Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:26 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
First of all, they are illegal aliens, not "undocumented people.

They "don't take anything"? Are you serious?

They take far, far more than they give. As soon as they birth an anchor baby, the whole family is eligible for Section 8 housing. Due to said anchor baby, the family can tap into various welfare programs. Oh yeah, they are for the baby but the whole family benefits.

Then there are those who get paid under the table, thus engaging in tax evasion. They aren't contributing their fair share, are they?

What about the ones who engage in ID theft and put their victims in a world of hurt?

Did you know that the law says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it? If it happens to you, you only find out when the IRS comes after you for back taxes and not filing a return on a job you never worked.

They don't "take anything"? In what alternate universe does that happen. Wake up!
She can't wake up because for some reason, she has no clue or doesn't want to have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:28 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
When I think of undocumented workers, I think of someone here legally with a work permit, who misplaced or lost their permit. Illegal alien speaks for itself.
When I show up to work without my WORK ID I am an "undocumented worker". Illegal aliens are not undocumented workers. What do we call the Illegal aliens that do not work? "undocumented welfare recipients"?

Old 09-01-2016, 11:28 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No shortage of polls/ surveys say most people favor a pathway to legal residence or citizenship.

What Americans want to do about illegal immigration | Pew Research Center

Where it seems to get bogged down is the criteria.
Yep, the polls have been showing support for legalization even back in GW's days.

The one thing I find a little disturbing in reference to Trump's speech is that he seemed to prioritize removing the Visa overstays over those that entered the country illegally. If anyone deserves a shot at legalization it should be those that worked, did not use fraudulent ID and paid taxes, which is the case of many over-stays.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:30 AM

952 posts, read 518,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Ummm...because not everybody who is sneaking across the border is coming just to work. There are plenty of OTMs who sneak in with the intent of harming us.

Why would anyone be against the wall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU8dCYocuyI

Old 09-01-2016, 11:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There IS a wall already. How did that go up?
The existing wall is not continuous. There are huge gaps to accommodate gated communities, resorts, golf courses, a university and miles and miles of land owed by special interests.

The existing wall is not the same standard envisioned by Trump. Is the intent to tear it down and start over?

Reportedly, about 60% of the border land for the intended fence is either state or privately- owned. I assume Texas would be thrilled to enter into a long term lease of state- owned and otherwise useless land to the Federal Government. The disposition of privately- owned land will be more challenging to acquire Eminent domain, appeals and eventual suits to condemn take time and money. And then there are the special interests.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:33 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Then it should be easy for you to quote how he will make Mexico pay for it. I watched the speech, and he DID NOT explain anything.
there is in fact a thread on this board that links to his website that outlines exactly how. so....

Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I also believe that if we just had a President who actually made sure our current immigration laws were enforced we would be much better off.. The wall talk should be taken as more symbolic rather than literal. Sure, Trump ran with it hard after he saw the popularity of it during the primaries. After all, he loves praise lol.. If we were allowed to ENFORCE our current laws along with technology (sensors, drones, etc) we would not need a wall.
Employing undocumented workers is a federal crime. With the exception of the occasional spectacular raid, the federal government has never enforced this law or imposed serious consequences. It has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority.

Employment has been the root cause of illegal immigration all along. Instead of going for the root cause, Trump is going for the symbolic wall.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good speech, yes he did give more specifics than in the past: but if you think, for one second he can manage to find a way to get Mexico to pay for the fence you are not thinking with your head but with your heart. One more thing: the speech was a little to long; I caught myself dozing off. It is safe to say, he has done a couple of very positive things this past week or so, including the speech last night. It certainly isn't going to hurt him, but will it help him? That remains to be seen.
im ADHD, I listened to some of it. none of them get me for more than a few minutes at a time.

I later read then analyze what is being said.

and I am not thinking with my heart. nor am I stating that he will in fact do everything he says he will. as a fake historian I fully understand that no person elected president has done so.

as it relates to Mexico paying for the wall, all I am saying is that it is a lie to suggest that Trump has not outlined in some detail, how he will get Mexico to pay for it.

Will he be successful? I suspect in part but not in whole... but I do not believe a negotiating position is in fact the end game.

The issue is, the notion that he has said he will make Mexico pay, without giving details. He has in fact given details. we may not believe those details will be successful. but we may not suggest that there are none.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
i know there is. It got up the old fashioned way. I'm just saying realistically an entire large wall running all along the southern border may not be feasible due to terrain and environmental factors. That doesn't mean a wall still couldn't be built in many areas of the border along with stringent border patrol, not what is happening now. Doing that much alone, would probably cut border crossings by 90 percent. Also, give the border patrol as many employees and equipment to do their jobs as they need and for goodness sakes, don't tie their hands with political correctness.
While continuing to kick the can on the the root cause of illegal immigration, employment.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Did you really think that he would have specifics? Funny how his followers didn't even notice.
you are either willingly falling for a lie, or you are attempting to perpetrate the existing lie.

it is a lie that Mr. Trump has not provided detail. on any number of issues. There are TONS of details on Mr. Trumps plans.

you may not like them. you may seek to undermine them by pointing out the weakness of his arguments, but you cannot say he has not provided detailed plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections