Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 04:57 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,636,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LAWL.

Democrats think they have a chance of winning Florida these days.
Why not?
It's not like my state is a RED one.
Remember that Florida was the only Southern state besides Virginia that elected President Obama twice.

2008 :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ge2008.svg.png

2012 :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ge2012.svg.png

Registered Voters as of 2018 in Florida :

Party | Number of Voters | Percentage

Democratic | 4,815,369 | 37.28%
Republican | 4,556,401 | 35.27%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida#Elections_history

Florida has 250,000+ more registered Democrats than Republicans.

In a state that casted 9.1 million votes for president in 2016 Trump won by only 114,000 more votes over Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Why not?
It's not like my state is a RED one.
Remember that Florida was the only Southern state besides Virginia that elected President Obama twice.

2008 :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ge2008.svg.png

2012 :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ge2012.svg.png

Registered Voters as of 2018 in Florida :

Party | Number of Voters | Percentage

Democratic | 4,815,369 | 37.28%
Republican | 4,556,401 | 35.27%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida#Elections_history

Florida has 250,000+ more registered Democrats than Republicans.

In a state that casted 9.1 million votes for president in 2016 Trump won by only 114,000 more votes over Hillary.
Dems certainly can win FL. I don't know if I see them winning the state in 2020, though. Let's remember that Obama was able to win FL, in part, due to large, increased turnout among blacks and Hispanics that his candidacy brought about. I'm not confident that any of these other Democrats rumored to be considering throwing their hats in the ring can do the same in a manner to counter Trump's base. We'll see, though.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:50 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I can hazard a guess that those numbers have declined since election day.

As for no states making a difference well you seem to have forgotten FL. Trump won FL with 49% to Hillary's 47.8%. He's got 2+ more years of successes to ensure his re-election - that is if he is not impeached before then.
Many Puerto Ricans live in central Florida (e.g. the I-4 corridor). Quite a few (or a lot) of them have fled their fair island in the wake of Hurricane Maria and the abysmal manner in which the Trump Administration has handled the relief effort, or they have family and friends who have experiened that. I'd think they wouldn't be too favorably disposed to Mr. Trump.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:48 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Many Puerto Ricans live in central Florida (e.g. the I-4 corridor). Quite a few (or a lot) of them have fled their fair island in the wake of Hurricane Maria and the abysmal manner in which the Trump Administration has handled the relief effort, or they have family and friends who have experiened that. I'd think they wouldn't be too favorably disposed to Mr. Trump.
I think you're referring to the terrible job that the mayor of San Juan did, who politicized things so much (she was an avid Clinton supporter who loved to bash our president) that she canceled the contract of one of the few companies actually willing and able to do work to get electricity back up and running on that island.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,224,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Dems certainly can win FL. I don't know if I see them winning the state in 2020, though. Let's remember that Obama was able to win FL, in part, due to large, increased turnout among blacks and Hispanics that his candidacy brought about. I'm not confident that any of these other Democrats rumored to be considering throwing their hats in the ring can do the same in a manner to counter Trump's base. We'll see, though.
The wrinkle on that is that minority voters could be a higher population of the voting pool. The only thing countering that would be mass migration of white to Florida- which is also an on going trend. So if Hispanics/blacks/Asians vote a 5% lower rate but gained an additional couple of percentage points of the electorate it could be a wash.

The big issue with Florida is generally that it is one of the most changing states with people constantly moving in and out. Its not as easy to read the tea leaves when you cannot be sure of the blend.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,705,227 times
In my opinion, Trump won in states like FL because people took a flyer on him. "Hey, give the guy a chance." I speculate that when you have that mentality and you couple it with many Democratic supporters likely staying home on election day due to their disgust with Clinton - it led to Trump eking out a 114K win. A win is a win, but I think he'll need a lot of help to win there again.

Who knows, we were surprised once. That doesn't mean it can't happen again though. But I don't know if lightning will strike twice.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
In my opinion, Trump won in states like FL because people took a flyer on him. "Hey, give the guy a chance." I speculate that when you have that mentality and you couple it with many Democratic supporters likely staying home on election day due to their disgust with Clinton - it led to Trump eking out a 114K win. A win is a win, but I think he'll need a lot of help to win there again.

Who knows, we were surprised once. That doesn't mean it can't happen again though. But I don't know if lightning will strike twice.
I've seen lightning strike twice in the same spot, but not in a row.

40 years ago, the Democrats had their own lightning bolt. Jimmy Carter.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:08 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,426,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

The only way the Ds lose in 2020 is to put up an absolutely terrible candidate, even worse than the old hag.

Most people were disgusted with Trump in 2016 and even more will be next time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections