Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:04 PM

25,792 posts, read 17,560,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Johnson is polling at an average of 8% right now. How exactly is he going to win any states at all? At best, he affects the percentages between Hillary and Donald, and to the extent that is happening, he seems to be taking away voters from Trump.
Obviously, he can't at 8%.

Fact is, nearly 50% of Hillary voters are actually voting against Trump.........And 50% of Trump voters are actually voting against Hillary. That fact is reflected in the huge disapproval/distrust numbers

That's a lot of middle ground. Johnson may be able to tap into it if he gets some major endorsements, and as we all know, there are plenty of people who have not endorsed anyone.

Most people believe the race is a 2 person race.
They may be surprised in weeks to come.

The latest poll, released by IDB/TIPP shows Johnson at 12%. He has to get to around 25%, I'd guess, to pull it all off, and he has to pull from both Hillary and Trump, AND he has to nail down some important states.
Perot got 19%, but didn't win any states.
If Hillary doesn't get 270 on The Big Night, she can never be president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 PM

32,321 posts, read 15,272,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
They will find a way to put that idiot Johnson in there. The polls can be rigged enough to get him in there to help Hillary out.
Why is Johnson an idiot. People are tired of the 2 party system

Old 08-06-2016, 05:35 AM

12,137 posts, read 6,663,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
They will find a way to put that idiot Johnson in there. The polls can be rigged enough to get him in there to help Hillary out.
Why does it help Hillary more than Trump?
I think Johnson/Weld would pull voters equally from both parties. They are more socially progressive, yet are conservative where it matters.

I hope they make it to the debates -- they are the only adults left now in this election.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
ONE poll, almost a month ago was 13. He's otherwise averaging 8, just half of what he needs to meet the threshold to get into the debates.
That's because they aren't getting enough exposure. I was ignoring and discounting them until I saw the recent CNN townhall, and was very impressed with them both. FOX seems to be ignoring them.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
If you polled the voting public and compared what America believes to what Gary Johnson is proposing, you would actually find that Hillary and Trump are fringe.
^^^THIS -- it's worth watching their interview and going to their website -- they are not what most people think.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:26 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,385,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Why does it help Hillary more than Trump?
I think Johnson/Weld would pull voters equally from both parties. They are more socially progressive, yet are conservative where it matters.

I hope they make it to the debates -- they are the only adults left now in this election.
You are right that Johnson/Weld will pull voters from both parties. If I had a dollar for posters that said they would vote {R} but don't over social issues I could pay off my house. The {R} party is in a tough spot because they always have to pander to the christian right which is major voting bloc for the party. They will never accept the hard cold reality that abortion and gay marriage are here to stay.

I think voters are also sick of the neo con war monger interventionist from both parties and want a new direction in foreign policy. I have decided to support Johnson/Weld even though I can not stand their views on immigration. There is no where for me to go since all the others running besides Trump are weak on immigration. If Johnson/Weld had a stronger stance on immigration which most Americans support from both parties they would really pull from Trump and could possibly win.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:30 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,385,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
That's because they aren't getting enough exposure. I was ignoring and discounting them until I saw the recent CNN townhall, and was very impressed with them both. FOX seems to be ignoring them.
Fox is the establishment {R} news net work and is not fair and balanced like they claim. It was obvious with their treatment of Ron Paul when he ran.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:20 AM

23,855 posts, read 13,861,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
You are right that Johnson/Weld will pull voters from both parties. If I had a dollar for posters that said they would vote {R} but don't over social issues I could pay off my house. The {R} party is in a tough spot because they always have to pander to the christian right which is major voting bloc for the party. They will never accept the hard cold reality that abortion and gay marriage are here to stay.

I think voters are also sick of the neo con war monger interventionist from both parties and want a new direction in foreign policy. I have decided to support Johnson/Weld even though I can not stand their views on immigration. There is no where for me to go since all the others running besides Trump are weak on immigration. If Johnson/Weld had a stronger stance on immigration which most Americans support from both parties they would really pull from Trump and could possibly win.
Classic libertarians are for completely open borders, because it fits their philosophy that 1) individuals should be constrained as little as possible and 2) a truly free market requires mobile labor to go where the jobs are.

I think most American Libertarians accept that some restrictions are politically necessary. But it's pretty hard to maintain that individuals should be as free as possible except when it comes to crossing arbitrary lines on the map.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:39 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Classic libertarians are for completely open borders, because it fits their philosophy that 1) individuals should be constrained as little as possible and 2) a truly free market requires mobile labor to go where the jobs are.

I think most American Libertarians accept that some restrictions are politically necessary. But it's pretty hard to maintain that individuals should be as free as possible except when it comes to crossing arbitrary lines on the map.
Libertarians have done a poor job marketing themselves. Just like anyone with political beliefs, most libertarians are not "pure" in their ideology. I've never met a libertarian who doesn't believe in border security, a basic welfare system, national security, public education, etc. There are people who believe in "pure" libertarianism, but they are incredibly rare and have no influence in politics.

Johnson has proposed cutting spending across the table by about 20%, that just takes us back to the 2000's spending levels. There is a LOT of wasteful spending that has little effect on the US and our economy.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Yes, immigration is where I disagree with Johnson/Weld.
They are somewhat vague on their website. Don't want a wall and want more work visas and
Better vetting. They don't mention sanctuary cities.

That's why I want them in the debates. Hopefully, they see the huge amount of voters that what stricter immigration policies, and at least will enforce our immigration laws on the books already which Obama and liberals have refused to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections