Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 01:13 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,654,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
(shakes head)

Gee, I'm lucky I grew up in Boston and Cambridge where all the uneducated, ignoramuses reside. Sure, so that's why Trump should be the next President.
Tell you what. Take a course in Cambridge about political corruption. It's what your candidate is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:24 PM

25,779 posts, read 17,544,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm old and will likely be dead by the time a 3rd party is relevant. Leaves me to wonder, what happens when it is?

The Constitution requires that a presidential candidate receive a majority of the electoral vote. Amending the Constitution is a tedious and drawn out process that will likely take a couple of decades.
So in the interim if there are 3 major parties and no majority, the Presidential election will be decided by Congress. Is that really what everyone wants to happen? Thank God I'll be dead if it comes to that..

Disclosure: I've never voted 3rd party in a major election because I didn't want to throw away my vote but I did donate money to both Perot and Johnson.
Yes, because then Hillary would lose. Johnson would probably win.

The presidency will be decided by The House. Each state gets one vote, and the painful truth is, Hillary just won't carry enough states to win. In other words, Hillary won't carry 26 states. She won't even be close. Only the top 3 vote-getters are considered.

I hope support for Trump will evaporate. But if it doesn't, and there is still an impasse on Jan 20th, then The Speaker will serve as interim president.

The VP will be chosen by The Senate, with each senator getting 1 vote. Only the top 2 vote-getters are considered.

PS: I really hope you don't die before Jan 20th. I know you said you are older than dirt, but the world is a better place with you than without you.
Placing a third party in The White House for 8 years may have the greatly beneficial effect of healing the rift between the 2 parties. You're gonna want to see this!

Old 08-04-2016, 01:26 PM

68,397 posts, read 54,685,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I have heard more OPEN MINDED and out of the box thinking from these 2 (Johnson and Weld) tonight than I have from either of the other 2 candidates.

We really need a MAJOR 3rd party!

The (D)s and (R)s would fight that far more vehemently than they fight each other.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,012,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Placing a third party in The White House for 8 years may have the greatly beneficial effect of healing the rift between the 2 parties. You're gonna want to see this!
I wish this were true, but it isn't realistic and IMHO not worth taking the risk.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/04/upshot/can-gary-johnson-the-libertarian-nominee-swing-the-election.html?_r=0[/url]

"Third-party candidacies have a history of fading. Since 1968, all of the major third-party candidates have seen their polling averages decline closer to the election. The problem is that voting for a third party is often viewed as a wasted vote, which more people accept as Election Day draws near."

Old 08-04-2016, 03:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The (D)s and (R)s would fight that far more vehemently than they fight each other.
no doubt!

Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,891,679 times
justNancy it says your location is on the edge of sanity... I think you fell over the edge.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:24 PM

9,920 posts, read 7,788,229 times
Friend and a family member have joined the dark side. Voting Johnson and Weld!!!

I am from an all Blue State that oddly had a lot of people favoring Trump, but now a lot of Trump supporters are switching to Johnson. Think our State will still be Blue by the end of it though.

Hoping Johnson can win Alaska, New Mexico, Maine, New Hampshire, Utah, Colorado, and Pennsylvania.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:29 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,654,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Friend and a family member have joined the dark side. Voting Johnson and Weld!!!

I am from an all Blue State that oddly had a lot of people favoring Trump, but now a lot of Trump supporters are switching to Johnson. Think our State will still be Blue by the end of it though.

Hoping Johnson can win Alaska, New Mexico, Maine, New Hampshire, Utah, Colorado, and Pennsylvania.
Hopefully more and more people will RepExit and DemExit. Time for something new. It's gone too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections