Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 09:23 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Did you not read what NJGOAT posted about where the supplies and money actually went. It was for the people of LA, it was for members of ONE church. A church that preaches to as far to the right as one can go.
And that's a preview of what a Trump presidency would look like. Funds for fans of his only. Screw everyone else who needs help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And that's a preview of what a Trump presidency would look like. Funds for fans of his only. Screw everyone else who needs help.
We've had that for the last 8 years.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:18 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,377,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

As I understand it, most of those impacted by the flood chose not to have flood insurance.
you understand it wrong. the majority cannot get flood insurance post Katrina. the feds have made it near impossible

Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Exactly so! But let's not look at that as it doesn't fit the narrative of Trump is the DEVIL...

Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Did you not read what NJGOAT posted about where the supplies and money actually went. It was for the people of LA, it was for members of ONE church. A church that preaches to as far to the right as one can go.
Again, what did Hillary do for anyone? <taps foot while waiting>
Secondly, how do you or NJGOAT for that matter KNOW that those items would not make it outside the church members? You are aware that Churches (or Church based groups) are one of the leading providers of services in disasters right? Or do you think the Red Cross does it all?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Ah yes, here's more video where the governor says he spoke with the White House on when was a good time to visit. Nice short clip you decided to post. Here's a better one. Don't let facts get in the way. Louisiana Gov. Destroys GOP Faux Outrage Over Obama Not Going To Baton Rouge Sooner
Who cares what he says.

The stark reality is that Obama can't be bothered to step off the golf course to visit the flood victims. The Dem governor can carry Barry's water all he wants but it doesn't change the fact that Obama looks incredibly callous and unconcerned.

The optics of this are horrible for Obama.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I thought it was SOP that politicians and political candidates scratched the backs of those who scratched theirs? Of course Trump claimed he was above all of this...but apparently not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Again, what did Hillary do for anyone? <taps foot while waiting>
Secondly, how do you or NJGOAT for that matter KNOW that those items would not make it outside the church members? You are aware that Churches (or Church based groups) are one of the leading providers of services in disasters right? Or do you think the Red Cross does it all?
Hillary asked her supporters to donate money to the Red Cross relief fund and a Baton Rouge fund setup to help flood victims that was endorsed by the governor. She has said she will visit after primary relief efforts have ended.

This story has become very confusing, but the truth is that Governor Edwards told all of them to stay away. Trump's visit was made without the governor's knowledge and was coordinated completely through Perkins and his church. The governor has since stated he appreciated Trump bringing attention to the plight of residents, but that was it. Obama is do there tomorrow for an official visit coordinated with the governor and Clinton will be making a visit sometime after that.

According to the churches website, relief efforts are targeted at the entire community, but the community around the church contains a lot of the churches members as well. I'm sure some of the physical relief items will go to people not from the church. However, I doubt the $100k donated directly to the church will go anywhere that isn't directly affiliated with the church itself. #realist

I think it's just very important to point out that this was a very carefully staged and targeted trip, not to Louisiana in general, but to a very specific community with a very specific intent.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Did Trump donate those supplies? I'm hearing conflicting information (propaganda?).
I hope he did.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Did Trump donate those supplies? I'm hearing conflicting information (propaganda?).
I hope he did.
I addressed it in an earlier post. The conflicting information is that he did not make his donation to the general parish relief organization or to the flood victims fund setup by the governor. He donated the 18-wheeler of supplies and $100,000 to the Greenwell Baptist Church which is run by Tony Perkins who is also the head of the Family Research Council. The FRC is listed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as an extremist hate group for its militant anti-LGBT stance.

So, yes, he made a donation. Directly to a social conservative church/organization that was impacted by the flooding. The entire tour was actually setup by Tony Perkins and the governor had no fore-knowledge of his visit. From all accounts I have read, all of the people that Trump interacted with were selected members of the church. It was a completely staged event from beginning to end that targeted a social conservative group whose support Trump needs.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:32 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I addressed it in an earlier post. The conflicting information is that he did not make his donation to the general parish relief organization or to the flood victims fund setup by the governor. He donated the 18-wheeler of supplies and $100,000 to the Greenwell Baptist Church which is run by Tony Perkins who is also the head of the Family Research Council. The FRC is listed by the Southern Poverty Law Center as an extremist hate group for its militant anti-LGBT stance.

So, yes, he made a donation. Directly to a social conservative church/organization that was impacted by the flooding. The entire tour was actually setup by the Tony Perkins and from all accounts I have read, all of the people that Trump interacted with were selected members of the church.

OK. Because I had heard that he didn't actually donate the trailerload of supplies but was taking credit for it. That must have been some left wing BS.

So let's clear it up:

TRUMP DID DONATE AND PAY FOR THE TRUCKLOAD OF SUPPLIES INTENDED TO HELP PEOPLE IN LOUISIANA.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections