Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:40 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,060,242 times

Advertisements

Clintons middle class tax pledge splits the Democrats
Quote:
Among the various policy ideas and position papers put out by Hillary Clinton so far in the Democratic primary, one stands out for its bumper-sticker simplicity: If your family makes less than $250,000 a year, your taxes won’t go up.
Clinton wrongly says she was only one in primaries to nix middle-class tax hikes | PolitiFact Virginia

Quote:
" ... But I’ll tell you this," she added. "I am the only candidate who ran in either primary who said, ‘I will not raise taxes on the middle class.’ And I mean that, and I won’t do it."

Clinton began making that promise last fall, saying she would not raise taxes on those earning less than $250,000 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:55 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Me too. I am for cutting spending, raising taxes, raising the age for Social Security retirement (I am 61; I do not mind if they raise my age to 68 immediately), and doing whatever it takes to bring down our nations debt.

Isn't that crazy to think about the national debt?

Now, Hillary Clinton has not offered a solution, beyond saying that said debt is bad.

However, Donald Trump did offer a solution: if the economy crashes, simply renegotiate the debt to make the holders of said debt accept less money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/us...less.html?_r=0

So! Hillary has no solution, and Donald has a crazy solution. I shall vote for the sane one.

Of course, I am one of those crazy people that thought that, when we began two military actions in the early 2000s, we should have raised revenue to pay for such military actions.

But, we didn't. It is like a Dickens' character (Sam Weller) said in Pickwick Papers:

”It’s over, and can’t be helped, and that’s one consolation, as they alway say in Turkey, ven they cuts the wrong man’s head off.”
A drop in the bucket to reduce your quality of life when there are larger ticket items that should be addressed with a greater impact, and you take the quality of life option?

What about defense spending? Foreign aid? Tax loopholes?

You let that slide to raise your own taxes while simultaneously reducing your benefits? Why don't we start big first?

I'm in awe that some people are so willing to shoulder a burden they didn't create for HRC?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:50 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Cons in shock that a politician would actually admit what they'll do instead of doing it while no one's looking.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
What is this I keep hearing about 45% not paying taxes??

As someone who owed $3,000 even after claiming 0, I don't see how this is possible. And yes, I'd consider myself middle class, at least by San Francisco standards.
half of the nation pays zero. its why you owe $3,000, you are paying everyone elses "fair share"..

In fact, many actually get $3,000 back, after paying zero.. meaning the government PAYS THEM..

and the number keeps growing larger..

Old 08-04-2016, 10:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Hillary on taxes is more monkey see monkey do. She just mimics what the current administration wants to do.

Dragging out the 1%ers to help explain her position to the country is going to backfire. First, Warren Buffoon is now open to public scrutiny, like HIS business dealings and HIS taxes.

Now why hasn't her new wealthy billionaire seen fit to help improve the human condition?

With all Warren Buffoons wealth he could fund all the BLM demands.
His companies owe over a billion dollars in taxes..

Old 10-15-2016, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 400 times
Lib lemmings will never acknowledge the multitude of treasonous actions of Hillary, nor the countless times she has testified to being 'unaware', or 'having no knowledge', or 'unable to recall', or 'made a mistake and would do differently in the future.' They scream outrage at obvious facetious comments by Trump, and supposedly impartial(yeah, right) moderators crucify him, and try to intimate that his sexist remarks are criminal, 11 years after they were said. Hillary, who SWEARS that she sent NO classified material over her private, unsecured server (apparently unaware that ALL communications by high level government officials are subject to scrutiny), wants everyone to believe that out of 150,000 emails, not ONE was government business. I would like to ask Hillary, when she DID send classified material, WHAT server DID she use for the classified docs? I defy ANYONE to show me any other server Hillary used for ANY purpose, let alone classified email! But she claimed, to the FBI no less, that she did NOTHING wrong at any time. I haven't even mentioned the influence selling, the statements she made and claimed she didn't, OR the way she tries to make Trump be responsible for government acts, WHEN HE WAS A PRIVATE CITIZEN at the time. She swore an oath to uphold and support the constitution, and never has done so. The above is my OPINION.

Last edited by CitizenG; 10-15-2016 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: no claim of fact. opinion only.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:41 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,124,984 times
Have you ever heard of this thing called Congress? If the GOP retains the House, then tax raises are absolutely impossible since GOP politicians would not dare cross Grover Nordquist. So no worries, no faux outrage.

Mick

Old 10-15-2016, 11:21 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
A drop in the bucket to reduce your quality of life when there are larger ticket items that should be addressed with a greater impact, and you take the quality of life option?

What about defense spending? Foreign aid? Tax loopholes?

You let that slide to raise your own taxes while simultaneously reducing your benefits? Why don't we start big first?

I'm in awe that some people are so willing to shoulder a burden they didn't create for HRC?
I have frequently said that we should reduce defense spending (or, at the least, not keep increasing it). I am also for limiting some disability payments (I work in that field). I have not addressed foreign aid, since it is not that much, relatively. I also do not mind closing some of these tax loopholes that seem to favor the very wealthy.

Anyway, I did not feel it necessary to address all such in this thread that addressed raising income taxes to help reduce the national debt. I doubt that my paying more would reduce my quality of life.

It is an odd statement: "I'm in awe that some people are so willing to shoulder a burden they didn't create for HRC".

This 'burden' has been around for quite a while, now, and it shall extend past any presidency (whether four or eight years) of Ms. Clinton. I guess that I am unwilling that the debt continue to grow and materially harm future generations. We keep kicking the can down the road, as the old saying is.

Anyway, many people in this world shoulder burdens that they did not create. Often time they are called 'heroes'. I think, for instance, of our millions of men (and, later, women) that marched off to wars that they certainly did not create, to fight for our country (thinking mainly of WWII; I had a problem with Vietnam).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections