Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:48 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,553,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
With the margin of error being +/-4.4 with 95% confidence rate, 6 points isn't all that impressive. It seems like the polls are increasing the margin or error.

It is a very small poll: 194 Dems, 183 Reps, 114 Indeps, 2 Other and 7 Refused.

And, the 6 point lead is when only 2 candidates are the choice, but as we know, there will be more than 2. In the 4 way race, Clinton gets 43% and Trump gets 39%, a drop to 4 points. Gosh, and we did have that margin of error of +/- 4.4.

This article breaks the numbers down: Suffolk University Poll Shows Clinton Leading Trump by 6 Points in Florida - Suffolk University
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/...-forecast/#now

Old 08-04-2016, 01:27 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,306,729 times
It would be interesting to see the splits in the Hispanic vote between voting for Hillary and Rubio. The biggest takeaway I have on the Senate race is that Murphy is tanking. What was a winnable race without Rubio is now a lost cause with him in the race. Not sure whether it's pro-Rubio or something very negative has happened to the Murphy campaign.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:39 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,073,379 times
At this point taken at face value, the polls show the Republicans retaining the Senate, losing only Russ Johnson's Wisconsin Senate seat. Things can change and will. It does seem to underscore that a less 'unfavorable' presidential candidate might well have swung the presidency to the Republican's this year.

Long way to go. Both the Senate races and residential race might change.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:45 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,298,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Interesting indeed. It does appear that Senator Rubio was not harmed by his presidential run.

Here is a suggestion to the moderators (not directed at you, OP, by any means).

We have fifty states, and three months to go until election. These threads may become unwieldy, especially if a new topic is begun for each new poll.

May I suggest two 'sticky' threads: one for those polls indicating that Mr. Trump is leading (national and state) and one for Ms. Clinton?

Or, perhaps, a thread devoted to traditionally 'red' states, and another for 'blue' states?

I'm sure that wiser minds than mine could come up with something.
We used to have one but it seems to have been taken away for some reason.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:14 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,615,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
At this point taken at face value, the polls show the Republicans retaining the Senate, losing only Russ Johnson's Wisconsin Senate seat. Things can change and will. It does seem to underscore that a less 'unfavorable' presidential candidate might well have swung the presidency to the Republican's this year.

Long way to go. Both the Senate races and residential race might change.
If you really want to know where each party thinks they can win then you look at ad buys by the national senate committees.

Dems are only buying in one state they are defending and that is Nevada. Which their internal polling tells them everything else is safe.

Republicans are not buying ads in Illinois or Wisconsin, so the NRC thinks they are going to loose those two races.

The NRC is also having to buy ad time in several races they didn't think were going to be competitive. Missouri, Iowa, Arizona, & North Carolina.

A lot of articles are out in the past couple days about Trump costing the Republicans the senate and possibly the house because a % of people will not come out and vote for a guy who is going to loose. So a close race within 2 points could swing to the democrats.

New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Ohio, and Florida, plus Nevada.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,510,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
... on the Senate race is that Murphy is tanking.

Not sure whether it's pro-Rubio or something very negative has happened to the Murphy campaign.
About Murphy: The Democratic primary is late August. Murphy's opponent in the D primary did major mudslinging against Murphy. Although Murphy is still likely to win the D primary, he got tarnished a bit from the ads. Also Beruff, the R running against Rubio has done mudslinging against Murphy on the same issue(with help from the governor - it's related to an email announcment). Still there are lots of people in FL that never heard of Murphy. Now some of them only heard the mudslinging ads.

Link to the mudslinging issue:
http://www.politico.com/states/flori...e-bloom-103813
Since the primary isn't over yet, the DNC hasn't yet spent any money on behalf of Murphy. They will need to wait until he is the candidate for the Democrats first.

I hope Murphy wins. I am voting for him. Rubio never cared about Floridians even when in-office. He always was a career ladder climber and in the pocket of his major contributors. Now he's got name recognition over all the others running for his senate seat. Too bad if he wins because he will again be a ladder climber and will ignore Floridians.

Florida re-elected R Rick Scott for governor even when he had terrible approval ratings for his first term. I think he was the worst rated governor (approval ratings) of all 50 states for a long time and he was re-elected.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
About Murphy: The Democratic primary is late August. Murphy's opponent in the D primary did major mudslinging against Murphy. Although Murphy is still likely to win the D primary, he got tarnished a bit from the ads. Also Beruff, the R running against Rubio has done mudslinging against Murphy(with help from the governor - it's related to an email announcent). Still there are lots of people in FL that never heard of Murphy. Now some of them only heard the mudslinging ads.

Since the primary isn't over yet, the DNC hasn't yet spent any money on behalf of Murphy. They will need to wait until he is the candidate for the Democrats first.

I hope Murphy wins. I am voting for him. Rubio never cared about Floridians even when in-office. He always was a career ladder climber and in the pocket of his major contributors. Now he's got name recognition over all the others running for his senate seat. Too bad if he wins because he will again be a ladder climber and will ignore Floridians.

Florida re-elected R Rick Scott for governor even when he had terrible approval ratings for his first term. I think he was the worst rated governor (approval ratings) of all 50 states for a long time and he was re-elected.
Thanks for the Florida insight, sware.

From the Cod reference, I thought you might be from Massachusetts, "the home of the bean and the cod, where the Lodges only speak to the Lowells, and the Lowells only speak to God", or something like that.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
About Murphy: The Democratic primary is late August. Murphy's opponent in the D primary did major mudslinging against Murphy. Although Murphy is still likely to win the D primary, he got tarnished a bit from the ads. Also Beruff, the R running against Rubio has done mudslinging against Murphy on the same issue(with help from the governor - it's related to an email announcment). Still there are lots of people in FL that never heard of Murphy. Now some of them only heard the mudslinging ads.

Link to the mudslinging issue:
Murphy: Emails about algae center delay are misleading

As for lousy or crazy politicians, in my state we have The Turtle, Randy and bug eyed Matt Bevin, so we have our crosses to bear too.

I picked the emoticon closest to "The Scream". Somehow it seemed appropriate.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:01 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,977,057 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to see the splits in the Hispanic vote between voting for Hillary and Rubio. The biggest takeaway I have on the Senate race is that Murphy is tanking. What was a winnable race without Rubio is now a lost cause with him in the race. Not sure whether it's pro-Rubio or something very negative has happened to the Murphy campaign.
Murphy was a hard-core Republican who donated millions to conservative causes before switching parties to run for Congress as a Democrat though. His well-heeled father then donated a few hundred thousand to the DNC for extra goodwill. In Congress, Murphy has continued his groveling to Wall Street.

The only guy with any care for the 99% in that race is Alan Grayson of course, and he is getting viciously attacked to prevent him from becoming a fighter for the 99% in the Senate. The latest is that he is a wife beater. Who knows what other dirt they will throw at him to ensure the donor class can continue to laugh at the 99%.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the Florida insight, sware.

From the Cod reference, I thought you might be from Massachusetts, "the home of the bean and the cod, where the Lodges only speak to the Lowells, and the Lowells only speak to God", or something like that.
Correction

- "And this is good old Boston, The home of the bean and the cod, Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots, And the Cabots talk only to God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections