Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:14 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times

Advertisements

This business in Detroit with Trump being wrapped in a Jewish prayer shawl, tallit, and being presented with two Jewish bibles, one for him and one for Melania, requires an explanation.

What came to my mind first was John 13:35

"You shall not be known by special rites or habits; not by a special form of dress or manner of speech; not by special austerities and unusual customs, like the Pharisees, the Essenes, or the scribes, but by deep, genuine, and tender affection."

Reference: John 13:35 Commentaries: "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Notice Trump was specifically dressed with the Tallit which is symbolic for "special rites and habits" and specifically "a special form of dress".

Some have tried to explain away the obvious symbolism. I. E. this was a celebration of interfaith between Christians and Jews. See: » Some Notes on Donald Trump’s Prayer Shawl and Jewish Heritage Bible Bartholomew’s Notes on Religion

So what is going here? Neither Trump nor Melania are Jewish.

Isn't a direct translation of welcoming Trump with symbols of the Jewish faith a direct message "Welcome Jew"? We see that you are not a Christian and dress you as a Jew.

Now do you understood the possible intentional break in coverage of this event?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 03:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Interesting. Not sure the media was aware of all of that. But the viewers from around the nation witnessed some more obvious pandering on Trump's part. Are you saying the religious leaders are indirectly saying, "you're not using us as a political ploy"?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Interesting. Not sure the media was aware of all of that. But the viewers from around the nation witnessed some more obvious pandering on Trump's part. Are you saying the religious leaders are indirectly saying, "you're not using us as a political ploy"?
Salvation in the black church is very specific.

There are multiple steps involved. The third is one must repent of his sins in order to be saved (Acts 17:30-31).

Another article I read shows how Trump still has white Evangelical voters despite:

"Trump is a living repudiation of everything religious conservatives claim to believe in."

Cite: Donald Trump Is Playing the Religious Right for Rubes - The Daily Beast

Salvation does not present itself as a Yes? or No? question in the white Evangelical world. Instead a personal relationship with Christ is more nebulous.

Blacks generally are very religious and in a far more direct and sharing manner. Your spiritual journey is the business of the whole congregation.

So unlike the article shows in regards to playing Whites as "rubes" Trump is unable to hide who he is from the view of protesting black pastors.

"Trump says he’s never asked God for forgiveness, which should hardly come as a surprise considering that he has probably never asked anyone for forgiveness, let alone a higher power."

Same citation.

Accordingly, he was received and not allowed to pretend he is a Christian.

If he was accepted as a fellow Christian, would it not have been appropriate to have given him a Christian Bible?

Last edited by pbmaise; 09-05-2016 at 05:25 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 05:37 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
There should be no surprises here, politicians have been "kissing babies" since this all began. When you see a politician eating at some ethnic restaurant, or visiting some factory, or going to a black or Jewish house of worship, it is all for show and has one intended result..............to get more votes. Donald (while I really dislike him) was doing exactly that with his recent trips to Mexico, black churches, flood victims in Louisiana, etc.

In his case, though, it really comes across as phony because of Donald being Donald. When I saw the video of him "dancing" at that black service, it was really hard to watch. You could tell he would rather be anywhere else at that moment than there. I bet he was thinking "If I don't get a lot of votes out of this I am going to bomb the **** out of this place !"

Don

Old 09-05-2016, 06:21 AM

He's not getting Black votes or Hispanic votes, all of this show in Mexico and Detroit was to garner more White voters who now see that he's not the racist we think he is. Granted you'll have to forget the Muslim, Hispanic, African American derogatory statements he's made over the past 15 months.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:08 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,703,121 times
Since the trumpists don't let anyone forget trump's competitor's history, let us not forget trump's history. An attempt to pander to blacks may convince a few that he really, truly has changed (hallelujah, a miracle! <snort of derision>) , but it really won't convince enough for him to win.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:15 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
I am glad that Trump decided to shine some light on the plight of the African-Americans and Hispanics.

It only took 14 out of 16 campaign months since his declaration, so it must mean that he is very sincere.

Mick

Old 09-05-2016, 05:56 PM

A very ringing denouncment of Trump in the NY Times.

Gospel of John also cited as reason for Detroit's cool reception.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/05/op...s-detroit.html

Old 09-05-2016, 06:06 PM

I think the Black voter will remember him saying you've got pathetic, crappy lives what do you have to lose, vote Trump (paraphrased) will stick in their minds.

Wish they'd remember this as well.....racist comment, imo.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Sadly, because president Obama has done such a poor job as president, you won't see another black president for generations!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...57586316165120

Old 09-05-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I think the Black voter will remember him saying you've got pathetic, crappy lives what do you have to lose, vote Trump (paraphrased) will stick in their minds.

Wish they'd remember this as well.....racist comment, imo.

Donald J. TrumpVerified account
‏@realDonaldTrump
Sadly, because president Obama has done such a poor job as president, you won't see another black president for generations!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...57586316165120
I will not claim I understand everything. However, I grew up in the Detroit area and recall race riots and when the local papers made it a new rule to not mention a person's color unless it was critical to understand the story.

To be politically correct it became also improper to do exactly what Trump does.

To Trump, Obama is not POTUS and a man. To Trump he is a "black president".

How disrespectful can you get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections