Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 10:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
there is no reason to think that Trump doubling-down on a hard-line immigration plan is going to get him more votes. Most voters want a softer immigration plan not one that restates the dubious promise of building a wall that Mexico has already decided they would not pay.

What I read from that speech is desperation -- not finally a new strategy to win -- because it's the same ole strategy.

Trump has majorly softened on his signature issue and in doing so has acknowledged is not practical/ possible to deport 11-12 million otherwise law abiding illegals.

Ignoring the root cause of the overwhelmingly majority of illegal immigration- jobs means nothing changes.

Ignoring a reasonable pathway to qualified legal residence while allowing employers to continue to employ undocumented workers means nothing changes.

I have no issues with ending block granting to sanctuary cities ( or multiple counties as it relates to Florida) That's up to Congress.

I have no issue will deporting criminals.

Trump mentioned the Secure Communities Program and 287 ( g) partnerships which historically sought to deputized local LE to act as ICE. State/ local LE are not inclined to divert their resources to do the fed's job unless the Fed pays them.

Doing so requires substantial Federal Funding to compensate local/ state LE. That's up to Congress.

Maybe Congress will be greatful that the sacred cow of employment of undocumented workers is off the table, they will plAy ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I agree with most of what Trump said. It was pretty much just enforce our existing laws. We have good immigration laws. I disagree with the wall thing, I suppose because I live in a border state, am a civil engineer and project manager and realize how implausible that would be. Also it is not needed if employers are stopped from hiring. Attack the demand not the supply.

But, I still can't vote for the guy. I have always said he can agree with me up and down the ledger but if he lacks the temperament and training to do the job, I won't hire him. Trump is just plain unfit to be President no matter how much I might agree with him.
He kicked the can on employment of undocumented workers, the historical root cause of illegal immigration.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I dont think you get the whole Mexico paying for the wall" thing works.

Trump does not mean that The Mexican government is going to pull out their checkbook and write a check for $10 billion dollars. I think 99.9% of liberals think thats what Trump means. No, Trump is going to make Mexico "pay" for the wall by taxing 10% on all remittances (IE western union money transfers) sent from the US to Mexico, it will be paid in full within 2 years.
So, he would basically seize the money from everyone sending money to Mexico, including US citizens. Unfortunately taking 10% would mean it takes 10 years to build the thing.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
Why do leftists get irritated about people chanting USA! USA! at a rally?
Why did Republicans get irritated when Dems chanted it at DNC

Old 09-01-2016, 11:12 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's illegal to employ undocumented workers. This has never been enforced. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority. Trump went weak in the knees on this topic.

So long as 11-12 million avoid getting arrested for a crime, they are free to go about their business.

Doing nothing is defacto amnesty.
They aren't undocumented workers they are illegal aliens.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm not aware of any poll taken that supports your claim that most voters want a softer immigration plan. Most people want a fair immigration plan, not one that gives amnesty to law breakers. The vast majority of what Trump proposes is enforcing current immigration laws. Why is that so horrible or so radical? If previous administrations had even attempted to enforce these laws in earnest, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. As far as the wall, it's a small price compared to the billions illegals now cost us. Whether Mexico pays for it or not, it's a bargain compared to the money currently spent on illegals by local, state and the federal government.

No shortage of polls/ surveys say most people favor a pathway to legal residence or citizenship.

What Americans want to do about illegal immigration | Pew Research Center

Where it seems to get bogged down is the criteria.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
He kicked the can on employment of undocumented workers, the historical root cause of illegal immigration.

He certainly did not! He mentioned e-verify as a part of his plan. And again, they aren't undocumented workers they are illegal aliens.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:15 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Undocumented people don't take anything.

US people and businesses employ them.

Trump has consistently favored allowing more foreign workers to work in the US legally.
First of all, they are illegal aliens, not "undocumented people.

They "don't take anything"? Are you serious?

They take far, far more than they give. As soon as they birth an anchor baby, the whole family is eligible for Section 8 housing. Due to said anchor baby, the family can tap into various welfare programs. Oh yeah, they are for the baby but the whole family benefits.

Then there are those who get paid under the table, thus engaging in tax evasion. They aren't contributing their fair share, are they?

What about the ones who engage in ID theft and put their victims in a world of hurt?

Did you know that the law says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it? If it happens to you, you only find out when the IRS comes after you for back taxes and not filing a return on a job you never worked.

They don't "take anything"? In what alternate universe does that happen. Wake up!

Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Trump has majorly softened on his signature issue and in doing so has acknowledged is not practical/ possible to deport 11-12 million otherwise law abiding illegals.

Ignoring the root cause of the overwhelmingly majority of illegal immigration- jobs means nothing changes.

Ignoring a reasonable pathway to qualified legal residence while allowing employers to continue to employ undocumented workers means nothing changes.

I have no issues with ending block granting to sanctuary cities ( or multiple counties as it relates to Florida) That's up to Congress.

I have no issue will deporting criminals.

Trump mentioned the Secure Communities Program and 287 ( g) partnerships which historically sought to deputized local LE to act as ICE. State/ local LE are not inclined to divert their resources to do the fed's job unless the Fed pays them.

Doing so requires substantial Federal Funding to compensate local/ state LE. That's up to Congress.

Maybe Congress will be greatful that the sacred cow of employment of undocumented workers is off the table, they will plAy ball.
Law abiding illegals is an oxymoron. They are all guilty of working with a fake or stolen SS number or for cash evading taxes. Those are felonies! They aren't undocumented workers either they are illegal aliens.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Law abiding illegals is an oxymoron. They are all guilty of working with a fake or stolen SS number or for cash evading taxes. Those are felonies! They aren't undocumented workers either they are illegal aliens.
When I think of undocumented workers, I think of someone here legally with a work permit, who misplaced or lost their permit. Illegal alien speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections