Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:27 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times

Advertisements

The former Congressman from Minnesota says he will not vote for Trump, nor remain a Republican if Trump is elected. This is becoming vortually an orchestrated, prominent Republican defection a day farce.

Quote:
Vin Weber, a key early lieutenant in the Newt Gingrich revolution that transformed the U.S. House of Representatives and the GOP, rejected the candidacy of Donald Trump on Wednesday as "a mistake of historic proportions" for his party.

"I won't vote for Trump," said Weber, who represented Minnesota in the House for 12 years beginning in the Reagan era. "I can't imagine I'd remain a Republican if he is elected."

Blasting what he called Trump's "protectionism" on trade, Weber said "the world political order, the world economic order and the Republican Party" would be "all in shambles" if the freshly crowned GOP nominee were to become president. "I think markets would collapse," he said in a telephone interview, adding that turbulence internationally could result in violent conflict.
"I don't know how the Republican Party survives if Trump becomes president," he said.

Weber cautioned, however, that even the patience of Trump loyalists has its limits as the candidate refuses to apologize for criticizing the family of a fallen Muslim soldier or declines to endorse Ryan in his primary election next week.
"I don't believe Paul Manafort will go down with this ship," he said. "He is not the sort to take a bullet for Donald Trump."
Even Trump himself may not have the stomach for continued bad times in his campaign, Weber added. He said he had no inside information to this effect, but speculated that Trump might at some point withdraw from the presidential race before the election.
Former top Gingrich ally calls Trump nom 'mistake of historic proportions'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Who? Never heard of him

Old 08-03-2016, 11:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
he's a wise man, an American hero and Patriot...more are certain to rally around his beacon of enlightenment

Old 08-03-2016, 11:25 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Obama was the mistake of historic proportions.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Trump is a raving lunatic of epic proportions.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:31 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,793 times
I disagree. After Trump loses, the HBO movie of this campaign will be a must see. He will also likely do severe damage to the party. There will be a choice: stay with angry white rhetoric or become more inclusive. That's a win, win.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Look...

A handful of prominent Pubs may go ahead and vote for Hillary. It won't change a thing. A small % of GOP women will vote for her, too. Not enough to make any difference. But it's possible that LOTS of Pubs may just not vote for prez, leaving that spot on the ballot blank while they vote for Pubs downballot. Others may well vote for Johnson.

Hillary will win in November. All that remains to be seen is by how large a margin. Drumpf could still end up being close, losing by 2 - 3%. Three months is a long time in a political campaign. A lot can and will happen between now and election day.

A lot of it will be very amusing.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:33 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
Quote:
Obama was elected twice, and at this late stage in his Presidency is above average in the polls compared to other Presidents.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:37 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,960,510 times
I was going to vote 3rd party until I saw in the last RCP average that it is a dead heat in Georgia, 46% to 46%. If Georgia is in play, you know the Republican is an asshat. I'm going to hold my nose and vote for Clinton. I may ask the poll worker if my ballot comes with a barf bag.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:43 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
That was a deflection of not so historic proportions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections