Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:52 AM

17,377 posts, read 11,355,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, no you dont. Your taxes go to fund the federal government.. The fact that they get tax breaks does not mean you are paying for their expenses, it means their expenses are just reduced..
Semantics. They pay less income taxes and state taxes to pay for their expenses including childcare. I pay more so they can pay less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:55 AM

24,056 posts, read 15,168,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It goes to show you that some things are not so cut and dry and conservatives and or Republicans will support what they believe will benefit us as a country. It's not about partisanship all the time.
On the other hand, try to find some conservative issues that the left has supported? I don't think there are many.
Barry Goldwater was a strong believer in the right to live in a pollution free environment. He also was a strong supporter of the free enterprise system. But if business was poisoning the environment, the government should shut them down. The Sierra Club was founded by conservatives.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:05 AM

51,673 posts, read 25,930,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No, no you dont. Your taxes go to fund the federal government.. The fact that they get tax breaks does not mean you are paying for their expenses, it means their expenses are just reduced..
Their expenses are not reduced. They still get the same police protection and other government services such as national defense.

When corporations get tax breaks, churches are tax exempt, people get tax deductions..., the rest of us end up picking up their share of the tab. Or it goes on the credit card and we pass the bill on to the next group of taxpayers.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were put on the credit card as we didn't have any extra in the bank to pay for them and we didn't raise taxes to bring in more. Corporations like Halliburton made a boatload of money. They didn't have to pony up to pay for it but somebody will.

Our national defense budget is outrageous. Considering we have already caught and dealt with the guy behind 9/11, I am at a loss as to why we are still involved in all that is going on in the Middle East. Apparently, we are trying to keep the bad guys from taking over but I'm at a loss at trying to figure out who the bad guys are. I can't pronounce most the names and have no idea who is on which side today.

Kurds seem to be only honorable fighters in the group. I say we back them and let the chips fall where they may with the rest of them. Just my opinion, of course.

If we want to subsidize child care, it's fine by me. But how do we plan to pay for it?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:55 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,313,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What do people want? If what you say were true, liberals should want to vote for him in droves. Perhaps Trump could be called a realistic conservative. Most of the conservatives I know, including me, want FISCAL conservatism, but do not want the old social conservatism. I want low taxes, and an end to waste and government bloat. The govt doesnt need more money, it needs to do more with less money.
Yeah, that's why when government programs come out that benefit everyone the vast majority turn them away. Most people don't give a fig about fiscal conservatism. If Trump wins and comes out with a liberal 10 points social set of programs for the middle class they will eat it up. You are fooling yourself if you think Glenn Beck and his ilk would win that argument. The reason liberals don't vote for him is because of his views and how often he stumbles. Had he polished himself up after the primaries and took a more professional tone I think he would have drawn more than the average amount of cross over Democratic votes. It's still not going to be a ton though because people don't do cross over voting much anymore.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:03 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,305,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Parental leave is great for the economy as it makes it much easier for women to combine a career with family. We are living in the 21st century and you are living in a society. Highly educated women dropping out of the workforce by the millions because its so difficult to combine a career with family affects you! You might deny that it affects you but it really does.
By the millions??? That's an exaggeration. Anyway, I'm not against the idea of parental leave, but I am opposed to the government subsidizing it, regardless if it's via taxation or tax deductions. Many companies (mine included) already provide this type of benefit. There's no need for the gov't to be involved in something that should be a private matter anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Trump was never a conservative. Conservatives have just kept deluding themselves with the belief that will become one of them. He is a NY liberal at heart. He gets into office and you will see a whole lot of stuff like that. He's also calling for birth control to be sold over the counter with no prescription needed. Next thing you know he will bend on the Supreme Court, or the wall, or.....You can see where this ends up. The idea that Trump is molded right out of the Heritage Foundation is laughable.
I agree, especially when he was recently a registered Democrat. Quite frankly, I think the man is all over the place politically, and he's doing a pretty good amount of flip flopping. I'm glad there are some prominent Republicans who are seeing his true colors and refuse to support him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What do people want? If what you say were true, liberals should want to vote for him in droves. Perhaps Trump could be called a realistic conservative. Most of the conservatives I know, including me, want FISCAL conservatism, but do not want the old social conservatism. I want low taxes, and an end to waste and government bloat. The govt doesnt need more money, it needs to do more with less money.
I'm definitely in the camp of fiscal conservatism, but I tend to be more liberal on social issues, so I agree with you there. Trump is not realistic when he calls for banning Muslims and building a Berlin styled wall. Quite honestly, I doubt if he's serious about some of these proposals ... he's just saying these things to pander to a certain segment of the population, which I'll have to admit he does quite well.

Quote:
I as a conservative agree with this. I'm single, no kids and I get no tax breaks but I do understand that people with children to support have it a lot harder. I'm all for the 6 weeks with pay and the help with childcare. It's the right thing to do. It's a no brainer for me.
Having children is a choice, and choice lifestyles shouldn't be subsidized by the gov't, plain & simple. I don't expect my choice to be childless to be paid for by the gov't, so why should breeders expect handouts and special breaks? Again, I'm not against the idea of parental leave or the concept of FMLA (especially being a person who had to take time off from work to care for a sick parent), but let the employers decide if they want to offer these kinds of benefits. I would think that as a conservative, this would be a no brainer for you.

Quote:
It goes to show you that some things are not so cut and dry and conservatives and or Republicans will support what they believe will benefit us as a country. It's not about partisanship all the time.
On the other hand, try to find some conservative issues that the left has supported? I don't think there are many.
Actually, Bill Clinton supported some conservative ideas when he was in office: DOMA, welfare reform, and a balanced budget to name a few. Then again, he really wasn't a liberal President like Obama is.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,232,612 times
Quote:
Semantics. They pay less income taxes and state taxes to pay for their expenses including childcare. I pay more so they can pay less.
No, you dont pay more.. the debt is just higher. There isnt semantics in FACTS.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,232,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Their expenses are not reduced. They still get the same police protection and other government services such as national defense.

When corporations get tax breaks, churches are tax exempt, people get tax deductions..., the rest of us end up picking up their share of the tab. Or it goes on the credit card and we pass the bill on to the next group of taxpayers.

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were put on the credit card as we didn't have any extra in the bank to pay for them and we didn't raise taxes to bring in more. Corporations like Halliburton made a boatload of money. They didn't have to pony up to pay for it but somebody will.

Our national defense budget is outrageous. Considering we have already caught and dealt with the guy behind 9/11, I am at a loss as to why we are still involved in all that is going on in the Middle East. Apparently, we are trying to keep the bad guys from taking over but I'm at a loss at trying to figure out who the bad guys are. I can't pronounce most the names and have no idea who is on which side today.

Kurds seem to be only honorable fighters in the group. I say we back them and let the chips fall where they may with the rest of them. Just my opinion, of course.

If we want to subsidize child care, it's fine by me. But how do we plan to pay for it?
If my tax bill should be $5,000 and its only $4,000 due to a tax break then my expenses go down. The fact that other expenses remain the same for someone else, (in your example, the government) is immaterial to the discussion since we're talking the person who has an expense of childcare.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:28 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,989,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
By the millions??? That's an exaggeration.
Its not an exaggeration. How can women combine work and children when the political system tell them to just go pound salt and just serves big business? We would have a far, far higher female labor force participation rate if child care was heavily subsidized for ever working mom and we had a proper parental leave policy but instead we are joining Papua New Guinea as the only country without paid parental leave.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:39 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,244,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Barry Goldwater was a strong believer in the right to live in a pollution free environment. He also was a strong supporter of the free enterprise system. But if business was poisoning the environment, the government should shut them down. The Sierra Club was founded by conservatives.
Not really. Muir (the founder) was a Progressive. And once Berkeley got involved it just kept going Left from there. Today the Sierra Club is run by radical Bolsheviks.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:50 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,305,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its not an exaggeration. How can women combine work and children when the political system tell them to just go pound salt and just serves big business? We would have a far, far higher female labor force participation rate if child care was heavily subsidized for ever working mom and we had a proper parental leave policy but instead we are joining Papua New Guinea as the only country without paid parental leave.
Sometimes it comes down to choosing between one or the other, that's a fact of life. Many companies already offer family/parental leave (my company recently increased the amount of time off allotted for parental leave, which includes both parents, not just mothers). If somebody happens to be employed at a firm that doesn't offer such a benefit, which is often the smaller business, too bad so sad. It shouldn't be the government's responsibility to subsidize people's personal lifestyle choices, including their reproductive decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections