Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 03:18 PM

1,229 posts, read 862,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
I was talking to friends who are Hillary supporters and after discussing Trump's campaign platform with them they all seemed to agree that it all sounded like a good idea.

I'm going to quickly summarize it and if you could please tell me what about it you don't like I would love to hear it.

The reasons I support Trump are very straight forward. It is because he will put Americans FIRST. He will make sure that any policy he puts forward will protect the citizens and legal immigrants of this country before it benefits anyone else. This includes:

1. Trade policy - we come first. No more shipping our jobs overseas for other countries to benefit while hard working Americans suffer.

2. No more paying for illegal activity. Money spent on giving welfare, food stamps, and healthcare goes to Americans first. We have many people in need here and they should be top priority.

3. Not bringing in refugees from other countries and wasting tax payer money on it. He will build a safe zone in their country so they are protected.

4. Put American's safety first. If someone wants to immigrate here from a country of known terrorism we need to be sure they do not intend to hurt or kill our citizens.

5. No more race baiting or blaming the police force.

6. Rebuild the inner cities and give minorities a chance to be successful instead of giving handouts.

7. Rework our health care system - people are spending too much of their money on a basic necessity.

8. Allow legal immigrants including Mexican immigrants to have a better life. They should not have to compete for work with someone who is here getting paid under the table and undercutting wages. They worked hard to legally migrate here and deserve to be treated like everyone else and have the same opportunities.

9. Stop starting wars like in Syria and Libya. He was against the Iraq war which is widely thought to be the spark that started ISIS.

10. Get corruption out of the government. He is an outsider who is tired of seeing Washington being ineffective at governing.

11. Then there are lots of superficial reasons I like him - he is funny and charismatic (he was the host of the Apprentice). He is down to earth and tries to relate to all Americans especially the working class. I think his wife and daughters are beautiful and it would be cool to have a hot first lady and presidents daughters.

Parker501 ----

Super post....I'd rep you ten times if I could.

I move specifically to 11) and agree with you wholeheartedly.

I like Trump the person!! Absolutely love the guy...

He reminds me of my father....my good friends and lots of people I grew up with.

He's old-school, authentic, genuine, brash, intuitive, streetsmart, gregarious
And on and on and on.....

The only thing I don't like about his platform that I can think of right now - is his condemnation of Iran, and possibly his plan to become more adversarial with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 03:34 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,247,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Illegal immigration hasn't had much effect on wages. Those people are taking the lowest wage and unskilled jobs, mainly the jobs that natives won't do. They aren't taking retail or manufacturing jobs. They aren't taking high-tech jobs.

Regarding ISIS, Trump doesn't have any sensible way of dealing with ISIS. Remember, he recently said we should use nukes against them.
Tell that to the over 1 million American carpenters they have displaced.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:35 PM

22,537 posts, read 12,103,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Illegal immigration hasn't had much effect on wages. Those people are taking the lowest wage and unskilled jobs, mainly the jobs that natives won't do. They aren't taking retail or manufacturing jobs. They aren't taking high-tech jobs.

Regarding ISIS, Trump doesn't have any sensible way of dealing with ISIS. Remember, he recently said we should use nukes against them.
Wow! You are really out of touch if you think that "illegal immigration hasn't had much effect on wages". Do you seriously believe that?

All those "lowest wage and unskilled jobs" not only used to be done by "natives" are still being done by "natives". If you opened your eyes and observed your surroundings you would see that it is true. For example, even in immigrant-heavy cities, you will find Americans cleaning hotel rooms and working back of the house restaurant jobs.

Why do you think that so many Hispanics are now working construction? Americans still want those jobs but also expect a fair wage and safe working conditions. Many Americans in the construction fields have lost their livelihoods because they couldn't compete with sleazy contractors who paid illegals under the table, thus committing tax evasion. Honest contractors pay a decent wage. They also are licensed, bonded and insured and pay all taxes and licensing fees.

As for "high tech jobs" --- You know darn well that H1-B visa holders have displaced many Americans in the STEM/IT jobs.

Just because your health insurance costs went down due to Obamacare, doesn't mean that everybody else's also did. Many people lost their insurance or saw their rates climb so high that they couldn't afford the payments. You probably think that those who lost their health insurance are lying. You have to realize that just because you got yours, not everybody else did either.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:32 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,318,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump's Platform -- What's not to like?

1. Trump's bigoted and hateful remarks against Hispanics.
2. Trump's xenophobia.
3. Trump's mocking of a disabled person.
4. Trump's association with white nationalist groups (the Alt-Right)
5. Trump's obsession with Vladimir Putin.
6. Trump hired an Alt-Right hate group sympathizer Bannon from Brietbart.
7. Trump's statements to undermine the security of NATO.
8. Trump's proposals for another round of "trickle down" tax cuts for the rich, which will explode the deficit.
9. Trump's poor judgment in hiring people (Manafort and Bannon).
10. Trump's complete lack of experience in government.
11. Trump's track record of business fraud, nonpayment to small businesses, and bankruptcies. Lack of ethics in business dealings.
12. Open letters from former military and intelligence officers who say he is unfit to serve and is a security risk if elected.

There's more, but that's enough for now.
^^^^^This. He's a fraud.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:55 PM

1,043 posts, read 902,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
Parker501 ----

Super post....I'd rep you ten times if I could.

I move specifically to 11) and agree with you wholeheartedly.

I like Trump the person!! Absolutely love the guy...

He reminds me of my father....my good friends and lots of people I grew up with.

He's old-school, authentic, genuine, brash, intuitive, streetsmart, gregarious
And on and on and on.....

The only thing I don't like about his platform that I can think of right now - is his condemnation of Iran, and possibly his plan to become more adversarial with them.

Thanks At-Chilles.

I will have to look more closely at his proposals for Iran...

Thanks for the input.

And yeah, what a great First Family they would make!!

Old 09-12-2016, 05:04 PM

10,512 posts, read 5,195,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
^^^^^This. He's a fraud.
You got it. When you dig into Trump's prior business dealings, including being named in 3,500 lawsuits, you find a consistent theme of fraud, dishonest dealings, unpaid contractors and other shady dealings. He is the most unethical candidate ever to be nominated.

If he is elected president I predict -- and I mean this with all seriousness -- he become embroiled in a massive scandal that will force him to resign or be impeached. He will use the Oval Office as a platform to make deals for himself and break all kinds of laws in the process. He won't be able to resist.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:09 PM

12,066 posts, read 6,615,551 times
I wish Trump would step down and let Pence run in his place.
I like and respect Pence. I don't like or respect Teump
But I support most of their policies.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:14 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,995,572 times
His platform advocates huge tax breaks for the donor class and subsequent massive cuts in programs benefiting the 99% here in America. He also has presented a list of who he wants to nominate for the supreme court, they are clones of justice Scalia. He will open all the floodgates to bribe money in our election system. This means that it will be impossible to win office again for a candidate without begging the super rich for money. Terrible.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:23 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,318,761 times
On the one hand, it might be fun to watch Trump try to be president as he has no idea what the job entails or what the powers of the various branches of government are--no idea. Watching Ann Coulter and the alt-right freak out over the lack of a wall or mass deportations would also be entertaining. Just watching his following discover who he really is and what he really thinks would be great fun.

On the other hand, I honestly believe that there could be an attempted or a real military coup with Bozo the Clown ordering the military to do things they are at odds with the country and calling shots. Of course, maybe his whole terrorist spiel is also fake--but if not--people will revolt against torture and murder of families who are not terrorists themselves. And the whole idea of Christie, Giuliani, Palin, Flynn and Bannon in the WH makes me want to throw up, and I'm really not sure all of those narcissistic and huge egos can fit in the Oval Office.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:26 PM

1,043 posts, read 902,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
On the one hand, it might be fun to watch Trump try to be president as he has no idea what the job entails or what the powers of the various branches of government are--no idea. Watching Ann Coulter and the alt-right freak out over the lack of a wall or mass deportations would also be entertaining. Just watching his following discover who he really is and what he really thinks would be great fun.

On the other hand, I honestly believe that there could be an attempted or a real military coup with Bozo the Clown ordering the military to do things they are at odds with the country and calling shots. Of course, maybe his whole terrorist spiel is also fake--but if not--people will revolt against torture and murder of families who are not terrorists themselves. And the whole idea of Christie, Giuliani, Palin, Flynn and Bannon in the WH makes me want to throw up, and I'm really not sure all of those narcissistic and huge egos can fit in the Oval Office.
Just curious - of the 10 points I listed on Trump's platform which of them do you disagree with and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections