Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I think most Trump fans are just happy that Hillary happens to be the anti-establishment opponent. She's probably the only chance that a candidate like Trump has to win.
Possibly, it would depend on who they were running though. I don't think it really matters in the end. I doubt either of them is going to be all to achieve much of anything really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
All I can say is I can't wait for the debates. I think that's the only chance Trump has of winning is if he slaughters her in the debates. Oh and wikileakes is releasing Hillary truth bombs in Oct. This is turning into a very interesting election...

Old 08-18-2016, 12:31 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
This is what we call "Cherry picking" Trump shouldn't be down to begin with. The fact that he can't seal the deal against Clinton shows how weak of a candidate he is.
Clinton is the second worst candidate in history to run, right behind Trump. Clinton is so terrible that the fact that Trump is sinking just shows how monumentally bad Trump is.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:38 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Did you miss the thread title? I said the last 5 polls. Nice strategy of taking away polls that don't suit your narrative.
The LA Times poll was heavily discussed in another thread. It is a very different kind of poll than the others. The thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...-poll-aug.html

...and here was my comment on that poll that directs you to the "most accurate reading of it" that shows Hillary up by +14%...

Well we all know that polls are wrong don't we? lol, just kidding, their actually pretty accurate if you know how to look at the data. The issue here is, you don't know what you're looking at.

http://graphics.latimes.com/usc-pres...oll-dashboard/

Quote:
How the USC/L.A. Times Daybreak tracking poll works
The USC Dornsife/L.A. Times Presidential Election "Daybreak" Poll asks more than 400 people each day about their voting intentions. The poll is part of the Understanding America Study (UAS) at the University of Southern California's Dornsife Center for Economic and Social Research.

Each day's poll respondents are a subset of the UAS election panel, roughly 3000 U.S. citizens who were randomly recruited from among all households in the United States. Respondents are asked three predictive questions: What is the percent chance that (1) you will vote in the presidential election? (2) you will vote for Clinton, Trump, or someone else? and (3) Clinton, Trump or someone else will win?

Results are weighted to match demographic characteristics, such as race and gender, from the U.S. Census Current Population Survey, and are aligned to the 2012 presidential election outcome using self-reported votes in that election.
You are correct that on the "Who would you vote for?" question, those polled have come to the split that you linked above. However, the poll is using this...

Quote:
Who would you vote for?
We ask voters what the chance is that they will vote for Trump, Clinton or someone else, using a 0-100 scale. The overall level of support for each candidate reflects the weighted average of those responses.
See, it's not a 1-person, 1-vote poll, but polls the "support level" for the candidate and that number is then modified based on prior demographic trends. One of the big issues is that demographic trends are shifting this election as educated whites, both male and female, flock to Clinton. You need to scroll down the page to this poll...

Quote:
Who do you think will win?
We ask voters who they expect to see win, regardless of which candidate they support. Over the years, asking voters their expectation about which candidate will win often has proved to predict elections more reliably than asking how they plan to vote. That’s particularly true when the election is still many weeks away.
Based on this view of the poll:

Hillary - 54.2%
Trump - 40.0%

That's a WHOPPING 14.2% spread for Hillary in the poll that has proven the most accurate.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:01 PM

148 posts, read 137,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
We are making the assumption Trump supporters understand the Electoral College. They don't.
I think the most interesting scenario would be Trump winning the popular vote while Clinton wins the Electoral College. I would love to see if the champions of all things patriotic and Constitutional, would try to change the beloved Constitution because they didn't get their way?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:08 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Did you miss the thread title? I said the last 5 polls. Nice strategy of taking away polls that don't suit your narrative.
All the words I've been reading from the Trump camp last week or so say the polls are made up anyway. But I guess they are only made up if they don't support Trump.

"You guys" really need to find a story you can stick with...

Old 08-18-2016, 01:11 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,339,730 times
4 point race? Where? She's won the last 23 polls in a row, 18 of which are 4+ point and outside of the MOE Stick a fork in Trump, he's done.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Trump vs. Clinton

Old 08-18-2016, 01:28 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times
Quote:

The 5 polls that you did not provide a link to? Those 5 polls?
I thought the **********s did not believe in polls, just rally size and tweeter counts.
Do you want to tell us what 5 polls you are referring to and why they are believable?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:37 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
The 5 polls that you did not provide a link to? Those 5 polls?
I thought the **********s did not believe in polls, just rally size and tweeter counts.
Do you want to tell us what 5 polls you are referring to and why they are believable?
I smell fear in your words.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:38 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Says who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections