Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,815,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Because the Libertarians have the definitive, detailed answer to solving the Middle East problem and defeating ISIS? Link, please?
Libertarians have always had a consistent non-interventionist foreign policy because they were smart enough to know what happens when you meddle in the affairs of other countries. Bush didn't know the difference between a Shia and a Sunni, but he knew he wanted to be our 'war president'.

Dr Ron Paul said to stay out of Iraq - did anyone listen? People said he was a 'kook' - why because he didn't want to see the resultant mass slaughter of Christians, Yazidis and Muslims? Maybe it's time for America to realize what the 'establishment' candidates have wrought in terms of the economy and loss of lives has been nothing short of reprehensible.

Dr Paul - 'For more than a thousand years there has been a doctrine and Christian definition of what a just war is all about. I think this effort and this plan to go to war comes up short of that doctrine. First, it says that there has to be an act of aggression; and there has not been an act of aggression against the United States. We are 6,000 miles from their shores.

Also, it says that all efforts at negotiations must be exhausted. I do not believe that is the case. It seems to me like the opposition, the enemy, right now is begging for more negotiations.

Also, the Christian doctrine says that the proper authority must be responsible for initiating the war. I do not believe that proper authority can be transferred to the President nor to the United Nations'

here's your link...
http://www.antiwar.com/paul/paul51.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 06:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,530,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Not true, Trump is just that bad. I have voted for a Republican in every presidential election since 2000. I can't stand Hillary Clinton, but I'll take a rational criminal over an irrational madman.

I would love to see Georgia turn blue in this election just for the amount of embarrassment it would cause Donald J. Trump.
He's already preempted that embarrassment by claiming if he loses, it's rigged.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
He's already preempted that embarrassment by claiming if he loses, it's rigged.
It's not like people will be able to doubt him now like they did Sanders.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,530,556 times
Unfortunately, or fortunately, Johnson and Well are up against two controversial personalities. That keeps them both out of the headlines, probably most people don't even know about the LP, let alone the two candidates. They have to start upping their game, get the message out, build a ground force, or they will get buried by the impending drama to come until election day. They have an opportunity here, to make a statement for the LP, and let the people know there are alternatives to democrats or republicans, and that there are candidate running for senators, representatives, and governors.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,302,229 times
All it takes is for them to get 15% percent to enter the debates. But IMO, Weld should have been the presidential nominee. He'd make Trump and Hillary look like fools in the debate as he's an articulate guy with a wealth of experience.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
All it takes is for them to get 15% percent to enter the debates. But IMO, Weld should have been the presidential nominee. He'd make Trump and Hillary look like fools in the debate as he's an articulate guy with a wealth of experience.
I agree that Weld alone makes the Libertarian ticket worth voting for. If they manage to poll at least 15%, Weld would be included in the VP debates right? I can envision him smearing Pence and Kaine all over the mat.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,815,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Unfortunately, or fortunately, Johnson and Well are up against two controversial personalities. That keeps them both out of the headlines, probably most people don't even know about the LP, let alone the two candidates. They have to start upping their game, get the message out, build a ground force, or they will get buried by the impending drama to come until election day. They have an opportunity here, to make a statement for the LP, and let the people know there are alternatives to democrats or republicans, and that there are candidate running for senators, representatives, and governors.
I think it's 'fortunately' because Trump and Hillary's publicity usually casts them in a bad light. This looks like a classic 'tortise and hare' scenario.

The media is more open than they normally would be to 'alternative' candidates, because Trump is about as 'off the wall' as you get. Johnson and Weld, are actually more 'establishment' than Trump is. Look at all of the Republican defections to Hillary - in what 'alternative' universe does that normally occur? I especially am impressed with Weld, but both are preferrable to 'hasn't got a clue' Trump or war-monger Hillary.

The CNN town hall is just the start.

CNN to host town hall with Libertarian ticket - CNNPolitics.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections