Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:53 PM

79,900 posts, read 43,866,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
1. Did the support he gave Hillary hurt his credibility? Probably. But how deep the resentment I don't know. Maybe you do.
IMO he is still well liked but I don't think his supporters will support another candidate that says they will support the winner no matter what.

Quote:
2. As to sticking to political principles. I personally don't have political principles. I have political agendas. Agendas that I wish to come to fruition. I'm willing to work with who ever will best help me to achieve that. Even if my agendas aren't fully realized to the exact result I want. If it is close. I willing to deal with it.

I think for Bernie at the end of the day would have supported Clinton no matter what. For similar reason I stated above. He probably felt he could best make at least some of his overall agenda come to fruition by trading his support for some say in the democratic platform.
Watch. I will admit I am wrong if so. He wants someone more aligned with his thinking to head the DNC. The (D)'s are going to completely ignore that and go with Perez. I doubt he will but if that happens he needs to fully pull up stakes and be the independent he claims he is.

Quote:
Now. That not to say that Bernie wouldn't take more heat if he hadn't taken pledged to support the democratic nominee and then end up doing so. In fact perhaps he would have been mostly abandoned by his supporters if he did so. But for me. And my overly cynical point of view it seem the reasonable thing to do.

Call it sellout if you wish.....but it just doesn't bother all that much.
Sure. I'd venture to say you supported Hillary more than Bernie. I don't understand that but it is what it is.

Quote:
If I may now.

I know there are some that felt that if Bernie joined the Green Party that he could have still run and stuck to his principles. And perhaps that true. But I think he saw the same problem I did with the Green Party. That is while the Green Party does state a political Philosophy.....I do fine at the end of the day that the party is a cult of personality that revolves almost exclusively around Jill Stein. I remember going to the Green party's website and trying to find folk running for house seats and senate seat for the us congress. And honesty at the time I saw no promotion for any other canidates other than Jill Stein. So I said "ok I guess they have nobody running" closed the website and walked away. Then a couple weeks later I listen to NPR and they start talking about a race in Maryland that had a Green Party canidate in it. I say and said "what?" So soon after I went on google find this canidate and low and behold. A got a name and a title Dr. Margaret Flowers. So went back on the Green Party website looking to see it they were promoting her aaaaand nothing just more Jill Stein. I actually had to dig through their new section to find that that actually had some canidates out there that were running for congress. WTF? This is not (from my pov) how to build up a Party's power in order to affect change. Enough Jill Stein! Start promoting those guys going for house seats! Build your power base! Arrrgggh!
Anyways methinks Bernie saw 1. He could get more done being with democrats. 2. Possibly saw the futility of become a supporter/canidate for the Green Party.
This is common and I reject it. I see it as nothing more than an excuse. "I can't vote for someone in a National Race because there isn't enough of that party running in lesser races. WV had a candidate for governor from the Green Party. There were many but they do not have the $$$$ for operations that the (D)'s and (R)'s do.

I can think of almost nothing and nothing that really mattered in a big picture that Hillary has done that I support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 04:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,481,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sure. I'd venture to say you supported Hillary more than Bernie. I don't understand that but it is what it is.
I didn't vote for anyone for president. I only voted on state wide and local issues. Hillary didn't get my vote because I had the belief she would do nothing in the realm of finacail reform.
But interestingly enough trump's reopening Dodd frank. I'll be interested on see what his administration does/tries to do with it.

Quote:
This is common and I reject it. I see it as nothing more than an excuse. "I can't vote for someone in a National Race because there isn't enough of that party running in lesser races. WV had a candidate for governor from the Green Party. There were many but they do not have the $$$$ for operations that the (D)'s and (R)'s do.
I believe we had this argument months ago we both made our cases. We are going to have to agree to disagree that subject.
But will say that I believe that the Green Party needs to seriously focus on all of their canidates....at least on their website. I'm actually now less inclined to consider the Green Party because of their lack of support/promotion for candidates other than Jill Stein.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I didn't vote for anyone for president. I only voted on state wide and local issues. Hillary didn't get my vote because I had the belief she would do nothing in the realm of finacail reform.
OK, sorry for assuming.

Quote:
But interestingly enough trump's reopening Dodd frank. I'll be interested on see what his administration does/tries to do with it.
Rumors are he will. Do I trust him with it? No. I didn't vote for him. So we seem to agree that in this area Trump and Hillary are likely close to each other.

Quote:
I believe we had this argument months ago we both made our cases. We are going to have to agree to disagree that subject.
But will say that I believe that the Green Party needs to seriously focus on all of their canidates....at least on their website. I'm actually now less inclined to consider the Green Party because of their lack of support/promotion for candidates other than Jill Stein.
I don't recall ever checking out their website as that is not what I vote on.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I don't recall ever checking out their website as that is not what I vote on.
That usually my beginning step in finding out information or furthering initial information about most things. I very much doubt I'm alone in that regard.
Putting up information (more prominently) about your lesser known canidate (which is everybody but Jill Stein) on your main website is a fairly easy thing to do and it gives a little them more visibility. And let's face everybody but Jill Stein get next to nothing coverage in any other outlets/capacity. Give these folks a chance....the green party had a platform with their web sight....use it to further everybody in the party.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
That usually my beginning step in finding out information or furthering initial information about most things. I very much doubt I'm alone in that regard.
I imagine that is true.

Quote:
Putting up information (more prominently) about your lesser known canidate (which is everybody but Jill Stein) on your main website is a fairly easy thing to do and it gives a little them more visibility. And let's face everybody but Jill Stein get next to nothing coverage in any other outlets/capacity. Give these folks a chance....the green party had a platform with their web sight....use it to further everybody in the party.
Like I said, I never bothered but it appears their website lists the candidates.

2017 Candidates - www.gp.org

There is of course not going to be many in an off year. I don't know what it listed last year.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
2017 Candidates - www.gp.org

There is of course not going to be many in an off year. I don't know what it listed last year.
That was the problem when I looked in the late summer of 2016. I didn't see a list. I had dig though their news section to find my information on canidates.

But Now they have a list. Now we're talking.

Thank you for the update.

Last edited by baystater; 02-11-2017 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-12-2017, 05:44 PM

Bernie is in Charleston WV tonight. (about 80 miles). I thought about going but had things I needed to get done. A friend of mine went and just posted a video. There is a real nice size crowd there. Still larger than what Hillary was getting while campaigning.

The (D)'s screwed up big time.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 AM

2200 people on a winter night in Charleston WV is a pretty good turn out. (seems the party got it's retribution though in the end)

WV MetroNews – Sanders discusses future of movement, Trump in Charleston visit

And yes, I see the blinders still on many noted in the article. Bernie almost gets to the problem but then a spokesperson pulls him back.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:58 PM

25,571 posts, read 21,753,969 times
I can no longer resist the temptation after seeing this thread at the top so often, the thread should have read, "Bernie butt hits the curb, and hitting an all time low, he hits the campaign trail in a "do it or die" fashion for Hillary".

He was a broken man when he broke his promise to his supporters, but the Clintons can break them like no other human (term "human" being used loosely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections