responding to the OPs question then commenting on your responses to mine.

Insult? Well, my apologizes if I insulted yours. Not meant to. I read a great deal and find history violent and unforgiving. Moreso the further back one reads.
Yeah, my question was less about Trump himself, and more about some of his supporters. I personally think that Trump has made enough bigoted statements to not represent what the United States is about, and I absolutely do not want Trump for president for a myriad of reasons. That being said, I'm observing that many people who are supporting Trump don't really share in having bigoted views, and wondering if anybody else had seen that.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:52 AM

29,023 posts, read 30,470,996 times
Trump is not a racist, and neither am I...just b/c you want to see our country follow already existing laws on the books, doesn't mean your a racist.

Just b/c you don't agree with a black leader does, doesn't mean your a racist

Just b/c you know, Muslims are breeding specifically to take over the world, and you want them vetted and thoroughly checked out, before they come into this country, doesn't mean your a racist.

Just b/c you want to see America make more of it's products here in our own home country, doesn't mean your a racist.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 AM

29,901 posts, read 14,949,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Muslim isn't a race... it's a religion. Mexican isn't a race...it's a Nationality. Female isn't a race... it's a sex. LGBT isn't a race.. it's a sexual preference. So when a liberal calls me a racist because of one of those four out of five, I chalk it up that instead of an invalid reason, it's I'm talking to an idiot.

And I'm not really a Trump supporter as much as I am a Hillary hater......

Classic ! I feel the same. Although I do support Trump for his stance on many topics. Now does he come across as a spoiled 6 year old ...yes.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 AM

63,503 posts, read 29,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Trump is not a racist, and neither am I...just b/c you want to see our country follow already existing laws on the books, doesn't mean your a racist.

Just b/c you don't agree with a black leader does, doesn't mean your a racist

Just b/c you know, Muslims are breeding specifically to take over the world, and you want them vetted and thoroughly checked out, before they come into this country, doesn't mean your a racist.

Just b/c you want to see America make more of it's products here in our own home country, doesn't mean your a racist.

Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections