Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: To those voting for Gary Johnson...
Yes, Hillary can be President. I'm ok with it. 5 83.33%
Yes, Hillary can be President. I'm ok with it. 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 01:57 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,012,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Anyone who votes for Gary is voting for Hillary.
This is like telling me the sky is green and the earth is flat. Carry on though, as long as you believe it I don't want to wake you from your fairy tale.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:07 PM

3,920 posts, read 4,582,233 times
Ha ha cute...

The thing is when people always vote for "the lesser of two evils", and never vote FOR the candidate they actually want, then their voice is not actually heard.

True, the Libertarian party usually gets a very low vote, but how many votes that would possibly go to the Libertarians, end up going to the Pub or Dem party because they're voting "against"?

If there was ever a scenario where people actually voted Libertarian because they actually wanted to, maybe their numbers would go from 2% of the vote to maybe 6 or 7%. What if they get say 12% or more? Wouldn't at least their voices be heard and the major parties start taking notice? Wouldn't more of the public start taking notice? Would they perhaps start being taken more seriously therefore, get more inquiries and more support? Would the Libertarians in turn perhaps start getting better quality candidates leaving the jokers (like the guy who stripped at their convention) in the dust?

Disclaimer: This is just lil' ol' me, free associating my 2 cents. I like a lot of Libertarian ideas, although I'm not a registered Libertarian.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:07 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,236,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
What a screwed up poll you need to rethink the questions!
If it were a critique of the US election system, where you're given two options but also you're not given any options at all, I'd applaud him for creativity. But that's not what this was.

I believe in democracy and in my mind, this means you should vote for whomever you feel is the best candidate. Period. If you're someone who lines up with Gary Johnson, you should vote for Gary Johnson. It does not matter if doing so means X or Y will be president. Democracy, in order for it to work, requires us to have the ability to make mistakes. If we're voting based on avoiding a horrible candidate at the cost of just having a bad one, why bother with a democracy at all? What's the point of having a choice if we're pressured into not having a choice at all?

I frankly think Johnson is pretty appealing to a lot of liberals as well. Probably not many Bernie supporters, but those who dislike Clinton. And certainly conservatives who dislike Trump will prefer Johnson. And if voting on principles means we have to put up with Clinton, well, oh well. That's democracy. Deal with it.

How interesting though, is it, that many who are voting for Clinton are using this exact same argument except they're saying Trump is inevitable if you vote third party. Very curious, isn't it.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:09 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,914,353 times
Quote:
I am actually deciding between voting for Hillary or Gary!

On this forum, you might see more people voting Trump/Gary instead of Hillary/Gary, simply because C-D skews to the right.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:10 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,334,418 times
Quote:
Am I getting the point across ?

AWESOME!!! For they don't realize what they do....

Old 08-17-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Ha ha cute...

The thing is when people always vote for "the lesser of two evils", and never vote FOR the candidate they actually want, then their voice is not actually heard.

True, the Libertarian party usually gets a very low vote, but how many votes that would possibly go to the Libertarians, end up going to the Pub or Dem party because they're voting "against"?

If there was ever a scenario where people actually voted Libertarian because they actually wanted to, maybe their numbers would go from 2% of the vote to maybe 6 or 7%. What if they get say 12% or more? Wouldn't at least their voices be heard and the major parties start taking notice? Wouldn't more of the public start taking notice? Would they perhaps start being taken more seriously therefore, get more inquiries and more support? Would the Libertarians in turn perhaps start getting better quality candidates leaving the jokers (like the guy who stripped at their convention) in the dust?

Disclaimer: This is just lil' ol' me, free associating my 2 cents. I like a lot of Libertarian ideas, although I'm not a registered Libertarian.
This is the goal, even just 5% will qualify them to get matching Federal funds in 2020 which should help with a lot of the things you mentioned there.

I'm also not a registered Libertarian, just an independent that wants to start seeing the landscape change. This whole "lesser of two evils" just gives us worse and worse candidates each cycle.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
AWESOME!!! For they don't realize what they do....
OK, apparently you two know better than I do who I should vote for. Enlighten me and tell me who I should vote for.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:11 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,831,417 times
Quote:
I've got a deal for you. On November 9th, after Hillary wins, we'll take every vote for Johnson and give it to Trump.

If doing so would cause him to have won the election I will change my status to "Snowball7 was right, I was wrong." for the remainder of 2016.

If it would still result in Hillary winning, then you need to change yours to "I'm the definition of right wing nutjob."

Deal?

Old 08-17-2016, 02:19 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,719,984 times
Quote:
The, perhaps you might try making your argument that voting for johnson is the same as voting for clinton. It is not, but you can try to make the argument that it is.

Anyone who votes third party this time, is probably doing for the future. They are pretty sure that even if the third party won't win this time, but they are so entirely disgusted by the two major parties that they are not willing to vote major party at all. Any time a person follows their conscience in voting, they are winners, even if their candidate loses.

They may also be hoping that, even if their guy doesn't get elected, that this current election cycle will show people have a difference choice, and a lot of people will be turning to the third party in future elections. A third party may well emerge as a viable alternative to the fatally fractured republican party for the future.

Also, you may be surprised by this, but there are a whole lot of people who just can't stomach the idea of voting for trump. They don't want to vote for clinton, either, but they really, really, really don't want trump. If it turns out that the third party votes take the election away from trump, oh, well, bummer, I guess

Old 08-17-2016, 02:23 PM

25,730 posts, read 17,496,059 times
Quote:
I guess the point must be that you are a Trump supporter. And you are afraid that Johnson may divide the Trump vote and give the presidency to Hillary.

With nearly 50% negative votes in each camp - Trump and Hillary - there is lots of room for Johnson in the race.
55% of Trump voters say their vote is actually against Clinton.
50% of Clinton voters say their vote is actually against Trump.
That's YUGE!
U.S. voter general election preferences | Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections